PC crashes strange while playing games

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
PC crashing strange while playing games?
So here's the deal.My desktop starting crashing very hard randomly while i play games like Supreme Commander 2,BF3,COH(tales of valor).The strange thing is that when it crashes different artifacts appear everywhere and i have to restart the PC,but sometimes it crashes with artifacts,but the game closes and i can start other programs like Mozilla,other games etc. but they crash right away and again i have to restart.But windows programs like My Computer,Recycle bin don't crash and work properly.First i thought it was overheating so i got two Case fans Which blow right at the Video card.It worked for sometime but then it again crashed(same way).The one thing that suprises me is that whatever solution i find the ''CRASH" finds a way to counter it and happens again(i know it sounds stupid).I have the case open from the right side.Lasted a little longer but again crash.And now i have no idea what to do.I used MSI Afterburner and put fan speed to 100%(same).I tried other stuff too but still nothing. PLS help.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 850 3.3Ghz
Video card: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 2.7GB
RAM 4 GB
2 extra case fans(TURBOX TX-FL80 80MM 4LED 2500RPM)and(Cooler master 120MM)
650w Power Supply(previous was 400W)

PS:When the pc crashes sometimes there is a error message and sometimes there isnt,plus there is a strange sound like (BZZZZSS).Temps are normal 60C max 70C(while playing)35-40C idle.Could the processor be overheating or something else i have no idea.

Thanks.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Have you tried monitoring your temperatures? Trying to increase cooling while you don't even know it's overheating which causes the crashes isn't very smart.

From what i can see you upgraded your power supply recently and that is when the problems started happening. A flaky power supply can cause a large number of head aches ... I wouldn't use the 400 watt you had previously (seems a bit low). Try returning or RMA the power supply you just bought and try to get another. Also if your tech savvy enough you can use a pocket multimeter to test the voltages on the power supply cables.

Graphics cards don't like being under-volted. Processors usually wont function if they are under-volted and or blow up if they are over-volted. But more than likely it just isn't putting enough voltage to the graphics card. I've seen this happen in many of my older builds.

The reason why your my computer/ recycle bin / desktop worked was because the graphics card has a 2d mode where it under-clocks the entire card when it doesn't detect a game running which has the effect of lowering the power required from the power supply.

What power supply? run furmark for atleast 5 minutes and watch it, make sure the temps aren't going above 80c ish.

If it doesn't crash from that, run prime95 for atleast 5 minutes, monitor temps, make sure it doesn't get above 60c ish.

americanbrian

Distinguished
I suspect the GDDR is overheating, try underclocking ( by say 25%) the memory with GPUTool. If this allows you play games without crashing you know it is the culprit.

Most GFX cards do not have sensors on the GDDR (mine does but its kinda special). So it is often hard to diagnose. Does your H/S fan make contact with the GDDR chips? If so you may have a TIM pad missing.

If not, it is more likely that some of the RAM is de-soldering slightly. The oven bake trick is the only known "permanent" fix (obviously it is not forever permanent, but may last a good length of time).

Underclocking your graphics RAM will usually not result in huge performance decreases, depending on res and details (the higher the more impact).

americanbrian

Distinguished
^^ he never said when it started happening or any sort of timeline for the PSU change.

He says that taking active measures to counter heat build-up help but don't cure. It seems definately a thermal issue...

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Turbo-X (Solytech) 650W Value Series:that's the power supply.
And i do think its overheating cause it when i put the new fans it worked properly.
But im not sure what is overheating.
Plus the problem stayed before i bought the new power supply.

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
its from a store called plesio wich owns the mark(turbo-x)
here's a link:http://www.plesio.bg/zahranvane-c-69977705/650w-value-series-p-287228.html
its on bulgarian(my language) so you can translate it if you want :)

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

maybe

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I ran furmark while my card was underclocked by approx. 25%.
Stayed at 60C
I also ran prime95 for about 25 mins at max and the CPU temp was 57C max 58C

americanbrian

Distinguished
Was it the Memory or GPU that you underclocked?

Was it stable?

I seriously think it will be the GDDR if anything as both CPU and GPU temps are well low.

Make sure you underclock the memory not the GPU. Some cards have multiple profiles (HI-HI, HI-LO LO LO-LO) etc. Make sure you underclock the memory on all of the 3D profiles. SAVE BETWEEN EACH PROFILE, you can't change them all then save. So set clock, save, change profile, set clock, save etc.

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I underclocked the GPU but i will return it to stock settings.It worked for while but it crashed again.
By the way how do i underclock the GDDR.
with a program or what?:)

Hes just referring to the memory clock rate instead of the core clock rate.

I would run memtest until it completes (usually takes around 3-5 hours so do it while sleeping) just to rule out any memory related issues.

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I ran memtest and it didnt find any erros.Plus i used MSI afterburner to underclock it but still nothing. :( Any more ideas that might help? :??:

americanbrian

Distinguished
afterburner does not let you go really low with the underclocks, normally only like 50mhz or something (this may be model specific).

Clock it down as low as you can with GPU tool pls. Verify that it is clocked down in ALL 3D modes GPU tool lets me clock much lower than afterburner for my card...

Re-seat the graphics card too, just in case it is a dodgy connction.

Hm, yeah afterburner lets me get down to 400 core speed from the reference 900~, so probably card specific.

If you know anyone with a capable power supply you could try that.

Have you tried uninstalling current drivers, restart into safemode run driver sweeper, clean out amd display drivers (NOT CHIPSET just display), restart out of safe mode, install most current drivers?

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

im with nvidia not amd but i understand :)

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
i did both things and kinda worked for a while.It looks like that on small maps with 24 players works,but when i got to a map with 32 players it crashes at some point.

americanbrian

Distinguished
Well at this point I would say,

FInd a spare Graphics card around, an old one perhaps, or a friends. It is just to test for sure that it is what is causing your fault.

Play a game with a different card in for a while, if there is no crash (I suspect there won't be) then we can say quite safely its the graphics card giving you problems.

If this is the case, I offer you two choices.. Easy option, buy a new card

Harder Option, strip the graphics card down to the PCB (take off H./S Fan and any plastic mountings etc.) Pre-heat an oven to 160C, for 20 mins.... Let it cool slowly for at least 30mins. Re-assemble and cross your fingers.

Here is a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkDSEbHV8U0

This MIGHT work and save you some money. If it doesn't you will need to buy a new card anyway so what the hell?

teodor1746

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

ok..... but arent there any other ways cause right now i dont have money for a new card.I will put a friend's card to check but still arent here any other ways? :)

TRENDING THREADS