Sign in with
Your question

$850 - $1000 PC for CAD, some rendering, light gaming

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2012 8:18:34 PM

Hello all,
Here are my requirements:

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Preferrably this weekend (Looking to take advantage of sale holiday weekend if I can get things from micro center)

Budget Range: $850 -$1000 max

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: I need everything including keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Reliable website

Parts Preferences:

Overclocking: Maybe down the road in 3-4 years. Will over clocking then allow my pc to perform reasonably better so I prolong the purchase of a new one?

SLI or Crossfire: Not looking for a hardcore gaming system right now so no

Your Monitor Resolution:, 1920x1080 seems ok

Additional Comments: SolidWorks, 3ds Max, Maya

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I currently have a Dell Studio Laptop (do not have the specs on it right now) which is able to run the listed programs, but only so-so (struggles when doing assemblies, multiple parts, etc). Haven’t even tried rendering with it and the screen is too small, in my opinion, to comfortably do anything

Here is the part list that I have compiled: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e9dr

I hope to be able to have a system that lasts me a few years down the road until after I graduate ( 2.5-3.5 years down the road) and maybe slightly afterwards so I do not have to buy a new PC straight out of college. The only reason that I am looking to get a PC is because I have access to all these programs through my university and am looking to take advantage of them. I do not play much games (besides LoL and lately, some Diablo 3) so I was thinking that I do not need a really great gpu. I will be rendering but not a large amount.

Also, how does this compare to the Dell XPS 8500 with the monitor added on? http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d...
August 8, 2012 9:58:58 PM

Quote:
Here is the part list that I have compiled: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e9dr

That's a good start but it's incredibly pointless to get a B75 with an i5-3570K - you won't get access to the multiplier and you limit the full functionality of the CPU.

Quote:
Also, how does this compare to the Dell XPS 8500 with the monitor added on? http://configure.us.dell.com/dells [...] =dhs&cs=19

They don't compare even slightly. Dell systems include junk PSUs, watered down GPUs and CPUs, and use proprietary form factors that make upgrading difficult and in some cases near impossible. It's way better to build your own.

Try this setup for $1K with monitor:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.86 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.98 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.64 @ Amazon)
Total: $1019.29
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-08 17:59 EDT-0400)
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:59:17 AM

id get g-unit1111's build but id get the asus 7850 since its 10 bucks cheaper. id also get the antec 302 instead since its like 20 bucks cheaper as well
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 8:18:54 PM

I have actually recently gotten my hands on a new 1920 x 1080 monitor. As such, my budget can now go up to $1000 for the computer itself. What would you say about this build? I might switch to the antec 302 but its only $5 cheaper right now. Are both cases reliable? Is my psu sufficient for the card?

Also, I'm actually preparing to go into micro center to take advantage of their in-store price for cpus and $50 off the gigabyte motherboard which is why I have that combination. Therfore the total price is actually $50 cheaper. This does not show up on pcpartpicker.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/edv7

m
l
August 9, 2012 8:50:52 PM

Quote:
I have actually recently gotten my hands on a new 1920 x 1080 monitor. As such, my budget can now go up to $1000 for the computer itself. What would you say about this build? I might switch to the antec 302 but its only $5 cheaper right now. Are both cases reliable? Is my psu sufficient for the card?

Yeah that PSU will work, my build includes a better PSU in case you decide to do Crossfire with that video card.

Antec makes very reliable cases, but check out the 100 as it's a much newer model than the 302 is.

Quote:
Also, I'm actually preparing to go into micro center to take advantage of their in-store price for cpus and $50 off the gigabyte motherboard which is why I have that combination. Therfore the total price is actually $50 cheaper. This does not show up on pcpartpicker.

Again I'll say it's an incredibly bad idea to pair a 3570K with a B75 motherboard since you forfeit access to the multiplier. Something like the Asrock Pro4 would be a better choice.
m
l
August 9, 2012 9:27:15 PM

The motherboard I have now is actually a z77? I took it straight out from one of your builds in your sig
m
l
!