Hardware freezes (possibly memory?)

Stale

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
My computer has started ‘freezing’ and posting up BSOD, the BSOD always relates to 0x00000a caused by ntoskrnl.exe but freezes are more common than the BSOD.

A day ago the OS told me it had “critical error Windows will restart in one minute” Which it did, and it corrected a corruption of the O/S.

The freezes aren’t random, have to reset the computer by the power button, they can be triggered, processing a video in Corel VideoStudio for example freezes it within seconds, Prime95 causes an instant freeze, but playing Assassins Creed 3 doesn’t and it plays flawlessly.

I ran memtest86+ the first time I got a report of test six failing but then I ran it again for two hours and wasn’t able to get a fault (I plan on leaving it running over night)

Am I right in thinking this is a memory issue? I haven’t ruled out the power supply but my experiences with power supply failures are instant restarts (like a power cut) rather than a locked up freezes.

Being able to play Assassins creed 3 flawlessly has confused me.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Intel Core i5-2400
Nvidia GTX 460 Super Hawk
OCZ Gold 4gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Samsung 1TB drive I think it's a Spin-point F3
PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power L7 530W

System was built by myself, it's about a year and a half old.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
It may be because of ram but bsod is not generally cause by the ram ... it actually gives a windows freeze of this kind of stuff ....

i was getting bsod with a old computer when the graphic card wa getting too hot

was also getting bsod when ahci was enabled

did you search on google for that exact error code ? you might get more answers there

Hope it helps

Stale

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

I did, along with the driver it links too (I've had literally two BSOD's to be honest, freezes are what happen and can be triggered), I'm still trying to find solid information on that.

I forgot to mention temperatures on the cpu and graphics card never go above 50c or 60c rarely, everything stock, air cooled.

Stale

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Oddly enough, after a year and a half of running fine, changing the voltage in the bios from auto to 1.65v fixed the issue (for now.)