Recent Update

Hi there,

Today I left my computer on and when I got back it had rebooted. When I
logged back in it said it had recently received an update which required an
automatic restart. Any ideas what this update was?

I received some updates the other day but have restarted since then.

--

Regards
Jamie Allison

    Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803

    You can review your update history by visiting the Windows
    Update web site and clicking on "View Installation History"
    located in the left pane.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jamie" wrote:

    | Hi there,
    |
    | Today I left my computer on and when I got back it had rebooted. When I
    | logged back in it said it had recently received an update which required an
    | automatic restart. Any ideas what this update was?
    |
    | I received some updates the other day but have restarted since then.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Regards
    | Jamie Allison

    Well I checked the log and it was windows installer 3.1 although it
    was also installed on 13 April. Is this the exact same install?

    Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 Successful 19 May 2005 Automatic
    Updates
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830)
    Successful 11 May 2005 Automatic Updates
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830)
    Successful 13 April 2005 Automatic Updates
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066) Successful 13 April 2005
    Automatic Updates
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 (KB890923) Successful 13 April 2005 Automatic Updates
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) Successful 13 April 2005
    Automatic Updates
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859) Successful 13 April 2005
    Automatic Updates
    Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 Successful 13 April 2005 Automatic
    Updates

    > Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803
    >
    > You can review your update history by visiting the Windows
    > Update web site and clicking on "View Installation History"
    > located in the left pane.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jamie" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi there,
    > |
    > | Today I left my computer on and when I got back it had rebooted. When I
    > | logged back in it said it had recently received an update which required
    > an
    > | automatic restart. Any ideas what this update was?
    > |
    > | I received some updates the other day but have restarted since then.
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Regards
    > | Jamie Allison

    I restate:
    Just because I have Windows update setup to auto-install the updates...
    it should NEVER reboot without my permission! Have it sit there
    forever with a dialog box *ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO REBOOT* and
    leave it there until I come along and allow or deny it.

    Reboots should NEVER be done automatically!!! Sure, I can change it to
    not install automatically (which I've already done), but I never, in a
    million years, would have expected auto-install scripts to freakin'
    reboot my machine! That is very wrong and very dangerous. It can cost
    LOTS of money. They ABSOLUTELY MUST inform you that when you choose
    auto-install that it will also auto-reboot! OR they just just have it
    sit there forever with a dialog box *ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO REBOOT*
    and
    leave it there until I come along and allow or deny it.

    IT SHOULD NEVER REBOOT AUTOMATICALLY!

    None of our computers reboot automatically.

    Tom
    <google@easiesttoremember.com> wrote in message
    |I restate:
    | Just because I have Windows update setup to auto-install the updates...
    | it should NEVER reboot without my permission! Have it sit there
    | forever with a dialog box *ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO REBOOT* and
    | leave it there until I come along and allow or deny it.
    |
    | Reboots should NEVER be done automatically!!! Sure, I can change it to
    | not install automatically (which I've already done), but I never, in a
    | million years, would have expected auto-install scripts to freakin'
    | reboot my machine! That is very wrong and very dangerous. It can cost
    | LOTS of money. They ABSOLUTELY MUST inform you that when you choose
    | auto-install that it will also auto-reboot! OR they just just have it
    | sit there forever with a dialog box *ASKING FOR PERMISSION TO REBOOT*
    | and
    | leave it there until I come along and allow or deny it.
    |
    | IT SHOULD NEVER REBOOT AUTOMATICALLY!

Configuration Computers Microsoft Customization Windows XP