Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How do I connect my Graphics card (GT430)? via PCIe

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 18, 2012 7:04:30 PM

I can't seem to connect ym XFX GT430 onto my computer. Usually, i would have to install it, and I currently have placed everything in order, its just I need a PCIe cord but I don't know which one to buy? Please help and if you need pictures or anything, I can get the picture of the plug in for the PCIe port
June 18, 2012 7:10:13 PM

PCIe is a slot on the motherboard that the card plugs into directly. There is no cord.

If you're referring to the power cable which plugs into the back of many cards, that will be a part of your power supply. If you bought a PSU without PCIe cables, then you got a REALLY crappy PSU and should probably buy a different one so as not to burn down your house.
Score
0
Anonymous
June 18, 2012 7:20:10 PM

willard said:
PCIe is a slot on the motherboard that the card plugs into directly. There is no cord.

If you're referring to the power cable which plugs into the back of many cards, that will be a part of your power supply. If you bought a PSU without PCIe cables, then you got a REALLY crappy PSU and should probably buy a different one so as not to burn down your house.

now stop that!
most 350 watt PSUs do not have a PCI-E connection and that does NOT make them a crappy power supply. also in no way would a PSU burn down a house.
Score
0
Related resources
June 18, 2012 7:31:43 PM

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the relay information.
Score
0
June 18, 2012 7:44:02 PM

Anonymous said:
also in no way would a PSU burn down a house.

Sure they can. You're dealing with a lot of electricity, which in turn produces a lot of heat. It's not that rare for a failed, low quality power supply to literally catch on fire. I've personally seen sparks and smoke come out of the back of a computer when the PSU failed, and I've seen scorched cases and motherboards which were in close proximity to PSUs that catastrophically overheated.

And 350W power supplies don't come with PCIe cables because they aren't meant to power video cards that require that kind of power. I'd call that a crappy PSU for the job since it was never intended to do that job. My house fire comment is obviously hyperbolic, but it's still true. You shouldn't be buying a PSU with no PCIe cables if your card requires a PCIe cable.
Score
0
Anonymous
June 18, 2012 8:13:58 PM

willard said:
Sure they can. You're dealing with a lot of electricity, which in turn produces a lot of heat. It's not that rare for a failed, low quality power supply to literally catch on fire. I've personally seen sparks and smoke come out of the back of a computer when the PSU failed, and I've seen scorched cases and motherboards which were in close proximity to PSUs that catastrophically overheated.

And 350W power supplies don't come with PCIe cables because they aren't meant to power video cards that require that kind of power. I'd call that a crappy PSU for the job since it was never intended to do that job. My house fire comment is obviously hyperbolic, but it's still true. You shouldn't be buying a PSU with no PCIe cables if your card requires a PCIe cable.


the common north american household circuit; 15 amps @110 volts is not a lot. a crappy PSU will in NO WAY start a house fire; old or insufficient gauge HOUSEHOLD wiring will cause a house fire.

the OP was not asking about the power required for a GTX 670 but a low powered (under the 75 watts supplied by the PCI-E slot) gt 430. so even by your definition they do not have a crappy power supply since a low watt PSU is more than sufficient for that card.

really the subjective ignorance to freak out someone who is asking for help is not an opportunity for a comedy hour; go hit the open mic night at a comedy club for that.
Score
0
June 18, 2012 8:27:14 PM

I am 99% sure the GT 430 does not need any power cable, it gets it's power from the PCI-Express connector.

Why do you think it needs a cable?

The only cable comes from the monitor, is that what your a talking about?
Score
0
June 18, 2012 8:46:03 PM

Anonymous said:
the common north american household circuit; 15 amps @110 volts is not a lot. a crappy PSU will in NO WAY start a house fire; old or insufficient gauge HOUSEHOLD wiring will cause a house fire.

You don't need high amperage to start a fire, you need high temperature. You can produce the temperatures with AA batteries if you wanted to. I used 9v batteries to start fires in the Boy Scouts all the time. Old, frayed power cords can very easily cause fires, but I guess you don't believe that because they're not carrying enough power?

Also, a single spark can start a fire if it catches on something flammable. Your assertion that electrical fires can only be started by faulting household wiring is quite simply dumbfounding.

Quote:
the OP was not asking about the power required for a GTX 670 but a low powered (under the 75 watts supplied by the PCI-E slot) gt 430. so even by your definition they do not have a crappy power supply since a low watt PSU is more than sufficient for that card.

I was referring to if he was needing a PCIe power cable off a PSU that doesn't have one. I guess I could have been more clear in the initial post. So sue me for not looking up the power requirements for the GTX 430 and simply assuming that it needed the power adapter since that's the only thing that remotely made sense for what he was talking about.

Quote:
really the subjective ignorance to freak out someone who is asking for help is not an opportunity for a comedy hour; go hit the open mic night at a comedy club for that.

Where did I freak out? I said the PSU was crappy, how is that freaking out? Seriously, if anybody freaked out, it's you.

As far as my hyperbole goes, I still stand by the core message. Don't buy cheap PSUs, and if you did by accident, it's wise to replace them.
Score
0
June 18, 2012 8:52:03 PM

bkoop said:
I am 99% sure the GT 430 does not need any power cable, it gets it's power from the PCI-Express connector.

Why do you think it needs a cable?

The only cable comes from the monitor, is that what your a talking about?

/\
What they say :)  The 430 does not need any extra power. Just install it and connect your screen to it. Hit up nvidia.com for drivers and you should be good to go.

OFF TOPIC
They did make power supplies before PCI-E became common. Does this make them crap? Nope. So long as the 12 volt current needed is present, it will work with adapters. I have a 300 watt power supply with a PCI-E cable :)  Yet an Antec 380 watt without.

It is still good to watch out for those 500 watt power supplies with less 12 volt current then a 300 watt power supply from a good power supply maker.

As for fires, unlikely as it is even a 9 watt CFL bulb CAN burn the house down. Not that it will happen to you, just that it can. Lucky enough, most modern electrical parts will burn out before they can find other sources of fuel to burn(and most are not made with flame resistance in mind.).
Score
0
Anonymous
June 18, 2012 10:42:09 PM

willard said:
<SNIP>

your two points that a
A) it is a crappy PSU if it does not have a CPI-E power connection
and
B) it can cause a house to burn down

are both completely ignorant PERIOD. no trying to change the point or twist what i said can amend that.

do not give advice unless you know what you are talking about.

have a good day :) 
Score
0
June 19, 2012 2:16:27 AM

Anonymous said:
your two points that a
A) it is a crappy PSU if it does not have a CPI-E power connection
and

Forgive me for skimming his post and simply assuming that since he was talking about a PCIe cable he was looking for a PCIe cable to plug into his video card. My point (that I've made three times now) is that if your video card needs a PCIe cable and you bought a PSU that doesn't have one, you got a crappy PSU and should get a different one. This was the (false) assumption I was making in that first post. How many times do I need to clarify this?

Quote:
B) it can cause a house to burn down

You're not familiar with what hyperbole means, are you? It's not meant to be taken literally, it's an exaggeration meant to drive a point home (that point being don't skimp on the PSU, which many novice builders do). You're just so invested in proving me wrong you can't let go of anything here and will argue every single thing I say.

I knew a guy like you back in college. He'd argue about anything, and was an expert in any subject that was pulled in tangentially. Anything you pointed out he would argue with, even widely accepted facts (like, your garbage about electrical fires). If you kept up long enough, he'd just claim the whole thing was stupid so he could drop it without having to admit he was wrong about anything. He wasn't a lot of fun to be around.

Quote:
no trying to change the point or twist what i said can amend that.

I haven't changed my point at all, you just refuse to accept that my point is anything but your own narrow interpretation so you can come in and act superior. Hell, I've repeatedly admitted being wrong about his PSU as a result of my false assumption. What do you want, a written letter of apology that I ever stated something that was in disagreement with you, oh god of the forums?

And twist your words? I twisted nothing. You stated very clearly that it is impossible to start a fire with a faulty PSU (false), stated that you need high power output to start a fire (also false) and suggested very strongly that the only potential cause of an electrical was faulty house wiring (even more false). When confronted with how laughably wrong these points are, you just hide behind the guise of me twisting your words? Your ego is totally out of control, dude.

I've admitted (repeatedly) that I was wrong about the OP's PSU. Time for you to admit what you said about electrical fires was patently false and that you've been beating a dead horse for the sake of your fragile ego.

Quote:
do not give advice unless you know what you are talking about.

You might consider taking your own advice, mister electrical safety expert.

Maybe you should tour the country advising fire departments. I hear they've been telling people not to overload electrical sockets and be sure not to use frayed wires or run extension cords under rugs because of the fire risk. Seems they're wrong, though, because none of that is high power or household wiring. Don't want to spread any misinformation, right?
Score
0
June 19, 2012 2:36:13 AM

Hah, trust me I had an 8 year old enermax psu die in the middle of the night on me, electricity was arcing inside the unit. Pulled the power plug and my room smelled like burnt electronics for days, just glad I was awake at the time.

Is it likely to happen? no, can it happen? yes.
Score
0
Anonymous
June 19, 2012 1:26:53 PM

willard said:
<SNIP>

:lol: 
butthurt are we?

you were completely out of line to tell the OP they had a crappy PSU and ought to buy a new so as to not burn down their house.

playing with fire as a kid and subsequently wetting the bed or whom you met while cruising some college campus is completely unrelated.

as far as i being some sort of egomaniac that continues to argue point by point no matter how erroneous my view is . . well just look at your last post. kettle meet pot.
Score
0
June 24, 2012 9:40:43 AM

I think the OP got the answer he wanted.I'm locking this thread before it goes down further.
Score
0
!