Tweaking the Windows XP Desktop by Honeycutt - Don't do it!

Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
--
Just Another Lost Programmer....

Who is Mr Honeycutt???

Keith

"Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9691820-CD6C-4B44-9C5F-D7014E6D9F6B@microsoft.com...
> Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
> to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
> the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> --
> Just Another Lost Programmer....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/honeycutt.mspx

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%231kUUQKXFHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Who is Mr Honeycutt???

Keith

"Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9691820-CD6C-4B44-9C5F-D7014E6D9F6B@microsoft.com...
> Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
> to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
> the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> --
> Just Another Lost Programmer....

I suppose Jerry Honeycutt
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/honeycutt.mspx

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
Who is Mr Honeycutt???

Keith

"Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
> to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
> the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> --
> Just Another Lost Programmer....

Thanks, Doug

Keith

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message news:ObSCyALXFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/honeycutt.mspx

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%231kUUQKXFHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Who is Mr Honeycutt???

Keith

"Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9691820-CD6C-4B44-9C5F-D7014E6D9F6B@microsoft.com...
> Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
> to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
> the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> --
> Just Another Lost Programmer....

Thanks, Anando

Keith

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:u1VlhCLXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I suppose Jerry Honeycutt
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/honeycutt.mspx
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Who is Mr Honeycutt???
>
> Keith
>
> "Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
> > to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
> > the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> > option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> > --
> > Just Another Lost Programmer....

Anytime Keith !

--

Thanks, Anando

Keith

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:u1VlhCLXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I suppose Jerry Honeycutt
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/honeycutt.mspx
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Who is Mr Honeycutt???
>
> Keith
>
> "Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs list
> > to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam in
> > the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> > option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> > --
> > Just Another Lost Programmer....

kelly

Hi Terry,

As I have his books here at home, I will admit that I have never read them.
As per the edit, it does apply at times for some users. This statement may
have seemed over the top and broad; however, it isn't the wrong approach,
just a different one. Same as I have included it within my tweaks page.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Vote: Bo

"Terry S" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your Start|Programs
> list
> to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just right click on any progam
> in
> the list and click on "Sort by Name". A bit easier and safer. Maybe this
> option wasn't available before Service Pack 2 ??????
> --
> Just Another Lost Programmer....

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

"=?Utf-8?B?VGVycnkgUw==?=" <TerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mr. Honeycutt suggests tweaking the registry to get your
> Start|Programs list to be sorted in alphabetical order. No, no! Just
> right click on any progam in the list and click on "Sort by Name". A
> bit easier and safer. Maybe this option wasn't available before
> Service Pack 2 ?????? --
> Just Another Lost Programmer....

I don't have SP2 - I tried installing it several times, and always it
messed up my whole system: sometimes I couldn't log in with anything but an
admin account, sometimes my internet connection was gone, etc. But anyway
that's besides the point. Like I said I don't have SP2, and the sort by
name option is there. Maybe his tweak is to do it automatically? 'cause I
do have to do it again after adding anything to the start menu.

zero