Sign in with
Your question

No fans are spinning

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2012 8:18:43 PM

I put together a build with a sabertooth z77, gtx 680 dcii top, xigmatek dark knight CPU cooler in a thor v2 case. When. Hit the power button the standby led on the mobo goes green and the gpu led lights up green but neither my CPU fan or any case fans are spinning
Help!

More about : fans spinning

August 8, 2012 8:22:17 PM

Houseboratheon said:
I put together a build with a sabertooth z77, gtx 680 dcii top, xigmatek dark knight CPU cooler in a thor v2 case. When. Hit the power button the standby led on the mobo goes green and the gpu led lights up green but neither my CPU fan or any case fans are spinning
Help!

Are you sure your CPU fan is in the CPU_Fan connector? And are the fans in the correct connectors?
m
l
Anonymous
August 8, 2012 8:22:22 PM

Where are your fans connected?
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 8:24:40 PM

My CPU fan Is indeed in the correct header on the mobo and my fans are hooked up to the fan controller and then through molex
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:28:56 PM

Houseboratheon said:
My CPU fan Is indeed in the correct header on the mobo and my fans are hooked up to the fan controller and then through molex

Have you checked your BIOS for your fan settings, I've heard that sometimes your Motherboard turn off fans sometimes.
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:33:28 PM

Ry4n said:
Have you checked your BIOS for your fan settings, I've heard that sometimes your Motherboard turn off fans sometimes.

I'm kind of scared to turn it on without a fan running though....
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:34:52 PM

Houseboratheon said:
I'm kind of scared to turn it on without a fan running though....

That's what I'm think about as well, But unless you QUICKLY check it. But if you are it makes good use just to double check the connectors just in case.
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:36:53 PM

Ry4n said:
That's what I'm think about as well, But unless you QUICKLY check it. But if you are it makes good use just to double check the connectors just in case.

Also the led's on my case don't turn on either, don't know if that's related
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:03:49 PM

im having same problem, did you check your system headers are correct? i pulled mine completly off while im troubleshooting, not sure what my problem is, maybe CPU fan not seated properly?
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:19:24 PM

drillsar said:
im having same problem, did you check your system headers are correct? i pulled mine completly off while im troubleshooting, not sure what my problem is, maybe CPU fan not seated properly?

Actually I'm going to double check that nota because I think the power button on my chassis is not working
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:33:36 PM

Is there a way to turn the power on, on the mobo? I think I have been just seeing standby led's and haven't actually turned on the power because the front panel may not be working
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:43:00 PM

Sorry for not replying, There should be a On/Off button on the MOBO.
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:54:34 PM

Ry4n said:
Sorry for not replying, There should be a On/Off button on the MOBO.

Their is no such button on mine, I tried starting by using a screwdriver to connect the pwr pins but it still won't start, the pins have no damage...
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:02:32 PM

What about the GPU fans - do they turn or not? The current is obviously getting to the card if it lights up, thus they should turn the fans as well.

What power supply are you using?
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:08:49 PM

mInInOwA said:
What about the GPU fans - do they turn or not? The current is obviously getting to the card if it lights up, thus they should turn the fans as well.

What power supply are you using?

The gpu fans do not, I'm starting to think that I'm only seeing standby led's and that I can not turn the power on. I'm using the hive 750w
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:45:04 PM

Any ideas on how to turn the power on, my front panel power doesn't work and neither does touching the pins with a screwdriver. The pins are not damaged btw
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:55:52 PM

You can short the two pins together that go to the switch. All the switch does is connect these two wires together. (Just be sure you have the correct two pins; sometimes there are contacts showing oon the back of the power switch, you can short it there as well if they are showing)
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:59:04 PM

Do paper clip test on psu, I did found out mobo is faulty
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:18:43 PM

drillsar said:
Do paper clip test on psu, I did found out mobo is faulty

How did you find out your mobo is faulty?
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:30:32 PM

I did paper clip test, psu is fine. I checked mb out. Took cpu out of socket. Pins are bent in the socket. If paper clip test works 95% its the motherboard but it can also be memory
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:30:59 PM

The computer has alot of safety features. If it detects heat, short circuit it will shut off.
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:32:48 AM

Here's the paper clip test he's referring to:
http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-c...

This is essentially the same as shorting the pins on the motherboard I assume (except without the motherboard). The green wire is essentially the on switch line, it connects through the 20pin connector from the PSU to the mobo, and up through the front panel connectors to the power switch.

I've never seen anyone do this as described with the PSU completely disconnected. I have however bypassed the power switch by shorting before with it all hooked up.
m
l
!