Tags:
  • New Build
  • Hardware
  • Xbox 360
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2012 12:08:09 PM

Hey there. Not sure if i'm at the right section, but couldn't find better place. So i have xbox 360 and i play only on it, cause my pc is crap. Firstly i wanted to ask how is xbox capable of running the latest games ? It's hardware is not so good. I mean if u take a PC with hardware equivalent to xbox 360's hardware, it wouldn't run battlefield 3 as good as xbox right ?
And also i wanted to ask, is this a good time to buy a gaming pc ? with the new consoles coming out in about a year i guess. Cause, man, paying 1000$ for a rig, that will last 1-2 years is bullcrap. or am I wrong ? would my pc serve me longer ?
PC specs that i want to buy:

i5-2500k
8gb ram
gtx 670
asrock z77 extreme4

More about : buy gaming

August 8, 2012 12:19:48 PM

A PC like that would last you longer than 1-2 years. Say it'll last 1-2 years playing the latest and greatest games coming out on max settings @ 1080p, and another 1-2 years playing the latest and greatest games on slightly downgraded settings.

Yes, this is a good time to buy a gaming PC, unless you are a bigger fan of consoles and want to wait for the next-gen ones.
August 8, 2012 1:08:03 PM

You have to remember the XBox renders at a low resolution and at low settings compared to the PC version. Making a PC with same hardware would be hard because it's so obsolete you would have to find everything used, however I'm positive a $400 system would beat the XBox.

The system you have planned will game for a long time if you're happy with XBox level of graphic detail. Max settings of course like the previous poster states will only last for 1-2 years most likely, unless the graphical evolution of games stagnates :p 
Related resources
August 8, 2012 1:19:27 PM

PC gaming isnt what it once was. Back in the day it used to be the PC was the best of the best of the best sir! Its gotten to the point that the consoles give a darned good experience and most of the games are there. One of the ways that older consoles keep up with newer hardware is because they dont have the same overhead to run the os. Yes there is an os, but it isnt as demanding as a full pc os. Publishers have been producing for console first for some time... There are of course exceptions to the rule. Diablo, real time strategies, flight sims, and mmos to name a few. A gaming PC is still a good investment, because it will give you a great computing experience. However, if the games you are looking at are on the console, then its up to you to decide whether to stay on the console and earn some achievements, or move to pc where the same game might not have the gamerscore...skyrim I'm looking at you.
August 8, 2012 3:58:30 PM

PC Gaming, in my opinion, is the better overall. Consoles are constantly holding back gaming on graphics terms. Look at battlefield 3 and the backlash it recieved from the console jockeys when the trailer was released and they realised that it was running on a high end PC. Playing games on a PC is generally one of the more enjoyable expiriences as you can mod your games to high heaven, game like Skyrim for example. Go take a look at the Unreal Engine 4 trailer (i think thats it) and the Samaritan trailer, thats the kind of graphics you're going to be able to have eventually on your PC. Console players want the best graphics/hardware but dont want to pay over the odds for it.

Also, i hear on xbox you have to pay to play online?
August 8, 2012 4:49:24 PM

I only upgraded from a GPU I purchased 4 years ago earlier this year. I did so, not because I had to, it still ran games at high settings smoothly.

Most people upgrade frequently because they like tinkering with their computer, not because they can't run games anymore. A good computer built 5 years ago is still a good computer today, and still plays on higher details than an Xbox.

The reason the XBOX is so capable for the hardware it has, is because there is only one configuration, you can heavily optimize a game for the xbox. For PCs, you can't get quite as much efficiency, and the hardware is so powerful, you really don't need to bother.

It IS a good time to build, the newest generation of video cards really upped the ante for performance, and are delivering pretty good value at all price points. If you get an HD 7950 or 670 in your setup, you will be able to game on it till it falls apart if you want to.

CPUs, frankly, haven't really been as crucial in 'most' gaming in the last 3 or 4 years. A good CPU like the 2500k, 2400, 3450, or 3550k will last you a long time as well.

If you do decide to build, be sure to post your build here. Keep in mind, buying the case, monitor, keyboard, etc if you need them will eat into your budget quite a bit, but you don't have those recurring costs every upgrade.

A good case can last a long time, through multiple builds, same with monitor, keyboard, drives, etc. in the end, frequent upgraders usually only spend 600-700$ to upgrade with new top end stuff, and reuse their existing extras.

Also, thanks to steam, our games are much much cheaper (if you can wait for sales), and they are (almost) always 'backwards' compatible. Not to mention the free-to-play market. Also the lack of 'subscription' for playing games online is kinda nice. (I never understood how Microsoft ever got away with that).
August 8, 2012 5:00:21 PM

Regarding your build, don't make the mistake of buying a cheap power supply. It's easy to overlook because a 30$ 600W PSU sounds like a better deal than a 90$ 600W PSU. However, the 30$ PSU may decide to explode and destroy your 1000$ build by power-surging everything.

Check out this list: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx, get a tier 2 if you can, but don't go below tier 3. A 600W PSU is plenty for your build.

(Also, post back with your full final build setup, and we can help you optimize it)
August 9, 2012 11:46:32 AM

THANX EVERYONE FOR GREAT ANSWERS.

So about my final build i need some help over here,

CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: GIGABYTE gtx 670 windforce 3x
MOTHERBOARD: was thinking about z77 extreme 4 (can u suggest something as good but a lil bit cheaper ?)
PSU: tier 2 700W
CPU cooler: Hyper 212+
HDD/SDD: don't know yet, not so crucial i think
CASE: need help. i want to get a budget case, but with some fans, i will need a great air flow, due to my graphics card
RAM: 8-10gb low profile.

so what do you think guys ? feel free to suggest/change anything in my build.
August 9, 2012 11:52:54 AM

This should be quite decent all round

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($120.67 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.59 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($73.95 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1014.13
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-09 07:53 EDT-0400)
August 9, 2012 11:57:54 AM

FinneousPJ said:
This should be quite decent all round

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($120.67 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.59 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($73.95 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1014.13
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-09 07:53 EDT-0400)

cool! thanx man! do you think 2GB of VRAM in the graphics card will be future proof ?
August 9, 2012 12:08:39 PM

Yes, for a single screen.
August 9, 2012 12:09:51 PM

However if you're worried about that may I suggest a HD7950 3 GB which is actually cheaper than the 670.
August 9, 2012 4:37:45 PM

FinneousPJ said:
However if you're worried about that may I suggest a HD7950 3 GB which is actually cheaper than the 670.

well gtx 670 beats 7950 really bad. so i don't think it would be the option
August 9, 2012 5:09:19 PM

No, it doesn't. The performance difference is pretty much in line with the price difference. A quick look at some graphs tells me the 670 is about 15% more powerful and also costs about 15% more money.
August 9, 2012 5:19:39 PM

Want to say something about CPU+Mobo, if you put an IB CPU into a SB mobo, it won't run if you don't update your BIOS. But I don't know about the other way, so you should better be going with a IB or SB CPU+Mobo. Although going with IB will give you more future proof, since it has PCI 3, it'll have double the bandwidth, in a single slot mode, that is, using all 16 lines, you'll have 16 GB/s instead of 8 GB/s. In today's games you won't notice the difference, it's about 2-3 FPS, but in future games you will.