  • Cable
  • Product
Last response: in Brands
August 17, 2004 12:54:25 AM

Hello,

I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.

The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize either in
PCsuite or in MobiMB

Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried every
driver from the prolific website without any success.

The Com-to-usb driver seems to work, but nothing happens...

Am I forgetting something to do on the nokia (I *did* plug the cable, of
course) ?

Maybe I should change something in the come-to-usb parameters
(enable/disable FIFO, change speed or parity ?)

Thanks in advance for your help !

More about : dku5 cable trouble 6610i

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:57:43 AM

"Florent Pessaud" <fpessaud@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.

I presume by "generic" you mean third-party?

>The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize either in
>PCsuite or in MobiMB

Nokia PC Suite will only work with a genuine Nokia cable.......

>Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried every
>driver from the prolific website without any success.

.... which your cable isn't.

I've had MobiMB working with a Prolific cable but I think it had to be
setup as a serial connection. Not able to check as I don't have a
copy of MobiMB myself - I set it up for someone else.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 2:22:44 AM

"Paul Hopwood" <paul@hopwood.org.uk> a écrit dans le message de
> "Florent Pessaud" <fpessaud@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> >I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.
>
> I presume by "generic" you mean third-party?

Yes. Pardon my not-so-great english ...

> >The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize either
in
> >PCsuite or in MobiMB
>
> Nokia PC Suite will only work with a genuine Nokia cable.......

So I've heard, but MobiMB should work anyway, and neither finds the phone.

> >Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried every
> >driver from the prolific website without any success.
>
> ... which your cable isn't.

Indeed, the price charged for the genuine Nokia is quite expensive...

> I've had MobiMB working with a Prolific cable but I think it had to be
> setup as a serial connection.

Yes. There is a USB-to-serial adapter, but the driver is there and,
according to XP, working ...

> Not able to check as I don't have a
> copy of MobiMB myself - I set it up for someone else.

Guess I'll have to keep searching then. Thanks for your help !
August 17, 2004 1:04:24 PM

I know you said you have tried all the drivers on the prolific
website, but just in case- did you try the one at the top of:

http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor/v_filebrw_result.as...

It says it is for the PL-2303 chipset. May be worth ununstalling and
reinstalling a couple of times.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 11:07:20 AM

"Florent Pessaud" <fpessaud@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<cfqvt2$rqg$1@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello,
>
> I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.
>
> The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize either in
> PCsuite or in MobiMB
>
> Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried every
> driver from the prolific website without any success.
>
> The Com-to-usb driver seems to work, but nothing happens...
>
> Am I forgetting something to do on the nokia (I *did* plug the cable, of
> course) ?
>
> Maybe I should change something in the come-to-usb parameters
> (enable/disable FIFO, change speed or parity ?)

ProLific 2303 based cables aren't DKU-5. DKU-5 cables are only from
Nokia based on original Nokia DKU-5 chipset. You are using common
ProLific -based cable for data synchronization purposes. PC Suite
won't recognize it, as it works with genuine Nokia cables only. We can
suggest to have a look at Oxygen Phone Manager II (
http://www.opm-2.com/ ). In Oxygen Phone Manager II in 'Tools' ->
'Options' -> 'Connection and common' -> 'Add port' you should set COM
port's number from 'Control panel' -> 'System' -> 'Hardware' ->
'Device manager' -> 'Ports COM and LPT' -> 'Prolific USB to Serial
bridge' and specify its type as 'DLR-3/DLR-3p'. Also in some cases one
may need to set up this virtual COM port's speed to 115200 bit/s
(standard data synchronization speed, used by Nokia phones).

http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
http://www.smsactivex.com/
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 12:15:57 PM

Quoth The Raven "Florent Pessaud <fpessaud@wanadoo.fr>" in
cfqvt2$rqg$1@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr
> Hello,
>
> I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.
>
> The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize either
> in PCsuite or in MobiMB
>
> Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried every
> driver from the prolific website without any success.
>
> The Com-to-usb driver seems to work, but nothing happens...
>
> Am I forgetting something to do on the nokia (I *did* plug the cable, of
> course) ?
>
> Maybe I should change something in the come-to-usb parameters
> (enable/disable FIFO, change speed or parity ?)
>

> Thanks in advance for your help !

search an app called UserPort.exe and configure it to the serial port youre
using. it worked for me

--
Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Why is an alarm clock going "off" when it actually turns on?
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 6:54:51 PM

If you are running XP this program will seriously unprotect your compuetr -
take care using it
"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven "Florent Pessaud <fpessaud@wanadoo.fr>" in
> cfqvt2$rqg$1@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr
>> Hello,
>>
>> I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.
>>
>> The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize either
>> in PCsuite or in MobiMB
>>
>> Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried every
>> driver from the prolific website without any success.
>>
>> The Com-to-usb driver seems to work, but nothing happens...
>>
>> Am I forgetting something to do on the nokia (I *did* plug the cable, of
>> course) ?
>>
>> Maybe I should change something in the come-to-usb parameters
>> (enable/disable FIFO, change speed or parity ?)
>>

>> Thanks in advance for your help !
>
> search an app called UserPort.exe and configure it to the serial port
> youre using. it worked for me
>
> --
> Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
>
> Why is an alarm clock going "off" when it actually turns on?

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:27:08 PM

Quoth The Raven "Fred Pickering <fredp56@tpg.com.au>" in
4142852b@dnews.tpgi.com.au
> If you are running XP this program will seriously unprotect your

how so? I never understood why MS stopped mobile phones directly connected
to a serial port can be a security threat to the OS for them to close the
usage off. a firewall, now native and workable in XP will safeguard the
computer. explain how its a problem, I'm curios.

--
Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:39:51 AM

support@opm-2.com (Oxygen Software) wrote in

> "Florent Pessaud" <fpessaud@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I bought a generic DKU5 cable to connect my phone to my computer.
>>
>> The driver installation went fine, but the phone isn't recognize
>> either in PCsuite or in MobiMB
>>
>> Apparently, the cable uses a Prolific 2303 component, so I tried
>> every driver from the prolific website without any success.
>>
>> The Com-to-usb driver seems to work, but nothing happens...
>>
>> Am I forgetting something to do on the nokia (I *did* plug the cable,
>> of course) ?
>>
>> Maybe I should change something in the come-to-usb parameters
>> (enable/disable FIFO, change speed or parity ?)
>
> ProLific 2303 based cables aren't DKU-5. DKU-5 cables are only from
> Nokia based on original Nokia DKU-5 chipset. You are using common
> ProLific -based cable for data synchronization purposes. PC Suite
> won't recognize it, as it works with genuine Nokia cables only. We can
> suggest to have a look at Oxygen Phone Manager II (
> http://www.opm-2.com/ ). In Oxygen Phone Manager II in 'Tools' ->
> 'Options' -> 'Connection and common' -> 'Add port' you should set COM
> port's number from 'Control panel' -> 'System' -> 'Hardware' ->
> 'Device manager' -> 'Ports COM and LPT' -> 'Prolific USB to Serial
> bridge' and specify its type as 'DLR-3/DLR-3p'. Also in some cases one
> may need to set up this virtual COM port's speed to 115200 bit/s
> (standard data synchronization speed, used by Nokia phones).
>
> If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
> program, feel free to post them on our official forum
> http://www.opm-2.com/forum/
>
> Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
> Oxygen Phone Manager - all you want from your Nokia
> support@oxygensoftware.com
> http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
> http://www.smsactivex.com/

That's funny cos I got PC suite through a generic 2303 based DKU-5 cable
to recognise my 3100 under XP just the other day. Win98SE wouldnt work but
XP was OK.
!