Slow opening JPG; XP cache?

When I open JPG files in IrfanView by d-clicking from a My Computer
folder, the delay seems to get progressively longer. Can take 5 or 6
secs to open a 200 KB JPG. Elsewhere someone suggested this might be
cache related, and probably due to lots of processes running. Can I
isolate this conclusively? And, more important, apart from closing
services, is there any WinXP setting , such as size of cache, that I
can alter to try for a speed up please?

Or maybe there are other likely causes of this slow-down I should
pursue?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
5 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Irfanview being a third party application, you might want to head to http://www.irfanview.com/ and
    check out if there are any ways to resolve your issues.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > When I open JPG files in IrfanView by d-clicking from a My Computer
    > folder, the delay seems to get progressively longer. Can take 5 or 6
    > secs to open a 200 KB JPG. Elsewhere someone suggested this might be
    > cache related, and probably due to lots of processes running. Can I
    > isolate this conclusively? And, more important, apart from closing
    > services, is there any WinXP setting , such as size of cache, that I
    > can alter to try for a speed up please?
    >
    > Or maybe there are other likely causes of this slow-down I should
    > pursue?
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    > When I open JPG files in IrfanView by d-clicking from a My Computer
    > folder, the delay seems to get progressively longer. Can take 5 or 6
    > secs to open a 200 KB JPG. Elsewhere someone suggested this might be
    > cache related, and probably due to lots of processes running. Can I
    > isolate this conclusively? And, more important, apart from closing
    > services, is there any WinXP setting , such as size of cache, that I
    > can alter to try for a speed up please?
    >
    > Or maybe there are other likely causes of this slow-down I should
    > pursue?

    this delay could be caused by many things.

    First I would suggest running an anti-spyware utility to elminate any
    spyware that may be running in the background.

    If you are using a third party firewall and/or antivirus, consider
    turning some of their features off. Because of all the checking that is
    done on files as you open/copy/create/... them, your computer may slow
    down to 30% of its normal speed because of an antivirus program. But
    before you turn it off completely make sure you know enough about viruses
    to keep them away.

    A third option is to check what programs are running in the background.
    If you have a lot of icons in the system tray (right side of the windows
    taskbar) it might be a good idea to remove some of these programs. In
    Control Panel click on Software, and remove everything that you don't
    need.

    Changing your cache is one of the last things I'd do. Usually the system
    sets these settings to something that should work fine for your computer.
    If you do want to change it, right click on My Computer and select
    Properties. In the Advanced tab click on the settings button for
    performance. You'll get another dialog, again with an Advanced tab.
    There you can set your cache size.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Irfanview being a third party application, you might want to head to http://www.irfanview.com/ and
    >check out if there are any ways to resolve your issues.

    Thanks, but maybe I should have said that I get similar slowness if I
    open images with other viewers or editors as well.

    I'm assuming this is a Windows XP issue, and I was just guessing that
    it had something to do with caching?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    zero <zero@this.hi> wrote:

    >this delay could be caused by many things.
    >
    >First I would suggest running an anti-spyware utility to elminate any
    >spyware that may be running in the background.

    I run SpyBot and AdAware regularly. Rarely see any problems.

    >If you are using a third party firewall and/or antivirus, consider
    >turning some of their features off. Because of all the checking that is
    >done on files as you open/copy/create/... them, your computer may slow
    >down to 30% of its normal speed because of an antivirus program. But
    >before you turn it off completely make sure you know enough about viruses
    >to keep them away.

    I do run NAV, and I'd be reluctant to discontinue it.

    >A third option is to check what programs are running in the background.
    >If you have a lot of icons in the system tray (right side of the windows
    >taskbar) it might be a good idea to remove some of these programs. In
    >Control Panel click on Software, and remove everything that you don't
    >need.

    By implication, those I use are those I think I need <g>.

    >Changing your cache is one of the last things I'd do. Usually the system
    >sets these settings to something that should work fine for your computer.
    >If you do want to change it, right click on My Computer and select
    >Properties. In the Advanced tab click on the settings button for
    >performance. You'll get another dialog, again with an Advanced tab.
    >There you can set your cache size.

    Isn't that the paging file (VM), which I believe is not the same as
    cache? FWIW, mine is set to 757MB on this 512MB PC. It's set for my
    system partition C:, and my (much larger) data partition D: has no
    paging file set.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    > I do run NAV, and I'd be reluctant to discontinue it.

    In my (very personal) opinion NAV is one of the worst when it comes to
    slowing down your computer. Don't get me wrong, their security responce
    team is top notch - I often check their website for threats or hoaxes -
    it's just the program that wants to do way too much.
    I myself use the much smaller AVG as antivirus, and the built in xp
    firewall.

    > By implication, those I use are those I think I need <g>.

    You'd be surprised how often I see a program on a friend's computer, ask
    him what it is, and he doesn't even know what it does or how it got
    there. Those really take up processor time. But of course you know best
    what you need :-)

    > Isn't that the paging file (VM), which I believe is not the same as
    > cache? FWIW, mine is set to 757MB on this 512MB PC. It's set for my
    > system partition C:, and my (much larger) data partition D: has no
    > paging file set.

    Yes that is the paging file actually. And 757MB sounds good. Most OS
    recommend a size of more or less twice your physical RAM.
    As I understand it, the only way to change the cache size is to use the
    LargeSystemCache registry key - but as far as I can tell that doesn't
    affect system performance much. See

    But maybe you should look elsewhere for the culprit. If you first run
    the program, and then open the different files, does it take a long time
    too? Or is it only if you double click the files to open them when the
    program is not yet running?

Configuration Cache Windows XP