How to install Win7 Home Prem over Win7 Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmac1947

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I want to remove win 7 Ultimate. Never mind why. I need to know what files I can remove to allow me to install win 7 Home Prem. Never mind why.
[/b]
Does anyone know what windows files I must remove to allow me to install WIn7 home Prem without getting the message that the installed OS is better, newer, etc.

I can't format partition because I have tons of gigs of data that I don't want to lose.

Also, if I go into command prompt, how do I get attrib to set -h -s -r without getting an, "access denied" message.

ALL I want to do is install Win7 Home over Win7 Ultimate. It would take too long to explain why.

Thanks....lmac

Solution

THere's lots of Pirated versions of Office and WIN 7 that will activate properly and receive updates etc. just fine (they remove the...

lmac1947

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I've tried clean install. I get a message that I am installing a version that is a lesser one. Or something to that effect. I am not allowed to proceed.

There must be some files in the installed OS that when removed will allow me to install the lesser Win7 Home Prem.

Thanks.....lmac

lmac1947

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
OK here's what is going on. This might be useful for all readers.

I bought a copy of WIN7 Ultimate from Craigs list. It is a genuine copy. The problem is this. Only one install is allowed. I installed it to see if it is genuine. It is. But, the 30 days have passed and I don't want to activate it on this computer. I am getting ready to build a new computer and want to have Ultimate on it.

If U see one of these for sale, BEWARE. No where does it say on the box that it is for only one install. There will be a sticker that says, INGRAM MICRO".

There are also legit copies of Office 10 that only allow one install. ALSO with the INGRAM MICRO sticker. I installed Office 10 on my laptop but was denied install on my desktop as MS Police told be that I have only one install allowed.

Easiest method would be to buy a new HDD to use as the system HDD -- Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your current system settings etc. onto the existing HDD. Shut down and remove that HDD and install the new HDD.

Install your legitimate Home Premium to the new HDD as a clean install with only that HDD installed - after it completes shut down and reinstall the old HDD (ensuring that the new HDD remains the preferred boot device in the Bios) -- then use windows easy transfer to move the settings etc. from the old HDD to the new HDD and delete the old installation from the old HDD

[strike]Problem there is He said he has GB's worth of programs etc. also on the HDD which he wants to keep so a "Clean Install is not an option unless he does a backup of everything first !"[/strike]

Seems you caught that already and edited your post !

Probably does not want to admit it is not since the Forum rules prohibit talking about it otherwise ! :eek: But as you mentioned Craigslist is not a good place to purchase a legitimate copy of Win7 (esp. Ultimate !!) since even if it is a valid code when you buy it chances are it will not be in a little time ( once the seller starts reusing the same key !!)

lmac1947

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I can only assume it is genuine since the Office 10 activated ok. The story is that a company bought a bunch of these from Ingram Micro to install in a corporate environment. I know that sounds like a scam, but the Office 10 has not crapped in 10 months.

I compared the discs in both WIN and Office with real ones at a Best buy and even the GEEK Squad couldn't tell the difference.

Also, they guy had several copies and let me choose the one I wanted. i installed the Office 10 and activated it in front of him. And, again, Office has not pooped in 10 months and has taken every update.....lmac

THere's lots of Pirated versions of Office and WIN 7 that will activate properly and receive updates etc. just fine (they remove the validation check from the software directly so it never checks to verify it is authentic -- but eventually MS finds the various exploits and updates its validation software to specifically search for the exploit used at which point one of the 90 day authentication checks will find it and suddenly the software no longer works !! (It can take awhile for MS to find the latest exploit method as the pirates are constantly changing them as MS finds the older ones) -- This is why MS now runs a validation check on your system every 90 days or so instead of the old method that only validated it one time !

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.