Recent Update

May 19, 2005 9:34:24 PM

Hi there,

Today I left my computer on and when I got back it had rebooted. When I
logged back in it said it had recently received an update which required an
automatic restart. Any ideas what this update was?

I received some updates the other day but have restarted since then.

--

Regards
Jamie Allison

More about : recent update

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:34:25 PM

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803

You can review your update history by visiting the Windows
Update web site and clicking on "View Installation History"
located in the left pane.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jamie" wrote:

| Hi there,
|
| Today I left my computer on and when I got back it had rebooted. When I
| logged back in it said it had recently received an update which required an
| automatic restart. Any ideas what this update was?
|
| I received some updates the other day but have restarted since then.
|
| --
|
| Regards
| Jamie Allison
May 19, 2005 10:40:50 PM

Well I checked the log and it was windows installer 3.1 although it
was also installed on 13 April. Is this the exact same install?

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 Successful 19 May 2005 Automatic
Updates
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830)
Successful 11 May 2005 Automatic Updates
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830)
Successful 13 April 2005 Automatic Updates
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066) Successful 13 April 2005
Automatic Updates
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
Service Pack 2 (KB890923) Successful 13 April 2005 Automatic Updates
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) Successful 13 April 2005
Automatic Updates
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859) Successful 13 April 2005
Automatic Updates
Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 Successful 13 April 2005 Automatic
Updates

> Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803
>
> You can review your update history by visiting the Windows
> Update web site and clicking on "View Installation History"
> located in the left pane.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jamie" wrote:
>
> | Hi there,
> |
> | Today I left my computer on and when I got back it had rebooted. When I
> | logged back in it said it had recently received an update which required
> an
> | automatic restart. Any ideas what this update was?
> |
> | I received some updates the other day but have restarted since then.
> |
> | --
> |
> | Regards
> | Jamie Allison

May 20, 2005 2:58:29 PM

I restate:
Just because I have Windows update setup to auto-install the updates...
it should NEVER reboot without my permission! Have it sit there
forever with a dialog box *ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO REBOOT* and
leave it there until I come along and allow or deny it.

Reboots should NEVER be done automatically!!! Sure, I can change it to
not install automatically (which I've already done), but I never, in a
million years, would have expected auto-install scripts to freakin'
reboot my machine! That is very wrong and very dangerous. It can cost
LOTS of money. They ABSOLUTELY MUST inform you that when you choose
auto-install that it will also auto-reboot! OR they just just have it
sit there forever with a dialog box *ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO REBOOT*
and
leave it there until I come along and allow or deny it.

IT SHOULD NEVER REBOOT AUTOMATICALLY!
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:33:30 PM

None of our computers reboot automatically.

Tom

!