Which is better for mainly gaming use

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizy95

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello,
Which is better,AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition or Amd a8 5600k? for mainly gaming use of course .

With 4gb ram at 1600 and 1GB Gigabyte R777OC-1GD as the graphic card.

Thank you for reading~

Solution

The APU has good integrated graphics but weak CPU core power. The 955 has a strong CPU core but no integrated graphics. So it comes down to will you use the integrated graphics? If no then go with the 955 (which I would do anyway) and overclock it.

The APU has good integrated graphics but weak CPU core power. The 955 has a strong CPU core but no integrated graphics. So it comes down to will you use the integrated graphics? If no then go with the 955 (which I would do anyway) and overclock it.

Solution

mizy95

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

How weak is the A8 compared to 955?
and about the integrated graphics,will my performance be better if i used a graphic card on the A8 than the 955 with a graphic card?

I'm not sure exactly how much in terms of percent but the Phenom II is better for sheer CPU power. As for you second question no the APU with integrated graphics would be weaker than an Phenom II with a dedicated video card. A dedicated vide card will pretty much always be stronger than integrated graphics. Even a low end gaming card like a GTX 650Ti would be better than the APU's or Intel's HD integrated graphics.

Assuming stock speeds both the PII X4 955 and the A8-5600k should perform the basically same in games. Overall, the A8 is a slightly weaker CPU, but the higher clock speed basically makes up the difference.

The integrated graphic core of the A8 will do hybrid crossfire (or dual graphics) with any Radeon HD 6xxx series card up to the HD 6670 anything faster and the integrated graphics will be switched off. There is a Radeon HD 7670, but it is only sold to system builders like Dell and HP and it is really a HD 6670 with a new name. Therefore, installing anything faster than the HD 7670 will also switch off the integrated graphics. Not sure if hybrid crossfire will be compatible with any Radeon HD 8xxx graphics card. Lastly, installing any nVidia card will also switch it off.

So if you plan on installing a Radeon HD 6750 / HD 7750 card or faster card, or any nVidia card, then just buy the cheaper of the two CPUs.

mizy95

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Thank you!
This help me alot.

The integrated graphic core of the A8 will do hybrid crossfire (or dual graphics) with any Radeon HD 6xxx series card up to the HD 6670
This..So the A8 will use the integrated graphic alongside with a graphic card that is below the HD 6670 series ?

I disagree. Unless you are going to be taking advantage of the integrated graphics I would not bother with an APU. Since most gamers are not going to use integrated graphics I really would not get an APU for gaming.

Upto and including a 6670. However it is kind of pointless crossfiring two low end graphics which is pretty much what you are doing with hybrid crossfire. You are aways better with one stron GPU than two crossfired or SLI'd low end graphics cards.

mizy95

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

True..Better to invest on a better card..
Buying the cheaper of the two CPUs is a good idea to me.Since both of the cpu doest have much diffrences..

Assuming stock speeds both the PII X4 955 and the A8-5600k should perform the basically same in games. Overall, the A8 is a slightly weaker CPU, but the higher clock speed basically makes up the difference.

Then overclocking the 955 should be better right?When overclocked it got the cpu power and the clock speed of an A8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS