Sign in with
Your question

PC won't detect monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 1:41:27 PM

I have recently built a PC and it won't recognize my monitor.
The computer seems to run fine since all fans are working but it just won't recognize my monitor. However, when i plug the cable to my computer and plug it out the monitor button changes color but when i plug it back in, the monitor says "monitor going to sleep". I tried connecting the monitor to my laptop and the monitor seems to be working fine. I just don't know what the problem is. Please help me

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model
Harddrive: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
Video Card: XFX FX777AZDB4 Double D HD 7770 Black Edition 1095MHz 1GB DDR5 miniDP HDMI DVI PCI-E Graphics Cards
Power Supply: TR2 600w
CD Drive: Samsung 22X DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support

More about : detect monitor

June 18, 2012 2:22:44 PM

Make sure you've pluged it on the GPU DVI port and not your motherboard DVI port.
June 18, 2012 2:59:53 PM

Quote:
Make sure you've pluged it on the GPU DVI port and not your motherboard DVI port.

I figured out the problem kinda
my monitor(old hp monitor) turns on if I take out my graphics card but if I add the graphics card and plug in the PCI cable to it. The monitor does not respond. What do i do?
Related resources
June 18, 2012 4:02:33 PM

wooyeol said:
Quote:

I figured out the problem kinda
my monitor(old hp monitor) turns on if I take out my graphics card but if I add the graphics card and plug in the PCI cable to it. The monitor does not respond. What do i do?

either look like driver issue or a defected card.

Contact the GPU company and ask for supports if you think you have the proper driver installed.
June 18, 2012 4:11:15 PM

venur said:
either look like driver issue or a defected card.

Contact the GPU company and ask for supports if you think you have the proper driver installed.

Another thing is when I installed the microsoft windows 7 on my newly built computer I did not have the graphics card in there because of the monitor problem but the other thing is my monitor is old and doesn't have the cable to connect to the graphics card(just the blue vga cable). Can that be the problem?
June 18, 2012 4:19:05 PM

wooyeol said:
Another thing is when I installed the microsoft windows 7 on my newly built computer I did not have the graphics card in there because of the monitor problem but the other thing is my monitor is old and doesn't have the cable to connect to the graphics card(just the blue vga cable). Can that be the problem?

I currently use the VGA to DVI adaptor on one of my monitor and it never caused any problem.

When you go on device manager do you see your card ?

windows start button / control panel / hardware and sound / Device manager: then you should display adapter and it should show your GPU if you click on it.
June 18, 2012 5:51:00 PM

venur said:
I currently use the VGA to DVI adaptor on one of my monitor and it never caused any problem.

When you go on device manager do you see your card ?

windows start button / control panel / hardware and sound / Device manager: then you should display adapter and it should show your GPU if you click on it.

ahh the thing is when i tried using hdmi cable directly to my graphics card i was able to see my screen. I think it's because I don't have an adapter haha... right?
!