Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Strange gong sounds

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 17, 2005 10:29:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Hey all,

I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have anything
to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH, anything), I can
hear it anywhere so it's not something area specific either. Chat log
doesn't say anything either.

Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of is guild
members entering/leaving the game.

Just curious :) 

TIA

Devast8or

More about : strange gong sounds

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 17, 2005 10:29:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Devast8or wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have anything
> to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH, anything), I can
> hear it anywhere so it's not something area specific either. Chat log
> doesn't say anything either.
>
> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of is guild
> members entering/leaving the game.
>
> Just curious :) 
>
> TIA
>
> Devast8or
>
>
Do you have any mods installed?

CQw, Raidassist, and CQpvp all do that sort of thing.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 17, 2005 11:22:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Matt DeMoss" <"mdemoss[ wrote:
> Devast8or wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have
>> anything to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH,
>> anything), I can hear it anywhere so it's not something area
>> specific either. Chat log doesn't say anything either.
>>
>> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of
>> is guild members entering/leaving the game.
>>
>> Just curious :) 
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Devast8or
>>
>>
> Do you have any mods installed?
>
> CQw, Raidassist, and CQpvp all do that sort of thing.

No, no mods installed.

Devast8or
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 17, 2005 11:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:42da9288$0$67256$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk...
> Matt DeMoss" <"mdemoss[ wrote:
>> Devast8or wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have
>>> anything to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH,
>>> anything), I can hear it anywhere so it's not something area
>>> specific either. Chat log doesn't say anything either.
>>>
>>> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of
>>> is guild members entering/leaving the game.
>>>
>>> Just curious :) 
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Devast8or
>>>
>>>
>> Do you have any mods installed?
>>
>> CQw, Raidassist, and CQpvp all do that sort of thing.
>
> No, no mods installed.

There is a type of 'gong' sound, when someone on your friends list enters or
leaves the game. Other gong-ish noises I can think of, are the town bells or
horns that sound at the top of the hour, and the sound made when your
char enters a PvP state (intentionally or unknowingly).
-Marshall
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 18, 2005 2:35:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Marshall wrote:
>
> There is a type of 'gong' sound, when someone on your friends list
> enters or leaves the game.

But when it's people on the friends it's also displayed in the log, and I
get nothing on these gong sounds.

> Other gong-ish noises I can think of, are
> the town bells or horns that sound at the top of the hour,

Not these either, the sound is much deeper than the bells

> and the
> sound made when your
> char enters a PvP state (intentionally or unknowingly).

I'm on a PVP server, so I don't enter/exit PVP state, do I?

Devast8or
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 18, 2005 2:35:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in news:42dabfcd$0$67259
$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk:

>> Other gong-ish noises I can think of, are
>> the town bells or horns that sound at the top of the hour,
>
> Not these either, the sound is much deeper than the bells

I'm willing to bet this is what you're hearing. Note that different towns
have different pitches. I'm not sure if you're alliance or horde, but I
know Orgrimmar has a deep gong type sound.

Check what time it is next time it happens!

Good luck and have fun
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 18, 2005 2:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

is it the error log. i get a sound sometimes when my error addon in cosmos
gets an error.

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:42dabfcd$0$67259$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk...
> Marshall wrote:
>>
>> There is a type of 'gong' sound, when someone on your friends list
>> enters or leaves the game.
>
> But when it's people on the friends it's also displayed in the log, and I
> get nothing on these gong sounds.
>
>> Other gong-ish noises I can think of, are
>> the town bells or horns that sound at the top of the hour,
>
> Not these either, the sound is much deeper than the bells
>
>> and the
>> sound made when your
>> char enters a PvP state (intentionally or unknowingly).
>
> I'm on a PVP server, so I don't enter/exit PVP state, do I?
>
> Devast8or
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 18, 2005 7:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:35:56 +0200, "Devast8or"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Marshall wrote:

>> and the
>> sound made when your
>> char enters a PvP state (intentionally or unknowingly).
>
>I'm on a PVP server, so I don't enter/exit PVP state, do I?

Afaik, you do when you move from a friendly to a non-friendly zone.
Eg. Barrens -> Stonetalon. You can choose to enable PvP all the time,
but in friendly zones you don't have to.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
July 18, 2005 2:14:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:42da8620$0$78279$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity.dk...
> Hey all,
>
> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have anything
> to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH, anything), I can
> hear it anywhere so it's not something area specific either. Chat log
> doesn't say anything either.
>
> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of is
> guild
> members entering/leaving the game.
>
> Just curious :) 
>
> TIA
>
> Devast8or
>

If your in a town, the sound its the striking of the hour, like a clock
tower bell
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 11:06:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:29:06 +0200, "Devast8or"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have anything
>to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH, anything), I can
>hear it anywhere so it's not something area specific either. Chat log
>doesn't say anything either.
>
>Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of is guild
>members entering/leaving the game.
>
>Just curious :) 
>
>TIA
>
>Devast8or
>
I get a loud "clang" when something in the UI throws an error. As I
have Cosmos installed, it's accompanied by the appearence of a new
"bubble" at the bottom of the minimap circle, rather than an error box
mid-screen.

You say you've no mods installed, which would be the usual/most common
source of such things. Whilst I don't *not* believe you, I've been in
the software game long enough to know not to take every such answer at
face value - you haven't dabbled with mods at some time and left one
lying around in the Interface/AddOns folder, have you? Or someone
else with access to your computer, perhaps? Unlikely, I know, but
always worth asking...

Cheers - Ian
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 11:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Alex wrote:
> "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:42da8620$0$78279$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity.dk...
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have
>> anything to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH,
>> anything), I can hear it anywhere so it's not something area
>> specific either. Chat log doesn't say anything either.
>>
>> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of
>> is guild
>> members entering/leaving the game.
>>
>> Just curious :) 
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Devast8or
>>
>
> If your in a town, the sound its the striking of the hour, like a
> clock tower bell

Nope, not the striking of the hour. I heard it last night at 21:56 and the
sound was only there once.

Devast8or
July 19, 2005 12:56:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>> If your in a town, the sound its the striking of the hour, like a
>> clock tower bell
>
> Nope, not the striking of the hour. I heard it last night at 21:56 and the
> sound was only there once.
>
> Devast8or
>

Then it's the 'You are PvP' gong. The gong of impending doom (yours or
theirs)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 9:05:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Ian Noble wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:29:06 +0200, "Devast8or"
> <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have
>> anything to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH,
>> anything), I can hear it anywhere so it's not something area
>> specific either. Chat log doesn't say anything either.
>>
>> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of
>> is guild members entering/leaving the game.
>>
>> Just curious :) 
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Devast8or
>>
> I get a loud "clang" when something in the UI throws an error. As I
> have Cosmos installed, it's accompanied by the appearence of a new
> "bubble" at the bottom of the minimap circle, rather than an error box
> mid-screen.
>
> You say you've no mods installed, which would be the usual/most common
> source of such things. Whilst I don't *not* believe you, I've been in
> the software game long enough to know not to take every such answer at
> face value

Fair enough, software works in mysterious ways :) 

- you haven't dabbled with mods at some time and left one
> lying around in the Interface/AddOns folder, have you? Or someone
> else with access to your computer, perhaps? Unlikely, I know, but
> always worth asking...

No addons at any time (only started playing the game a bit more than a month
ago, wanna learn the game "for real" before altering it), and noone else has
access to the comp.

Devast8or
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 9:09:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Alex wrote:
>>> If your in a town, the sound its the striking of the hour, like a
>>> clock tower bell
>>
>> Nope, not the striking of the hour. I heard it last night at 21:56
>> and the sound was only there once.
>>
>> Devast8or
>>
>
> Then it's the 'You are PvP' gong. The gong of impending doom (yours or
> theirs)

The sound did come right as I went from SW City to the bridge at the
entrance (right where the mounted lvl 62 city guard is). sounds fair enough
that this is a new area I entered.

I'll check where I am the next time I hear it.

Devast8or (I thought this was an easy question, I swear :) 
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 9:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:42dd168a$0$78281$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity.dk...
> Alex wrote:
>>>> If your in a town, the sound its the striking of the hour, like a
>>>> clock tower bell
>>>
>>> Nope, not the striking of the hour. I heard it last night at 21:56
>>> and the sound was only there once.
>>>
>>> Devast8or
>>>
>>
>> Then it's the 'You are PvP' gong. The gong of impending doom (yours or
>> theirs)
>
> The sound did come right as I went from SW City to the bridge at the
> entrance (right where the mounted lvl 62 city guard is). sounds fair enough
> that this is a new area I entered.
>
> I'll check where I am the next time I hear it.

Yes, you do hear a gong-ish noise when you enter a new area for the first
time, with a char. That would indeed explain it, if it's the case. If you see
the yellow text on your screen saying (more or less)- "Stormwind City
discovered, 450 experience gained", and you hear the noise at that point,
then yup, that's your answer.
-Marshall
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 10:49:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:42da8620$0$78279$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity.dk...
> Hey all,
>
> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have anything
> to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH, anything), I can
> hear it anywhere so it's not something area specific either. Chat log
> doesn't say anything either.
>
> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think of is
> guild
> members entering/leaving the game.
>
> Just curious :) 
>
> TIA
>
> Devast8or
>
>

Gotta say this one is a stumper. The only thing like that I ever hear that
doesn't list something in one of my chat channels is when someone near me
levels. When that happens I hear that leveling sound that is a lot like a
gong. And since people can level pretty much anywhere, I've heard it in a
lot of different places.

Good luck figuring it out!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 11:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Marshall wrote:

>>
>> The sound did come right as I went from SW City to the bridge at the
>> entrance (right where the mounted lvl 62 city guard is). sounds fair
>> enough that this is a new area I entered.
>>
>> I'll check where I am the next time I hear it.
>
> Yes, you do hear a gong-ish noise when you enter a new area for the
> first time, with a char. That would indeed explain it, if it's the
> case. If you see the yellow text on your screen saying (more or
> less)- "Stormwind City discovered, 450 experience gained", and you
> hear the noise at that point, then yup, that's your answer.
> -Marshall

Ah yes, forgot about that sound. Not that either, I've been in and out of SW
100's of times.

Devast8or
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 19, 2005 11:45:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:42dd3afa$0$67259$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk...
> Marshall wrote:
>
>>>
>>> The sound did come right as I went from SW City to the bridge at the
>>> entrance (right where the mounted lvl 62 city guard is). sounds fair
>>> enough that this is a new area I entered.
>>>
>>> I'll check where I am the next time I hear it.
>>
>> Yes, you do hear a gong-ish noise when you enter a new area for the
>> first time, with a char. That would indeed explain it, if it's the
>> case. If you see the yellow text on your screen saying (more or
>> less)- "Stormwind City discovered, 450 experience gained", and you
>> hear the noise at that point, then yup, that's your answer.
>> -Marshall
>
> Ah yes, forgot about that sound. Not that either, I've been in and out of SW
> 100's of times.

Well, if you can't tie it to any particular activity or situation, then I guess
we give up :-)
-Marshall
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 2:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Marshall wrote:
>>
>> Ah yes, forgot about that sound. Not that either, I've been in and
>> out of SW 100's of times.
>
> Well, if you can't tie it to any particular activity or situation,

Heh, that was I hoped you guys could help me do :) 

> then I guess we give up :-)

Me too. I'll keep an eye out for area transitions and guildies
entering/leaving next time I hear it, but that's about the only things I can
think of.

Thanks for all the help guys. Let's just close this thread now :) 

Devast8or
July 20, 2005 3:45:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Devast8or <invalid@invalid.invalid> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> Alex wrote:
>> "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:42da8620$0$78279$157c6196@dreader1.cybercity.dk...
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I sometimes get a gong-like sound in WoW. It doesn't seem to have
>>> anything to do with what I'm doing (killing, idling in town, AH,
>>> anything), I can hear it anywhere so it's not something area
>>> specific either. Chat log doesn't say anything either.
>>>
>>> Anyone has any idea what it might be? The only thing I can think
>>> of
>>> is guild
>>> members entering/leaving the game.
>>>
>>> Just curious :) 
>>>
>>>
>>
>> If your in a town, the sound its the striking of the hour, like a
>> clock tower bell
>
> Nope, not the striking of the hour. I heard it last night at 21:56
> and the sound was only there once.

Your time or game time? If it was your time, your time zone might be 3
hours behind the server (making it 1am on the server) time plus your
clock is 4 minutes slow :) 

Next time you hear it, count the gongs and then check the server time
(the little night/day indicator on your mini-map).

--
Doc
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 3:45:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Doc wrote:
>>
>> Nope, not the striking of the hour. I heard it last night at 21:56
>> and the sound was only there once.
>
> Your time or game time? If it was your time, your time zone might be 3
> hours behind the server (making it 1am on the server) time plus your
> clock is 4 minutes slow :) 

I checked the clock in the game. Also AFAIK the EU servers are located in
Sweden and I'm in Denmark (same timezone, we're neighbours).

> Next time you hear it, count the gongs and then check the server time
> (the little night/day indicator on your mini-map).

That's what I did :) 

Devast8or
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 20, 2005 3:45:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:07:31 +0200, "Devast8or"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I checked the clock in the game. Also AFAIK the EU servers are located in
>Sweden and I'm in Denmark (same timezone, we're neighbours).

Hmm, Im pretty sure they are located in France.

Aah, yes: "Position based in Velizy, France (southwest of Paris)", on
all job openings at Blizzard Europe (link:
http://www.blizzard.co.uk/jobopp/index.shtml).

The exact address seems to be (same link as above):
Blizzard Europe
A l'attention du Responsable du Recrutement
32 avenue de l'Europe Immeuble Energy 1
78140 VELIZY


But I do remember some people during the last stages of the EU beta,
who were agitating for placing some or all of the servers in
Sweeden/Finland because those countries apparently have superior
internet pipes (in their words, I have no idea if it is true...).

In any case, Denmark is still in the same timezone as Paris, so still
server-time = real-time here.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
!