Solved

Can someone determine how much watts is on this power supply?

Hi there guys,

I found this in my closet and realized it was a power supply that was bundled in a computer case, now my question is how many watts can it put down? I know for a fact that its over rated, and its not 500 watts as it was labelled as. It also says 3.3v, 5v and 12v total output shall not exceed 427.9 watts. I am doubting that rating as well.

The model number is : RS-500-PSAR-I3 (Make: Cooler Master)

I don't plan on using this ticking time bomb any time in the future but was just curious. Below is a picture of the power supply specs.

Is it actually around 428 watts or is it probably less?

Thanks for answering and Happy Holidays :)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about determine watts power supply
  1. the total wattage is 500w. broken down to 130w on two lines and the rest on the 12v line and a little bit on the others. there math does not add up as it more then 500w if you add all of them together.
  2. Hi, thanks for replying guys :)

Smorizio: What's that sentence mean then about the 427.9 watts?

Knightdog56: I don't think that one is my power supply, the exterior colour of mine is grey and the model number is different.

The one you posted in the review was:
    RS500-PCARD3-US

mine is:
    RS500-PSAR-I3

Thanks once again for replying :)

Edit: This is exactly how my power supply looks except that its 500 watts
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046
  3. Best answer
    knightdog56 said:

That's a review for the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W model manufactured by AcBel Polytech.

The OP has the completely different model Cooler Master Elite Power 500W (RS-500-PSAR-I3) manufactured by Solytech. Cooler Master claims a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps for this model. It only has one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Cooler Master loves using the PSU's Peak Power rating when labeling their low-end series models because it makes it look more capable than they really are. I would say that the RS-500-PSAR-I3 is really a 450 Watt PSU.
  4. ko888 said:
    That's a review for the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W model manufactured by AcBel Polytech.

The OP has the completely different model Cooler Master Elite Power 500W (RS-500-PSAR-I3) manufactured by Solytech. Cooler Master claims a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps for this model. It only has one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Cooler Master loves using the PSU's Peak Power rating when labeling their low-end series models because it makes it look more capable than they really are. I would say that the RS-500-PSAR-I3 is really a 450 Watt PSU.

Well then I guess I can settle it as a 450 watt power supply.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I am grateful for every contribution!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you! :)
  5. Best answer selected by socialfox.
  6. Guys i am buying a Case/PSU combo for my little brother that comes with the exact same PSu you guys are talking about and can anyone tel me if it is an ok PSU? I only need 300W-400W but it has 500W and considering its a cheap made PSU im sure it can handle 300W-400W. it is a good deal also for the price. His CPu is an Intel Pentium G2020 and with 2x4GB of RAM and an MSI R7-250X i am buying him and he is gamin on a 720p monitor so does this sound like an ok setup to play games at 720p and low settings on most games, will it do good?
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Components