Sign in with
Your question
Closed

General questions about CPU/MOBO upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
December 24, 2012 6:09:23 AM

Hi, I recently moved to pc gaming and started doin some minor upgrades to my old pc, however now I want a new cpu and since my old mobo doesn't support it i'll have to buy a new motherboard aswell.

My current specs:

CPU: E5700 Dual Core @3.0Ghz
MOBO: Intel G41 chipset P49G by pc chips
RAM: 4GB DDR3 (2x2GB sticks)
PSU: ATX-500w-PIV
GPU: PNY GT 430
HDD: 500Gb Barracuda 7200
DISPLAY: 32inch Sony bravia 720p HD TV

I already have the GPU I'll use for my new build which is the Galaxy GTX 650 Ti

After some research and given my budget which is around $200 I'll buy:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V

So the questions are.

1) Will this new parts work well together (GPU/CPU/MOBO) in conjuction with the ones I already have(Do i need new DDr3 ram?)?

2) Is this a good selection of MOBO/CPU for less than $200? (taking into account the GPU I'll use)

3) I've watched a fairly amount of videos on how to build PCs but is there any particular advice on my case? (Do I have to re-install windows7? etc) *my Current OS is installed in a separate part of my HD.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
December 24, 2012 6:28:33 AM

1. Yes . You dont need a new new ddr3 ram
2. You should go for a fx6100 and a am3+ mobo of your range .
3. You should get a 450w or higher psu and you dont need to install windows 7 again .
Also get a proper wireless gamepad .
December 24, 2012 6:56:54 AM

yrules said:
1. Yes . You dont need a new new ddr3 ram
2. You should go for a fx6100 and a am3+ mobo of your range .
3. You should get a 450w or higher psu and you dont need to install windows 7 again .
Also get a proper wireless gamepad .

The ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G mobo is good enough?

Would you recommned a good 430-450w psu, my current psu is quite small and barely fits my in my case 8-9cm width & most corsair/cooler master PSUs I've seen are huge vertically.

I asked about the windows7 reinstall because I read somewhere that after you install all this new hardware the old bios/drivers files or whatever are still saved in the HDD and can cause random errors, also that it could bring issues with the windows validation.

thanks for your time.
Related resources
December 24, 2012 7:08:37 AM

Ya , thats a good one .

No idead about psu's . Here in india a 600W psu sells for $20 .
December 24, 2012 11:07:12 PM

Any other suggestions guys? thanks for the time and happy holidays.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 25, 2012 1:37:56 AM

Hi.

1. Yes the parts should be compatible but I don't know if you'll need to flash the BIOS to make it compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs. I recommend a B75 motherboard instead.

2. The i3-3220 and B75 is a good choice.

3. There's nothing particular that isn't covered in some video somewhere but here's another guide:

http://techreport.com/review/23624/how-to-build-a-pc-th...

I think you will have to reinstall Windows. But even if you don't, it's still recommended for compatibility. Here's a good PSU for $20 after rebate:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 25, 2012 3:52:34 AM

johnsonjohnson said:
Hi.

1. Yes the parts should be compatible but I don't know if you'll need to flash the BIOS to make it compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs. I recommend a B75 motherboard instead.

2. The i3-3220 and B75 is a good choice.

3. There's nothing particular that isn't covered in some video somewhere but here's another guide:

http://techreport.com/review/23624/how-to-build-a-pc-th...

I think you will have to reinstall Windows. But even if you don't, it's still recommended for compatibility. Here's a good PSU for $20 after rebate:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Something like this mobo? ''MSI LGA1155/Intel B75/DDR3/SATA3 and USB 3.0/A and GbE/MicroATX Motherboard B75MA-E33'' ($60)

or this? ''MSI LGA1155/Intel B75/DDR3/SATA3 USB 3.0/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard B75MA-P45'' ($65)

Which one would you recommned?

*Also do I have to reinstall windows before mounting the new hardware so its clean beforehand or after the new pieces are on and functioning?

Thanks for the insight.
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2012 4:18:28 AM

Either of those motherboards will do fine. The difference between the two is that the B75MA-P45 has 2 more memory slots to support 32GB max instead of 16GB, 2 more SATA 3Gb/s ports and it has DVI port while the B75MA-E33 has HDMI. Since you're going to have a dedicated graphics card, it doesn't really matter. So if you want to add more RAM in the future and need more SATA ports, go with the P45.

Backup all your data from your hard drive before you start upgrading. You install Windows after you install the new hardware because Windows won't boot when it detect changes. That's why you have to install Windows after the change is complete. After you have put everything together and they are functional, then reinstall Windows, drivers, programs, and transfer all your data back into the hard drive.
December 25, 2012 5:41:08 AM

johnsonjohnson said:
Either of those motherboards will do fine. The difference between the two is that the B75MA-P45 has 2 more memory slots to support 32GB max instead of 16GB, 2 more SATA 3Gb/s ports and it has DVI port while the B75MA-E33 has HDMI. Since you're going to have a dedicated graphics card, it doesn't really matter. So if you want to add more RAM in the future and need more SATA ports, go with the P45.

Backup all your data from your hard drive before you start upgrading. You install Windows after you install the new hardware because Windows won't boot when it detect changes. That's why you have to install Windows after the change is complete. After you have put everything together and they are functional, then reinstall Windows, drivers, programs, and transfer all your data back into the hard drive.

Last question :p 
I don't have an additonal HDD or SSD atm to save my files, but my HDD is partitioned, the OS is installed on the Drive C and most of my stuff/files are on the Drive D.

If I simply perform a custom Windows7 install on the driveC my files on the driveD will be safe even after the hardware changed right?

Thanks for your time.
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2012 6:03:09 AM

I believe it should. You just need to install Windows on C: without disturbing D:. It's just a good idea to backup to be safe just in case something happens.
December 25, 2012 6:34:05 AM

Best answer selected by Sprix.
!