Sign in with
Your question

AMD Radeon 5850 Driver Stops Responding + Blue Screen Error

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 3:26:39 PM

My 5850 started giving problems from the last three days.

The are few Problems that happen randomly:

-PC freezes for few seconds then shows "display driver stopped working and has recovered"
-Display Simply turns black and stays like that
-Blue screen shows up with many errors and stuffs written on it

When i had this problem for the time i was using catalyst 12.4. So i uninstalled it and installed v 12.2
It is running fine for 2days, and today suddenly the same problem shows up

Now please help me. I am really confused and scared as well.
Thank You
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 10:28:05 PM

I have the exact same problem for 6 weeks now
every day my PC crashes at least twice and I get the "display driver stopped working and has recovered" at least 10 times

Think are worst especially the last 2 weeks...
last night I did a format hoping it was a bad driver or something
but nothing...

I still have a few months warranty but I would like to find how to reproduce the problem to explain to the store technician...
I am afraid he will test the card for 10 minutes and if the problem doeas not appear he will tell me that the card is ok.....

I am a bit confused right now how to handle the situation.

My configuration
q9550
lan party x48
muskin 4gb
windows 7 64
catalyst 12.6 beta
before format tried rolling back till 12.2 which was the last stable driver before the problem appear.
m
l
June 20, 2012 11:06:57 PM

I also want to find out about the problem..... Few google searches shows that its the GPU problem. Maybe overheating (not sure).
And your point is valid that i might nnot be able to prove to the store keeper about the crashes as it happens 2-3times in a day (actually at night :S)

Currently installed Catalyst 12.1
No solution here

Opened up my casing and cleaned the system few hours ago. Unplugged my HDD SATA cable and plugged it again..
Let me see what happens tomorrow
I also have re installation of Win7x64 in mind.
If the problem occurs again hopefully i will be visiting the store i bought it from
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 2:15:14 PM

I was having this same issue on my Gigabyte HD5850 on the 12.3 and the 12.4 driver. I went ahead and installed the 12.6a beta driver and all has been working just fine. if you want to give it a try, here is a link, but uninstall your old driver 1st. http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

I Thought for the longest time it was the bios on my card, I did put the gigabyte 5870 bios on my card. But it was the drivers I was having problems with.
m
l
June 21, 2012 3:07:33 PM

Ok i will try it. But let me see if anything is changed after my clean up of the casing. I also plan to reinstall my windows once new ATi Catalyst comes out (non-beta version)
m
l
June 21, 2012 3:08:25 PM

by the way, can you please write down the whole process of uninstalling a catalyst. Then what to do to clean it up etc..
before installing a new one
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 2:15:37 AM

Well, I don't go through what some people do, What I do it Uninstall the Catalyst Install manager, well click on Change up top and Express Uninstall and reboot after it does its thing. After you boot back into the OS, install the new drivers and reboot once more and you should be set.

There are other steps you can take to remove the driver, but I never had a problem with the way I described it on multiple ATI and Nvidia cards.
m
l
!