June 18, 2012 3:22:05 PM

Hello, not too long ago I built my first custom PC, the specs are as follows:
CPU: i7-2600k
MB: Asus extreme gene-iv
GPU: PNY GTX560ti
PSU: Seasonic s12 (620watt)
8gb ddr3 ram (2*4gb)
Running on Windows 7 64bit

I'm making this post because since shortly after I put my computer together I began getting "pink screens," where the entirety of my screen gets a pink flashing striated overlay, and my screen freezes. This normally only happens when I go fullscreen in Youtube videos, but has happened on other occasions (ie: just today when I was logging in).
I do know that this is from my drivers crashing.
However, what I need is a fix for that. Since PNY has questionable customer support, and no drivers of their own, I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers available (of course they still crash).
I've done my own research to find that PNY's 560 seems to be plagued with issues.
Most issues go back to either adjusting the gpu voltage, or underclocking the gpu itself.
Before anything else, I'd like to try this. That said, I know almost nothing about overclocking/ underclocking.

Could someone give me a step-by-step as to how to adjust/ test this this? I personally don't mind lowering the card's capabilities if it means it will fix the failures.

I'd take a screenshot of the failures if I could, but there is no method of doing so.

Currently I have Nvidia inspector, and everything I have is stock.

Please, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, as this is extremely frustrating to deal with. (Also, if anyone has found fixes that do not involve underclocking, please let me know).

Thank you.
June 18, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Have you contacted PNY about an RMA?

You can use a program like MSI Afterbuner to adjust the clocks and voltage although I would personally be looking to RMA or return the card.
If you need to play with the voltage or under-clock anything from is specified settings outside of just wanting to do so you should look to get the item RMA'd or replaced.

Using the drivers from Nvidia should not effect anything.

If you install MSI Afterburner can you tell me what the card voltage is?
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:23:15 PM

There could be several reasons/combinations for this behavior.

- DOA video card or bad component onboard.
- Bad PCIe slot on mainboard.
- Wrong video card driver version type installed.
- Pcie bus collision/contention (usually with TV or printer card installed).
- Outdated directX component(s) structure with OpSys.
- Missing a power connection on the video card.
- Missing 12v Mobo standby power connection. (least likely as it won't boot).

Make an inventory of these and address them in order. Trying a differant video card also can tell you a lot about how "sound" the present card is.

Try to go at it like this:

Remove all VIDEO DRIVERS & RELATED SOFTWARES.
1) Check that all proper power connections are in place. (MoBo and video)
2) Update your bios if any bios changes are video related for your board.
3) Unplug all ext. power and reseat those power connections.
4) Make sure the video card is the only card present on the PCI bus.
5) Set windows video to a base resolution of 640x480@60hz.
6) Install video drivers from OEM website (first) at base resolution.
7) If that appears to be fine, then install the nVidia drivers (if you choose).

If these steps cannot solve the issue then it is highly likely either the video or Mobo bus is defective and should be replaced..
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 4:30:05 PM

Agreed^

But this is a common problem (What the OP has described) with the PNY 560ti GPU.
The stock voltage is not set high enough and in turn has been causing some of there cards to fail.
They are suppose to release a fix but it has not happened yet.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:19:10 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses!
I think I'll wait for the fix.
PNY has offered me nothing but horrible customer service.
As was stated this is a fairly common problem with this particular model of card, and I have ran many of the aforementioned tests myself.

That said, would an RMA fix this? If they send me the same card with the same issues that others are having, it seems completely superfluous.
All that said I know for certain I will not be purchasing from PNY again.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:29:40 PM

mrdoctorsir said:
Thank you everyone for the responses!
I think I'll wait for the fix.
PNY has offered me nothing but horrible customer service.
As was stated this is a fairly common problem with this particular model of card, and I have ran many of the aforementioned tests myself.

That said, would an RMA fix this? If they send me the same card with the same issues that others are having, it seems completely superfluous.
All that said I know for certain I will not be purchasing from PNY again.

You can always try to adjust the voltage and see if it clears up the problem. It seems to have helped a few others with the same problem. IDK other than that if you feel that an RMA of the card is out of the question. Hopefully they get the fix out...
m
l
a c 644 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 6:40:36 PM

Pink screen of death is a common issue with the recent drivers. Download the latest ones, either or the 301.42 WHQL or today's 304.48 betas and see if that fixes your problem.
m
l
!