Sign in with
Your question

My GTX 580 is running hot.idling at 50 with fans at 80

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 3:40:26 PM

my GTX 580 seems to be idling hot. 50 or 55C wean I am doing nothing at all. GTX fans are at 83% or around that and it won't go below 50C. I know people say idling should be around 44C or so and 50 is not that big of deal but because the fan speed is at 83% idling that's got me worried. could there be a problem with the fan, I know its working because its sound is strong,. could the fan need cleaning, or perhaps more thermal past on the GPU, never took one appart before but it just dose not seem right. any suggestions

Oh should also say I got the card about 7 months ago wean I built my computer. I did buy the card off ebay, and now I wonder if this was the reason. it did not seem to be doing this before mostly idling around 44c but recently its seen idling higher and with more fan speed. however it has acting odd at times, sometimes my fps playing SC2 randomly take a huge dive going to like 7 or so 10 fps and making the card hot.
June 18, 2012 4:02:43 PM

Yah that seems a bit to warm mine idles around 18c since its liquid cooling. But before i did this i started noticing higher temps after awhile, so first spray it down with air duster to get all the dust out. If there isnt any dust take the card out and add some artic silver thermal paste to it. This is very easy to do and there are also many videos on you tube showing you how to do this.The stock thermal paste suck on most stock cards. I also did this for my 570 i had it dropped the temps 20c and kept the temp on full load a lot lower.
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:09:47 PM

room temp is about 22 or 23 C
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 4:13:58 PM

burtman88 said:
Yah that seems a bit to warm mine idles around 18c since its liquid cooling. But before i did this i started noticing higher temps after awhile, so first spray it down with air duster to get all the dust out. If there isnt any dust take the card out and add some artic silver thermal paste to it. This is very easy to do and there are also many videos on you tube showing you how to do this.The stock thermal paste suck on most stock cards. I also did this for my 570 i had it dropped the temps 20c and kept the temp on full load a lot lower.

that is a good idea, air cleaning and then seeing if that helps my cpu is liquid cooled but not my gpu, so, I well use a can of air fist to see if that helps, I also have a HAF X case and I should clean the fans and so forth and the cpu rad although is normally under 30c
m
l
June 18, 2012 5:03:34 PM

Quote:
As 'burtman88' said you should clean your Graphics Card this will help and you should apply a new coat of thermal paste and be careful while you should't want to do something like he did
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/357404-33-help-urgent...

There are plenty of vids on YouTube to how to do it and here is one the best i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0IzeC-GpLo

Ok, I so far blew some Maxell blast away compressed air into the card, after I disconnected the card. should I actually take card apart to clean, would that matter or blowing the air threw the fan be good, I don't have spar thermal paste right now so going to need to order some but as far as cleaning blowing air into fan, or taking card apart and blowing air. oh and after I did blow air threw the fan the temps seemed to get better, I saw it go down to 42C,. but then wean I opened Google chrome the temp spiked back up a bit, I opened a few more Google chrome windows and after 3 windows were open gpu was back up to 50C. would not think opening a few windows would increase the temp 8 degrees. oh and the fan speed quickly was back up to 83%.
m
l
June 18, 2012 5:13:07 PM

Quote:
you should apply a new coat of thermal paste

ok, and what about the gpu tape stuff or whatever its called should that be changed or only the thermal paste on the GPU, or rather would changing the tape give me any benefits in less heat
m
l
June 18, 2012 5:16:26 PM

Holly crap batman. it just wan't up to 65C only browsing the internet.... what the hell. also I only found out by clicking MSI afterburner and then wean it saw how hot it was fan kicked on to 90% but why was it not on before,, I am lost.
it almost seems as if I don't have MSI afterburner on it will go way up in temp.. even with it on its 50C
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:16:58 PM

Quote:
What is gpu tape can you explain it?
I never even heared about it.

perhaps I am saying it wrong thermal pads , there are white thermal pads on parts of the graphics card not the gpu itself but in parts of the card. I only know this from youtube videos
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 6:30:07 PM

At this point, the temps are okay and within normal limits. You are not at risk of burning out your GPU. So next is to get the fan speeds down, and I believe you have gotten good advice so far. I'm a big fan of changing the thermal paste. Don't worry about thermal tape, which I doubt your card has.

In general, don't worry so much about the temps, it's the fan speed that tells me you have a problem. If you have a reference model, your fan shouldn't get above 75%, generally. 85% is actually the maximum it goes.

Temperature increases are normal during simple web browsing. I'm wondering if you are able to check to see if your GPU is returning to a normal 2D clock speed of 51 mhz, or if you are getting stuck at 405 or 772 mhz when idle. Are you using dual monitors?

One thing you can try is to install the latest beta drivers, 304.48, which have a fix for a well known issue that prevents your card from properly switching between idle, 2D, and 3D clocks.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:58:44 PM

17seconds said:
At this point, the temps are okay and within normal limits. You are not at risk of burning out your GPU. So next is to get the fan speeds down, and I believe you have gotten good advice so far. I'm a big fan of changing the thermal paste. Don't worry about thermal tape, which I doubt your card has.

In general, don't worry so much about the temps, it's the fan speed that tells me you have a problem. If you have a reference model, your fan shouldn't get above 75%, generally. 85% is actually the maximum it goes.

Temperature increases are normal during simple web browsing. I'm wondering if you are able to check to see if your GPU is returning to a normal 2D clock speed of 51 mhz, or if you are getting stuck at 405 or 772 mhz when idle. Are you using dual monitors?

One thing you can try is to install the latest beta drivers, 304.48, which have a fix for a well known issue that prevents your card from properly switching between idle, 2D, and 3D clocks.

I am useing the new drivers the 304.48. I am using one 1080p monitor. and what your saying about fan speed makes sense so you are saying the thermal paste probably is old or melted away or something and that it needs some new past.(makes sense because I orginaly got the card off ebay. I did nothing to the card no cleaning or anything so if the first owner never cleaned or put paste on it card probably has not had new past in 2 years. )
as far as as clock speed I don't know how to check that, would it be on MSN afterburner, dose it say clock speed there.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 7:23:07 PM

followthedon said:
I am useing the new drivers the 304.48. I am using one 1080p monitor. and what your saying about fan speed makes sense so you are saying the thermal paste probably is old or melted away or something and that it needs some new past.(makes sense because I orginaly got the card off ebay. I did nothing to the card no cleaning or anything so if the first owner never cleaned or put paste on it card probably has not had new past in 2 years. )
as far as as clock speed I don't know how to check that, would it be on MSN afterburner, dose it say clock speed there.

Pull up the graph on Afterburner and make sure it is monitoring your core speed. Check it over time, idle, web browsing, gaming, and see if you are properly riding core clock speeds up and down with the load/usage.

Good to see you're using the new drivers. Are you still having the fan/temp problem with them?

If you got the card off eBay, I'm guessing the previous owner attempted to change the thermal paste and either didn't do a good job of it, or failed to properly secure the heatsink back onto the GPU.
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:30:25 PM

17seconds said:
Pull up the graph on Afterburner and make sure it is monitoring your core speed. Check it over time, idle, web browsing, gaming, and see if you are properly riding core clock speeds up and down with the load/usage.

Good to see you're using the new drivers. Are you still having the fan/temp problem with them?

If you got the card off eBay, I'm guessing the previous owner attempted to change the thermal paste and either didn't do a good job of it, or failed to properly secure the heatsink back onto the GPU.

That could be and yes still having fan problems with new drivers . I won't be able to change the card tel night after I get off work, hoping I still have the Thermal past I used on my cpu I think it was Arctic 5 a good brand of past, dammit I been saying it wrong not past paste(I can speak right! damn you dyslexia damn you!) any how I should be able to attempt new paste if I still have that Arctic. I used it about 6 months ago but should still be good being its been closed in its bottle.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 7:33:07 PM

followthedon said:
That could be and yes still having fan problems with new drivers . I won't be able to change the card tel night after I get off work, hoping I still have the Thermal past I used on my cpu I think it was Arctic 5 a good brand of past, dammit I been saying it wrong not past paste(I can speak right! damn you dyslexia damn you!) any how I should be able to attempt new paste if I still have that Arctic. I used it about 6 months ago but should still be good being its been closed in its bottle.

Yeah, it'll still be good. Taking off the shroud is easy and the heatsink is held on with four screws. Just be careful to not apply too much force to the screws, which may cause them to strip. Be firm, but not forceful, and use the right size screwdriver.
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:41:10 PM

17seconds said:
Yeah, it'll still be good. Taking off the shroud is easy and the heatsink is held on with four screws. Just be careful to not apply too much force to the screws, which may cause them to strip. Be firm, but not forceful, and use the right size screwdriver.

Ok, and after I do it I will update the status hopefully it fixes the problem.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 9:29:03 PM

followthedon said:

I missed if you were able to verify that your core speed is properly shifting from 51 mhz > 405 mhz > 772 mhz, up and down depending on your 2D/3D usage. We need to make sure that you're not stuck on 772 mhz at idle.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 10:15:11 PM

sounds like the case isnt sufficent
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 11:07:27 PM

followthedon said:
Holly crap batman. it just wan't up to 65C only browsing the internet.... what the hell. also I only found out by clicking MSI afterburner and then wean it saw how hot it was fan kicked on to 90% but why was it not on before,, I am lost.
it almost seems as if I don't have MSI afterburner on it will go way up in temp.. even with it on its 50C

Be sure to hit the "Reset" button on Afterburner, just in case you enabled some wacky fan profile by accident.
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:19:02 AM

Ok, I took it apart., I did not take it fully apart but got to the heat sink, I blew the fins with air and took the old paste off on the heat sink and the gpu. i put new paste Arctic 5. I put it back to gather. I did see some improvements but not huge improvements. Wean I first turned on my computer my gpu temp at 51C, after I turned on afterburner afterburner saw the temp was high and put the fans to 90%. the temp droped to about 38C(before the coldest it would go was about 42C on max fans and sometimes 50C. ) so that was a improvement but it seems to have the same problems about heating up wean I am doing nothing. right now as I type this with fans on auto its 64C., nothing is on besides tom's hardwere and Gmail but its 64C... however wean I game it dose not skyrocket it stays around 70C or 75C so I don't know whats going on. I am thinking something is wrong with the fan, or the fan sensor or something, to get a good temp in idle I have to have fans at 80%,
oh... as a side note why the hell do they use cheap aluminum screws in graphics cards. Some one had my screws super tight on my card. had to buy a new screwdriver after my attempts at getting the screws out started warping the heads. got my new screwdriver but one screw stayed in there. had to kind of brake the case slightly to get the damn thing out. why not use steel,. or something strong, iron, or if it has to be non conductive brass (brass may be weaker then aluminum but I don't think so) ok my rant is over.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 6:12:58 AM

So what's your core clock speed when you're idling with webpages open?
m
l
June 20, 2012 3:31:15 PM

17seconds said:
So what's your core clock speed when you're idling with webpages open?

Core clock is 1740,shader clock 772,memory clock is 2004, the fan is at 49% in auto mode and temp is 64C
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 4:13:13 PM

followthedon said:
Core clock is 1740,shader clock 772,memory clock is 2004, the fan is at 49% in auto mode and temp is 64C

If that is while you are idling on desktop, then you are stuck in 3D clocks. You should be idling at 51 mhz core/135 mhz memory (as read in Afterburner). I have had similar issues, mainly since the 300+ series drivers came out. Restarting the PC always works to reset the clocks. It also helped to install the latest drivers by doing a completely clean install. Be sure to try the latest 304.48 beta drivers.
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:28:52 PM

17seconds said:
If that is while you are idling on desktop, then you are stuck in 3D clocks. You should be idling at 51 mhz core/135 mhz memory (as read in Afterburner). I have had similar issues, mainly since the 300+ series drivers came out. Restarting the PC always works to reset the clocks. It also helped to install the latest drivers by doing a completely clean install. Be sure to try the latest 304.48 beta drivers.

mmmmmm I see, I did start using 3d recently after buying a 3d monitor off ebay. I wonder if the asus drivers are some how effecting the gpu, I have restarted the computer but it seems to do the same thing,. mmm and what your saying then is the gpu is thinking its in 3d wean its not in 3d.?
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 5:53:49 PM

By "3D", I just mean gaming/high power mode (not 3D glasses mode). Your GPU has three power modes: idle/medium/high (gaming). Your core clock speeds should be 51 mhz/405 mhz/772 mhz for each mode.

It is not uncommon for your GPU to kick into a higher power state with simple web browsing, Flash graphics can do that. But in desktop, particularly right after rebooting your PC, you should always be at 51 mhz, cool and quiet with fans running in the mid-40% up to as high as %55.

What drivers are you using? Try some different drivers and do a clean install. Also, set your Nvidia Control Panel Multi-GPU/Multi-monitor setting to "Single monitor". Set your Power mode to "Adaptive".
m
l
June 20, 2012 6:40:34 PM

17seconds said:
By "3D", I just mean gaming/high power mode (not 3D glasses mode). Your GPU has three power modes: idle/medium/high (gaming). Your core clock speeds should be 51 mhz/405 mhz/772 mhz for each mode.

It is not uncommon for your GPU to kick into a higher power state with simple web browsing, Flash graphics can do that. But in desktop, particularly right after rebooting your PC, you should always be at 51 mhz, cool and quiet with fans running in the mid-40% up to as high as %55.

What drivers are you using? Try some different drivers and do a clean install. Also, set your Nvidia Control Panel Multi-GPU/Multi-monitor setting to "Single monitor". Set your Power mode to "Adaptive".

ok, first I am going to try the new bata drivers, I was using the new drivers but did not see the 3.4 bata driver going to try it first.
m
l
June 20, 2012 7:14:49 PM

Ok.. new problem but it may be simply the new driver. I installed the new bate drivers but I got new problems. It did seem to make the core clock better wean I started comp it was at 405 instead of 772 so that is a improvement. But now everthing is odd. wean I go to navida control panel all I can do is set up stereoscopic 3d and view compatible games. I thoaght it may be something with the 3d so I ran the 3d set up thing but got this error failed to create d3d device with mode matching desktop (1920X1080,0hz,formatl:22)), I also tried playing starcraft 2 but starcraft 2 crashed. Any one know the issue should I install the older drivers.? or uninstall all drivers and start the gtx 580 from scratch.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 10:32:20 PM

followthedon said:
Ok.. new problem but it may be simply the new driver. I installed the new bate drivers but I got new problems. It did seem to make the core clock better wean I started comp it was at 405 instead of 772 so that is a improvement. But now everthing is odd. wean I go to navida control panel all I can do is set up stereoscopic 3d and view compatible games. I thoaght it may be something with the 3d so I ran the 3d set up thing but got this error failed to create d3d device with mode matching desktop (1920X1080,0hz,formatl:22)), I also tried playing starcraft 2 but starcraft 2 crashed. Any one know the issue should I install the older drivers.? or uninstall all drivers and start the gtx 580 from scratch.

Do you actually have Nvidia 3D Vision installed on your system (3D glasses)? If not, you do not need to install the 3D Vision drivers that come with the driver suite.

I would start all over. Uninstall everything Nvidia related. Restart your PC. Install the new drivers using the Clean Install option. Only install those driver components you need (the driver and PhysX software at minimum). Restart the PC, turn on Afterburner and see what your core clock is... before opening any programs.
m
l
June 21, 2012 4:39:13 PM

17seconds said:
Do you actually have Nvidia 3D Vision installed on your system (3D glasses)? If not, you do not need to install the 3D Vision drivers that come with the driver suite.

I would start all over. Uninstall everything Nvidia related. Restart your PC. Install the new drivers using the Clean Install option. Only install those driver components you need (the driver and PhysX software at minimum). Restart the PC, turn on Afterburner and see what your core clock is... before opening any programs.

I did a clean install, I do have a 3d vision monitor and use it sometimes so I installed that again but everything was clean new install, I even uninstalled and re-installed afterburner just for good measure. The core clock still seems to be at 405 and the temp right now is about 46C, the fan speeds are at 39%. So it dose seem better or more controlled fan speeds however the core clock is still jumping up to 405 and wean I first started it with its new drivers I saw right wean the computer started its core clock was at 772 then turned down to 405 after a sec of being on.

oh and on the new drivers I made sure it was on single monitor, I also put it to adaptive power management. So again it seems to be running better but core clock still is not what it should be at. oh also should say I updated it with the new drivers for the install but not the bate drivers because wean I updated them before they were making problems.
m
l
June 21, 2012 6:16:37 PM

Quote:
This is completely normal for a 120hz monitor, the GPU will remain hotter due to the refresh rate needing more from the GPU, it is the same as running dual monitors.

even in idle mode it should be at 404? I thought that was a bit high, mmm to test this if I turn the hrz of the monitor down theoretically it should go lower then right.?
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 6:43:05 PM

Okay, that's good news.
m
l
June 21, 2012 7:17:22 PM

Good job ever one for there input yes that must be it with the 120 monitor. threw Nvidia control panel I put the monitor to 60 and now the core clock at idle is 51, much lower then 404. and temp is down too about 38C fans at 38%. Now one final question being that it uses more power on idle with the 120 monitor and being that the 120 is more or less only for games and movies and such is there a way to make Nvidia understand to only let the monitor be 120 for games and stuff and otherwise be 60?
m
l
June 21, 2012 7:40:12 PM

Quote:
Just change the settings for the games once they load up, EG: 1920x1080~120hz ect

If not, just live with slightly higher temps ;) 

Ok sounds good, and perhaps this is the reason people switch to water cooling there graphics cards or at lest one of the reasons((one day I am going to do it,. all ready got my cpu water cooled. )), oh well good to know nothing is wrong with the card. I felt kind of stupid buying a card on ebay 7 months ago and thinking it has issues now good to know,and learned how to take the blasted things apart.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 7:40:49 PM

It looks like you have to live with it either at 120 hz all the time (the power usage difference is minimal), or keep changing it back and forth manually every time you game.
m
l
June 22, 2012 2:16:58 AM

17seconds said:
It looks like you have to live with it either at 120 hz all the time (the power usage difference is minimal), or keep changing it back and forth manually every time you game.

perhaps not. I set it to 60 hz but it seems to change with games, I played starcraft 2 and looked at fps counter. it showed 89. now this is the sc2 fps counter but would think it can't be that high in less monitor supported 120 in game play.
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 2:55:55 AM

followthedon said:
perhaps not. I set it to 60 hz but it seems to change with games, I played starcraft 2 and looked at fps counter. it showed 89. now this is the sc2 fps counter but would think it can't be that high in less monitor supported 120 in game play.

The question is whether or not you had VSync enabled. If you did, then the 89 says that you were running at a 120 hz refresh rate. If you were at 60 hz with VSync on, then you would max out at 60 fps.
m
l
!