Disable Auto Arrange for all folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi y'all

I am tired of disabling auto-arrange one folder by one.

Isn't there a twick to get this done once and for all? Looked on this forum,
Kelly's corner, googled "disable auto arrange", the only thing I found was
the usual "right click, choose 'arrange icon by', etc."

Any suggestion?

thanks,

Raphael, Houston TX

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:467A8B33-91E0-4096-BC29-5AF6CCF618B0@microsoft.com,
Raphael <Raphael@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi y'all
>
> I am tired of disabling auto-arrange one folder by one.
>
> Isn't there a twick to get this done once and for all? Looked on this
> forum, Kelly's corner, googled "disable auto arrange", the only thing
> I found was the usual "right click, choose 'arrange icon by', etc."
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> thanks,
>
> Raphael, Houston TX

How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812003

Specifically you want to set one folder and then use tools, options, view
tab, and set all folders.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for your quick answer Galen.

It worked indeed, but the slightly annoying thing is that now all my folders
look the same, that is not only do they NOT have this annoying Auto Arrange
thing, but also all the other characteristics of the folder I used to modify
all of them. That is, they now all are "thumbnail view" whereas soem of them
were detailed lists, etc.

Isn't there a way at the Registry level to simply specify : no Auto Arrange
at all, point period blank, the rest being otherwise unchanged?

Thanks a lot anyway, that has already lowered my level of irritation (I must
admit I am on a big project and little things irritate more than they
should... I guess I need more of this French burgundy wine.)

cheers

R.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:467A8B33-91E0-4096-BC29-5AF6CCF618B0@microsoft.com,
> Raphael <Raphael@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Hi y'all
> >
> > I am tired of disabling auto-arrange one folder by one.
> >
> > Isn't there a twick to get this done once and for all? Looked on this
> > forum, Kelly's corner, googled "disable auto arrange", the only thing
> > I found was the usual "right click, choose 'arrange icon by', etc."
> >
> > Any suggestion?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Raphael, Houston TX
>
> How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812003
>
> Specifically you want to set one folder and then use tools, options, view
> tab, and set all folders.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

I haven't actually tried this, but have a look at
HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Settings
There's an AutoArrange boolean value there.

Seems an odd place though. You could also check
HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

zero

"=?Utf-8?B?UmFwaGFlbA==?=" <Raphael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick answer Galen.
>
> It worked indeed, but the slightly annoying thing is that now all my
> folders look the same, that is not only do they NOT have this annoying
> Auto Arrange thing, but also all the other characteristics of the
> folder I used to modify all of them. That is, they now all are
> "thumbnail view" whereas soem of them were detailed lists, etc.
>
> Isn't there a way at the Registry level to simply specify : no Auto
> Arrange at all, point period blank, the rest being otherwise
> unchanged?
>
> Thanks a lot anyway, that has already lowered my level of irritation
> (I must admit I am on a big project and little things irritate more
> than they should... I guess I need more of this French burgundy wine.)
>
> cheers
>
> R.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:16B83F04-1056-4ABC-BBF0-A50DF9F4C5C3@microsoft.com,
Raphael <Raphael@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for your quick answer Galen.
>
> It worked indeed, but the slightly annoying thing is that now all my
> folders look the same, that is not only do they NOT have this
> annoying Auto Arrange thing, but also all the other characteristics
> of the folder I used to modify all of them. That is, they now all are
> "thumbnail view" whereas soem of them were detailed lists, etc.
>
> Isn't there a way at the Registry level to simply specify : no Auto
> Arrange at all, point period blank, the rest being otherwise
> unchanged?
>
> Thanks a lot anyway, that has already lowered my level of irritation
> (I must admit I am on a big project and little things irritate more
> than they should... I guess I need more of this French burgundy wine.)
>
> cheers

Yeah it will set it to default of the folder that you were in. What I tend
to do is to not use thumnail view but to set it to show common tasks, double
click, show details, show hidden files, and protected files, display full
path in address bar, and to remember each folder's view. That is my default
and so I apply it to all folders. Then, if I have an image folder and want
it to be thumbnails, I'll go ahead and change that in that folder and that
folder alone will retain those settings. Somewhere...

How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812003

There, I knew it was in my clipboard manager... This was in there too:

How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

KEZ5

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Hi y'all

I am tired of disabling auto-arrange one folder by one.

Isn't there a twick to get this done once and for all? Looked on this forum,
Kelly's corner, googled "disable auto arrange", the only thing I found was
the usual "right click, choose 'arrange icon by', etc."

Any suggestion?

thanks,

Raphael, Houston TX
auto arrange is not enabled by default on windows. in fact, you would probably have to go through the folder one by one to enable the auto arrange