Solved

CPU for gaming and VMware

So I'm almost ready to pull the plug at my local NCIX tomorrow but want a final opinion:

I'm going to need to do lots of virtualization soon and most likely run 1-2 servers 24/7. I also want to be able to game while doing so (Skyrim and various Total War titles); or do light photoshop. All games are single player so light lag is fine, and servers don't have to stay up 24/7 if something crashes. So, time to upgrade CPU/RAM/Mobo.

Parts I'm keeping:

Radeon HD4870 (still good enough to run Skyrim near max, and I'm on a budget so can't change this)
Crucial M4 (system boot drive)
2x WD hard drives (Green and Black)

Currently considering:

i5 3570k.. Cheap, easy to OC. Downside: no vt-d, no HT, so not that useful.

i7 3770k.. Easy to OC, has HT. Downside: too expensive, still no vt-d

i7 3770 non-k. Will get this unless people tell me otherwise. HT, vt-d, good single core performance. Can't OC past 4.2 GHz with from what I read, which likely limits its lifespan (I had my 8400 for almost 5 years). Fairly expensive.

AMD FX-8350.. Should I really? Sounds cool on paper for virtualization, bad for everything else. Cheap ($200... 30 less than 3570k), 8 cores, AMD version of vt-d. Beats 3570 for everything except single core performance, but seems to be significantly worse in real-life tasks than tests.

So, should I stick to 3770 or are there other options? (I did think about i7 3820, 4 channel RAM sounds cool, but boards are too expensive). Money is a factor, but HT and vt-d are significant enough factors over the i5. vt-d by itself - not so much, but 3770 non-k seems like it can be oc'd almost as much as 3770k despite locked multiplier.

PS: I'm going to get Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo (always used as many Asus-made components as I could, always loved them).
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming vmware
  1. Best answer
    i7 3770. Job done. It will be more than enough to keep games GPU limited and as you said HT, VT-D.

An LGA2011 would be ideal for the VM work but sounds like it's out of budget.
  2. If you are are running VMWare, then you want a Core i7 CPU since Hyper Threading is used.
  3. Best answer selected by Don Julio Anejo.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs