Bang for your buck - Graphic card?

klaks1000

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
So me and a friend of mine are sitting here, crashing in games and have to reduce textures, AA and shadow quality in games. We don't like decreasing graphics, but we have saved up some money for a new card.
We want as much performance and lasting appeal as possible. So we can play high-end games as long time as possible, for the least money possible.
The specs for my computer are the following:

750W power supply
GeForce GTS 250
2.66 GHz i7
8 GB DDR3 RAM
1680x1050 (22")
We don't overglock, simply because we are "scared" - and we'd like our computers to last and rather turn down texture detail than turn up the temperatures of our card.

At the moment we'd like to play games like BF3 and Crysis 2 without turning down any graphics (except from AAx16 or something crazy like that), and still have decent FPS.

What is the most cost-efficient graphic card at the moment, with my specifications? - And is it smart to just upgrade the graphic card, or should I just simply buy a new PC?

- We have thought about the following graphic cards:
MSI 7870 Hawk (425$)
Asus 7850 (306$)
GeForce GTX 480 (272$)

Regards! :D
(sorry for my English, I'm Danish:)

If its crashing somethings wrong. most likely heat. which should not be happening since it should be able to run at full load. have you cleaned the case/checked airflow/fan speeds/cleaned the heatsink etc?

ebbote59

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

I bought 2 XFX 7750s @$130 each and crossfired them, they run very well and cheaper than the cards you have listed.

klaks1000

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Yes, but I've been running some temperature tests, like HWmonitor and actually made a post about it in this forum. The final answer was that I simply need a new graphic card. That the heat is not the main problem, since it doesn't go above 60 degrees celcius. Though the problem is not only the crashing, it's also that I want to play bigger games, without having to reduce the quality of the graphics.

fiduke

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Of the cards you listed I'd go with the 7850. If you have more cash though I'd try to go up to the GTX 670 for future proofing.