Cheapest PSU to Last 4 Years: i5-3570k and Radeon 7870

^title

I will overclock at some point and would like to have headroom for crossfire.

Please note CHEAPEST!

Thanks
46 answers Last reply
More about cheapest years 3570k radeon 7870
  1. djangoringo said:

Are these prices in Canadian dollars? They seem too low...
  2. trust me the psu is the worst spot to cheap out on
  3. devilofdeaths said:
    trust me the psu is the worst spot to cheap out on

Cheapest quality PSU, I meant.

Are those NCIX prices in Canadian dollars? They seem to good to be true...
  4. ROUGHRIDER13 said:
    Are these prices in Canadian dollars? They seem too low...

You didn't put the information of which country you live in

So for canada get this :

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285
  5. djangoringo said:
    You didn't put the information of which country you live in

So for canada get this :

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX23281

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285

I'm USA, was asking because NCIX is a Canadian site.
  6. If you want it to last 4 years, you should get a five year warranty. You will have to pay for that.
    Look, I've said it at least 100 times; DON't skimp on the power supply!! You will find other places to save money on your build but don't try to save on the power!!

You want to crossifre with a cheap PSU??

facepalm
  7. ROUGHRIDER13 said:
    I'm USA, was asking because NCIX is a Canadian site.

No, it's in us dollars, it's the us ncix site(http://us.ncix.com), not the ncix canadian site.
  8. buzznut said:
    If you want it to last 4 years, you should get a five year warranty. You will have to pay for that.
    Look, I've said it at least 100 times; DON't skimp on the power supply!! You will find other places to save money on your build but don't try to save on the power!!

You want to crossifre with a cheap PSU??

facepalm

I do not intend to skimp on my power supply. I just don't want anything overkill.

I never said I wished to purchase a "cheap" power supply, I said I wanted the "cheapest" for my needs.

Where do you suggest I can save money elsewhere on my build?
  9. The ones i recommended, are all quality psu with enough room for two 7870, they're the cheapest in the sense of the best quality/price.
  10. The SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W will be more than enough for your AMD 7870 and Intel i5-3570K.
    Stable voltages, 5 year warranty, 80 plus gold efficiency (you will earn back money and more in 4 years on electric bills compared to bronze efficiency) for a price of $79.99 +$10.18 S/H.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&Tpk=seasonic%20550w

Review of Seasonic G SSR-550RM:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=323

If want the cheapest up-front cost from a repeatable PSU brand than CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W will do:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
  11. ROUGHRIDER13 said:
    I do not intend to skimp on my power supply. I just don't want anything overkill.

I never said I wished to purchase a "cheap" power supply, I said I wanted the "cheapest" for my needs.

Where do you suggest I can save money elsewhere on my build?

what is your build?
  12. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285

something along the lines of this would be adequate for non upgradable use.
  13. devilofdeaths said:
    what is your build?

Still working out the specs, but something like:

Intel i5-3570k
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Some <$100 Z77 Mobo
    Some low profile 4 GB RAM
    Western Digital Blue 500 GB
    XFX Core Edition Radeon 7870
    Zalman Z9 Plus
    Some quality PSU
    Some cheap optical drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
  14. Ok so what we know is you want enough headroom to possibly run crossfire/sli. To accomplish that and still leave yourself enough headroom for a possible overclock and to make sure your PSU is not over worked You will likely want something around 700-850watts. You also expressed a desire for a very well made PSU that will last 4+ years. Below is a list of some of the best made PSUs in the world.

Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market.

Antec Signature
    Antec High Current Pro -1200w
    Antec HCP Platinum 1kW
    Corsair AX
    Enermax Galaxy
    Enermax Revolution
    Kingwin Lazer Platinum

PCP&C TurboCool
    PCP&C Silencer Greater than 610 watt
    Sapphire Pure
    Seasonic X-Series
    Seasonic S12D/M12D
    Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
    Seventeam ST Greater than 600w (SSI, V2.91)
    Silverstone OP/DA Greater than 700 watt
    Silverstone ZM
    Ultra X3 Greater than 1000 watt
    XFX Black Edition
    XFX XXX Edition
    Zippy/Emacs SSL
    Zippy/Emacs GSM
    Zippy/Emacs PSL
    Zippy/Emacs HG2
    Zippy/Emacs HP2

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1

Antec Neo HE
    Antec High Current Gamer Series

Antec EarthWatts greater than 700 watt
    Antec TruePower Trio
    Antec TruePower Quattro
    Antec TruePower New -- 750w

Akasa PowerGreen 80+
    CoolMax CTG-750 watt/850 watt/1000 watt
    Cooler Master Ultimate/UCP
    Cooltek CT
    Corsair GS600 / GS800

Corsair HX
    Corsair TX
    Corsair VX
    Cougar SX700 and GX700
    Enermax Liberty
    Enermax Infiniti
    Enermax MaxRevo 1350
    Enermax MODU82+
    Enermax Platimax (600, 750, 850, 1.2K)
    Enermax PRO82+
    Enermax PRO87+ (500w + 700w)

Enhance ENP-GH
    EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified

Fortron (FSP) GLN
    Hale82-m 650-750w

iStarUSA PD2
    iStarUSA PD3
    LEPA G500
    OCZ EliteXStream
    OCZ Fatal1ty
    OCZ GameXStream less than 1000 watt (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
    OCZ StealthXStream 400 watt

OCZ StealthXStream 2 greater than 700 watt

OCZ Modstream (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
    OCZ EvoStream
    OCZ ProXStream
    OCZ Z(t)(s) Series Less than 1000W
    OCZ ZX 850w
    PC P&C Silencer less than 610 watt
    PC P&C Silencer MkII
    Rosewill Capstone (450, 750)
    Rosewill Hive (550, 650)
    Seasonic G series

Seasonic S12
    Seasonic M12
    Seasonic Energy Plus
    Sentey Golden Steel Power 850w

SevenTeam ST less than 600 watt
    Silverstone OP/DA 700 watt or less

Supermicro/AbleCom
    Thermaltake Toughpower greater than 600 watt
    Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800w
    Topower Powerbird 900w

Xclio StablePower
    XFX Core Edition

Xigmatek MC
    Xigmatek HC
    Ultra X3
    Ultra X-Pro
    Zalman ZM less than 1000 watt

Info copied from http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Just a quick look down the list yields

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

For $90 after rebate. Highest Tiered PSU, 750W and a 7 year warranty. Id check around a few other sites, but that is a pretty good deal
  15. BriboCN said:
    Ok so what we know is you want enough headroom to possibly run crossfire/sli. To accomplish that and still leave yourself enough headroom for a possible overclock and to make sure your PSU is not over worked You will likely want something around 700-850watts. You also expressed a desire for a very well made PSU that will last 4+ years. Below is a list of some of the best made PSUs in the world.

Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market.

Antec Signature
    Antec High Current Pro -1200w
    Antec HCP Platinum 1kW
    Corsair AX
    Enermax Galaxy
    Enermax Revolution
    Kingwin Lazer Platinum

PCP&C TurboCool
    PCP&C Silencer Greater than 610 watt
    Sapphire Pure
    Seasonic X-Series
    Seasonic S12D/M12D
    Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
    Seventeam ST Greater than 600w (SSI, V2.91)
    Silverstone OP/DA Greater than 700 watt
    Silverstone ZM
    Ultra X3 Greater than 1000 watt
    XFX Black Edition
    XFX XXX Edition
    Zippy/Emacs SSL
    Zippy/Emacs GSM
    Zippy/Emacs PSL
    Zippy/Emacs HG2
    Zippy/Emacs HP2

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1

Antec Neo HE
    Antec High Current Gamer Series

Antec EarthWatts greater than 700 watt
    Antec TruePower Trio
    Antec TruePower Quattro
    Antec TruePower New -- 750w

Akasa PowerGreen 80+
    CoolMax CTG-750 watt/850 watt/1000 watt
    Cooler Master Ultimate/UCP
    Cooltek CT
    Corsair GS600 / GS800

Corsair HX
    Corsair TX
    Corsair VX
    Cougar SX700 and GX700
    Enermax Liberty
    Enermax Infiniti
    Enermax MaxRevo 1350
    Enermax MODU82+
    Enermax Platimax (600, 750, 850, 1.2K)
    Enermax PRO82+
    Enermax PRO87+ (500w + 700w)

Enhance ENP-GH
    EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified

Fortron (FSP) GLN
    Hale82-m 650-750w

iStarUSA PD2
    iStarUSA PD3
    LEPA G500
    OCZ EliteXStream
    OCZ Fatal1ty
    OCZ GameXStream less than 1000 watt (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
    OCZ StealthXStream 400 watt

OCZ StealthXStream 2 greater than 700 watt

OCZ Modstream (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
    OCZ EvoStream
    OCZ ProXStream
    OCZ Z(t)(s) Series Less than 1000W
    OCZ ZX 850w
    PC P&C Silencer less than 610 watt
    PC P&C Silencer MkII
    Rosewill Capstone (450, 750)
    Rosewill Hive (550, 650)
    Seasonic G series

Seasonic S12
    Seasonic M12
    Seasonic Energy Plus
    Sentey Golden Steel Power 850w

SevenTeam ST less than 600 watt
    Silverstone OP/DA 700 watt or less

Supermicro/AbleCom
    Thermaltake Toughpower greater than 600 watt
    Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800w
    Topower Powerbird 900w

Xclio StablePower
    XFX Core Edition

Xigmatek MC
    Xigmatek HC
    Ultra X3
    Ultra X-Pro
    Zalman ZM less than 1000 watt

Info copied from http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Just a quick look down the list yields

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

For $90 after rebate. Highest Tiered PSU, 750W and a 7 year warranty. Id check around a few other sites, but that is a pretty good deal

Is that the cheapest tier 1?

Also, what makes certain power supplies better than others? The 80+ rating? There are 80+ Golds on Newegg for the same price as the one the guy I'm quoting recommended, which is 80+ Silver....

I'm confused.
  16. ROUGHRIDER13 said:

Also, what makes certain power supplies better than others? The 80+ rating? There are 80+ Golds on Newegg for the same price as the one the guy I'm quoting recommended, which is 80+ Silver....

I'm confused.

its sorta because the list on eggxpert is slightly outdated. some of the units on the list are discontinued.
  17. Hi,

I`ve also been looking into buy a new psu and was adviced to get somthing from seasonic or xfx core series. Check out the following wesite for reviews

http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

what make a good psu?

good quality caps

design

build

I was also told to stay away from carsair which would have been my choice of brands as they have recently changed there suppliers.
  18. beefy said:
    Hi,

I`ve also been looking into buy a new psu and was adviced to get somthing from seasonic or xfx core series. Check out the following wesite for reviews

what make a good psu?

good quality caps

design

build

I was also told to stay away from carsair which would have been my choice of brands as they have recently changed there suppliers.

corsair doesn't change their suppliers, they have more than 1 provider depending on the specific unit. Most psu brands done even generate the base model for their psus, which they contract another oem to base a model, and make follow up modifications to the said unit. You just have to know which specific unit is good, and which is not. Realhardtechx has a pretty updated list of reviews for several units from several brands which is good to look through, as it tells you information on rail wattage, the original OEM and such.
  19. dudewitbow said:
    corsair doesn't change their suppliers, they have more than 1 provider depending on the specific unit. Most psu brands done even generate the base model for their psus, which they contract another oem to base a model, and make follow up modifications to the said unit. You just have to know which specific unit is good, and which is not. Realhardtechx has a pretty updated list of reviews for several units from several brands which is good to look through, as it tells you information on rail wattage, the original OEM and such.

Hi,

Thanks for the website plenty of info.

the corsair model I was looking at was the tx850 which used to be made by seasonic but now made by ctw which don`t seem to have such good reviews
  20. At this point, I'm mightily confused, so I decided to look at some other i5-3570k/Radeon 7870 builds to see what they recommended. My questions now are:

How much wattage do I need? (Remember I want to crossfire and overclock at some point)

Which 80+ rating has best price-performance? My guess is 80+ Silver.

If I were to find three PSUs, one 80+ Bronze, one silver, and one gold at the same price (theoretically) with enough wattage, would the 80+ gold one always be better?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.
  21. Get this one : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62224&vpn=P1750BNLG9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285

It's seasonic oem, tier 1 quality psu, 750w plus silver modular(enough juice for two 7870 or 7950 oc+whatever cpu+couple of fans+hdds,ssds,etc).
    And it's the cheapest you'll find.
    Merry Christmas to all.
  22. ROUGHRIDER13 said:

I'm confused.

The rating gold/silver/bronze just is a benchmark to show how efficient the PSU is. All it measures is how much power the PSU outputs at different input levels. It has nothing to do with the quality. Quality is determined by design, components used, build quality and warranty. It may or may not be the cheapest tier one depending on sales. It just seemed to be a good buy on the site I looked at.
  23. dudewitbow said:
    its sorta because the list on eggxpert is slightly outdated. some of the units on the list are discontinued.

The list was updated in November 2012. So it is fairly current. However they do not remove old PSU units that were discontinued because occasionally you can still locate and oldie but goodie. For instance during the black Friday sale I was able to pick up an Antec TruePower Quattro 1200w unit for 99$ off of new egg. The unit has been discontinued so new egg was unloading their stock for less than 50% of retail.
  24. beefy said:
    Hi,

what make a good psu?

good quality caps

design

build

A good PSU is a factor of the components it is made from, the design, quality manufacturing, and the warranty the company places on its products. As certain units are produced by a 3rd party supplier and rebranded or produced in multiple factories it is possible for one model of a PSU to be fantastic and others from the same company to suck. That is why the list I linked contains so many side notes.
  25. ROUGHRIDER13 said:
    At this point, I'm mightily confused, so I decided to look at some other i5-3570k/Radeon 7870 builds to see what they recommended. My questions now are:

How much wattage do I need? (Remember I want to crossfire and overclock at some point)

Which 80+ rating has best price-performance? My guess is 80+ Silver.

If I were to find three PSUs, one 80+ Bronze, one silver, and one gold at the same price (theoretically) with enough wattage, would the 80+ gold one always be better?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

As to your question about wattage I stand behind what I said before.

"Ok so what we know is you want enough headroom to possibly run crossfire/sli. To accomplish that and still leave yourself enough headroom for a possible overclock and to make sure your PSU is not over worked You will likely want something around 700-850watts."

Unless you plan on running SLI/Xfire with overclocked flagship models IE (7970 etc) wattage in this range should be perfect for you.

In regards to your question about Bronze/Silver/Gold rated PSUs all it refers to is how efficient the PSU is with the power it draws. For example for a gold rated 800w PSU to generate 800w of power for a computer it would need to draw 904w or less. By comparison a silver rated PSU would draw between 905-920w and a bronze rated PSU would require 921-944w. The simplest way to think about it is a gold rated PSU will lower your power bill a bit.
  26. ROUGHRIDER13 said:
    Still working out the specs, but something like:

Intel i5-3570k
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Some <$100 Z77 Mobo
    Some low profile 4 GB RAM
    Western Digital Blue 500 GB
    XFX Core Edition Radeon 7870
    Zalman Z9 Plus
    Some quality PSU
    Some cheap optical drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Why a 32 bbit OS ???
  27. djangoringo said:

\With win home PREMIUM 32 BIT why get 8 gb ram ?
  28. I thought he had put the windows 7 home premium 64 bits in the list, good observation, he must get the 64 bits os, it's the same price as the 32 bits.
  29. I thought it was odd , a great sys and not really able to take advantage of the components because of the OS
  30. jerry6 said:
    Why a 32 bbit OS ???

When I got my Vista laptop a Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit upgrade came along with it, which I will use with this system temporarily until my needs require more RAM and Windows 8 becomes more stable.

Back to PSUs....

You know how there's a price-performance sweetspot in GPUs and CPUs, like the 3570k and the 7870? Where's the spot in PSUs? Ultimately, that will determine my decision.

I also need to figure this out pretty soon, as to take advantage of some deals I have to order a few parts tomorrow.
  31. I made a couple of suggestions best psus for the buck for 7870 or 7950 crossfire :

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62224&vpn=P1750BNLG9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

They're all top quality psus, all of them modular ones, and at the best price possible, but there's also a cheaper one with quality but not modular : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59909&vpn=CMPSU-700G&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1033
    Also consider checking the prices of 660ti, it has a great value price/performance, also consider the upgrade right now for a os 64 bits, 8GB ram is really cheap nowadays.
  32. http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62330&vpn=EA750%20GREEN&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1285

Think I'll go with that as long as I can get it at $65. Any final opinions, praise, or objections?

Thanks for the help guys.
  33. Yes, it's also good for 7870 crossfire, it's not modular and not has good as the others mentioned, but it's a quality psu and it can power your system with two 7870.
  34. Great, the Antec one I picked just went back up to $120.

Honestly, the XFX looks good. BUT, what's the best out there for $70? Is the XFX 750W XXX Edition the best value at the price (of $80)

I really wanted to keep it at $70.
  35. I see the antec psu still at 65$, for 70$ only this : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59909&vpn=CMPSU-700G&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1033

It will also do for 7870 crossfire and it's as good as the antec.
  36. ROUGHRIDER13 said:
    When I got my Vista laptop a Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit upgrade came along with it, which I will use with this system temporarily until my needs require more RAM and Windows 8 becomes more stable.

Great, the Antec one I picked just went back up to $120.

Honestly, the XFX looks good. BUT, what's the best out there for $70? Is the XFX 750W XXX Edition the best value at the price (of $80)

I really wanted to keep it at $70.

The keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions. Just install the 64 bit version and use your key.

If your serious about keeping your PSU expenditure at $70, then your best option is the Corsair CX750. As of this writing, its $69 with a $20 rebate added on that could make it $49. But realize your compromising somewhat at that price point. That said, you would likely be happy with it.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75728&vpn=CP-9020015-NA&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1033

If your willing to shell out a few extra pesos for the quality level stated in your original goals, there are a fair number of good choices that are only a few dollars more. Were I in your position, these would be my finalists:

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Corsair HX650

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=42532&promoid=1226

Both are listed at $89 as of this writing. The X-650 is a somewhat better unit in that it has slightly better regulation and efficiency. The corsair has a 7 year warranty to the Seasonic 5 year. Both are built so well, they will likely outlive some of us.

That's my 2 cents.
  37. That is Canadian dollars, people here are underestimating the corsair GS 700w, but it's the best one for now at less than or no more than 70$ :

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59909&vpn=CMPSU-700G&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1033

I put right in the first post, and it still stands as a good option, it can do for two 7870, 7950 or 660/660ti, it's not modular, but it's a good quality psu and will offer more than he needs.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS700-Bronze-Power-Supply-Review/1617/11
  38. FALC0N said:
    The keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions. Just install the 64 bit version and use your key.

If your serious about keeping your PSU expenditure at $70, then your best option is the Corsair CX750. As of this writing, its $69 with a $20 rebate added on that could make it $49. But realize your compromising somewhat at that price point. That said, you would likely be happy with it.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75728&vpn=CP-9020015-NA&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1033

If your willing to shell out a few extra pesos for the quality level stated in your original goals, there are a fair number of good choices that are only a few dollars more. Were I in your position, these would be my finalists:

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Corsair HX650

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=42532&promoid=1226

Both are listed at $89 as of this writing. The X-650 is a somewhat better unit in that it has slightly better regulation and efficiency. The corsair has a 7 year warranty to the Seasonic 5 year. Both are built so well, they will likely outlive some of us.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the Windows pointer, that's a life-saver.

I'll think I'll go with the http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75728&vpn=CP-9020015-NA&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1033 you recommended. Power supplies don't affect performance, so as long as I get one quality and for good money I'm happy.
  39. Don't get the CX, get the corsair GS series, the CX is the entry level of the corsair psus.
  40. djangoringo said:
    Don't get the CX, get the corsair GS series, the CX is the entry level of the corsair psus.

The CX I'm looking at is Bronze certified, while the GS equivalent is not medal-certified, which is lower. They have similar quality and reviews and the CX is $50 after rebate, so to me, the CX is better. Any objections? I'm buying my system tonight.
  41. The GS is 80 plus, yes not bronze, the CX is cheaper.

There's also the antec it's still 65$ : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62330&vpn=EA750%20GREEN&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1285

Either of those will do(GS,CX or earthwatts).
  42. djangoringo said:
    The GS is 80 plus, yes not bronze, the CX is cheaper.

There's also the antec it's still 65$ : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62330&vpn=EA750%20GREEN&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1285

Either of those will do(GS,CX or earthwatts).

I'm going with the Corsair CX-750, thanks for the help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Overclocking Crossfire Intel i5 Radeon Components