Where from? Dell laptop CPU

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Hi all.
Dell sadly dont do the parts anymore. I found restrictions on my system configuration recently (I ordered it 2 years ago and still a damn good system) that the dual core CPU does not support more than 8GB of RAM unless it is an i5 or i7 quad core, then the system can support up to 32GB.

Does anyone know where I can get the following CPU's:

i7 720qm
i7 740qm
i7 820qm

i7 940xm extreme core
i7 920xm extreme core

ideally not ebay because they are either expensive/rip off and second hand.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Laptop cpu's are generally not sold out separately so your chances finding one of the above if like 1/50 .... searched on newegg (best site for parts) and i wasn't able to find any of those

if you really want to upgrade your laptop cpu, go with ebay because you won't be able to get a brand new one

go for a new tower build instead :p

Hope it helps

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
haha. thanks.
yeh that sucks. its a damn good laptop, very new (well, 2 years old) and VERY fast and powerful. just need to put in more memory but currently does not support more than 8GB because its a dual core.... and they didnt really tell me at the time I placed the order.

ebay isnt good because I found a shop and they said its all 2nd hand. dont want 2nd hand.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
well, 2nd hand is the only way to get a hand on those laptop processor's ... if you don't want that, buy a new laptop with that processor in

Hope it helps

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company...

What make you think its the CPU limiting the Ram capability rather than the Mobo ?

All the best Brett :)

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Because Dell said.... and thats where I ordered it from. And it is also what a sub contractor engineer also said. Definately NOT the mobo.

Think about it logically...

Just say you find the cpu that you want.. then fit it, you really think that it magically changes the motherboards memory slot limitations ?

I assume you have actually tried more than 8 gb of ram ?

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Yeah that's right a cpu rarely limits the ram amount you can put in a motherboard, it's the chipset that does that (correct me if i'm wrong) so if dell says you can only put 8GB, changing the cpu won't help you putting more ram in it

Hope it helps

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
guys, I know what im talking about.
I tried more than 8GB of ram. it does not work AT ALL. the system halts at the dell screen. I contacted dell and they told me why (I am on a business support).
even the engineer said it is to do with the CPU. Not all appears logically.... I know motherboards have limitations but also do CPU's and the dual core CPU I have IS restricted to 8GB max only. changing the CPU to a quad core WILL support up to 32GB of RAM (as per the specs)

As you know the answer why ask ??

I know the answer as well, by the way, so one of us is wrong... :)

Let me know what happens when you put that cpu in and you are still limited to 8 gb :)

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
will do brett :)
i build systems for the past 15 years... and also a software developer too. So believe me my friend, I know. And why would dell say something if it is incorrect? Makes no sense misleading a customer....

furthermore, did you check the specs for the Dell Precision M6500? supports UP TO 32GB memory only if it is quad core, not dual core :)

also take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Precision#Discontinued_Dell_Precision_laptop_models

look at the fact it says max 8GB on dual core

Ok, well let me know :)

I sell those lappies, reconditioned, but no spare cpus, and if you want one you are going to HAVE to buy it second hand, from one of the laptop breaking companies... and as its a top of the range rare lappy, I tend to doubt you will find one, as the breakers will want to sell it complete with the mobo...