Windows install freezes before it begins on fresh install of new build

Just put together my new system:

Gigabyte GA-990xa-UD3 mobo
AMD FX-8120 Black edition CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD6770 graphics card
2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory
Seagate 1TB harddrive
Thermaltake thoughpower 850W power supply (can't find a model number, lost the box. It's from my last build)

Everything works fine. Boots right up. Doesn't seem to have any issues with hardware. But I go into the BIOS, set it to boot from CD, then it says "Loading Operating System..." then says "Boot from CD/DVD" (I'm trying to install Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate)
After a minute it says "Windows is loading files" with a progress bar, like you would expect on a fresh install. Then it flashes the windows loading logo, goes to a black screen and stays there frozen.

It seems like it is trying to boot the OS from the disk instead of starting a fresh install.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this computer working as soon as possible.
9 answers Last reply
More about windows install freezes begins fresh install build
  1. is the disk scratched at all? can u put it in another system and try to boot off of it?

do you have another windows disk to try? (to test)
  2. Try updating the BIOS. I've checked the download page for your board, and it has had a lot of BIOS updates.

Go to the download page:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3901&dl=1#bios

Download the latest version.

Follow this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLRCwhjujM
  3. The disk is not scratched. Works fine in other computers. I'm thinking that it's the disk in some way... but i really wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas before I went out and bought another disk.
  4. Also, I think the board is AM3 and you have to update the BIOS to support AM3+ CPU's like the FX series. That's why it doesn't work.
  5. I will try that. Thanks
  6. The gigabyte q-flash doesn't recognize the .exe file on my flash drive

Any advice there?
  7. nvm. had to extract. I'm a moron.
  8. The BIOS update had no effect. Still having the same problem at the same spot.
  9. Problem solved. Had to downgrade the BIOS. The newest few are apparently still very buggy.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems