Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 2400 cpu stuttering

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 24, 2012 11:33:59 AM

gtx 680 2gbSC
Intel i5 2400 @ 3.1ghz
8gb of ram
msiz77agd65 motherboard
850w Corsair PSU

Recently I've noticed that my CPU constantly stutters while running applications and specially while gaming. My cpu never exceeds 55c on max load even after hours of gameplay. CPU core voltage hovers from 1.168 to 1.176v while running prime98. The stuttering is especially noticeable while running games like Battlefield 3. The CPU has never been overclocked or even removed from its socket before. Ever since i purchased this CPU I had the overwhelming sense that it is underperforming for some reason and I really couldn't pinpoint the reason why it is doing so and I would appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what is wrong with my cpu/system. I also know that the my cpu could be a bottleneck for my cpu, but I want to know if bottlenecking could possibly cause any actual harm to the system. I'm planning to upgrade this cpu regardless in the future, but I want to know if there is anything I could do to figure out what exactly is wrong with it first.

Here is a 3Dmark11 benchmark result for the system

P8631
Graphics score 10450
Physics score 5640
Combined score 5720

More about : 2400 cpu stuttering

a c 78 à CPUs
December 24, 2012 12:04:38 PM

I wouldn't worry about damage if your voltage and temps are good. (I would double check temps with another program though, just to make sure)

Nvidia usually has older drivers available for download. The 6xx series probably doesn't have many older drivers, but I would try some of the older drivers for your graphics card series and see if any of them help.
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 9:40:51 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I wouldn't worry about damage if your voltage and temps are good. (I would double check temps with another program though, just to make sure)

Nvidia usually has older drivers available for download. The 6xx series probably doesn't have many older drivers, but I would try some of the older drivers for your graphics card series and see if any of them help.




I don't think the drivers have anything to do with it. The issue is not with the gpu, its with the cpu. The cpu is the only thing that randomly spikes causing the stuttering. I do not even suffer an fps drop at all when it stutters. I remain at 60fps or above during the stuttering, which is very very confusing.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
December 25, 2012 10:00:22 PM

sherifsaid123 said:
I remain at 60fps or above during the stuttering, which is very very confusing.


I'm not sure I understand your definition of stuttering then.


m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 26, 2012 12:32:17 AM

sherifsaid123 said:
Random CPU spikes that cause short hickup. Look at some of these pictures to help clarify.
http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/sherifsaid123/me...


"Short hickup"?

Does this manifest itself as a visual anomaly other than dropped frame rates?

I see the CPU usage chart, but I'm asking what the game is doing while your CPU spikes. (If it's staying above 60FPS)

m
0
l
December 26, 2012 1:07:36 AM

No visual anomalies. Sometimes this happens during an intense fights and sometimes while just running. The game doesn't drop below 60 while Vsync and triple buffering is off. While vsync and TB is on, the lowest I seen it go was 37 during an intense fight. When the CPU spikes I see that the frames do drop on occasion, but it shouldn't be to the point that it causes stuttering. The stutter is pretty much a 1 second freeze or perhaps even lower. This causes the game to feel very unplayable.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 26, 2012 1:36:07 AM

sherifsaid123 said:
No visual anomalies. Sometimes this happens during an intense fights and sometimes while just running. The game doesn't drop below 60 while Vsync and triple buffering is off. While vsync and TB is on, the lowest I seen it go was 37 during an intense fight. When the CPU spikes I see that the frames do drop on occasion, but it shouldn't be to the point that it causes stuttering. The stutter is pretty much a 1 second freeze or perhaps even lower. This causes the game to feel very unplayable.


A one second freeze is one frame per second. (at least that second anyway)

I would simplify. (First I would try to roll back my video driver to a time when it last worked, because that's a pretty easy thing to try)

I would stop all non-essential programs (Including the one that's monitoring stats and telling you that your FPS never drop) and then try to play the game.

If the problem persists, try lowering the eye-candy until the problem stops.

What we are trying to do is get a working baseline from which we can systematically progress until one step causes the problem again.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 2:07:10 AM

I already tried multiple drivers and ended up with the same result. I even upgraded from a 560ti to gtx680 just to try and get rid of this problem. FPS improved, but stuttering remained.

I run gamebooster and close all unnecessary processes regardless. I also close the one that's telling me that my FPS never drops when I'm not taking pictures for you to see all the information you need to know.

I tried every setting in the game already. This is kind of the obvious thing to do when you're getting performance issues.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 26, 2012 2:20:47 AM

Have you verified temps with a second program?

m
0
l
December 26, 2012 2:33:47 AM

EVGA percisionx, real temp, core temp, and two other programs that I can't remember their names. One of them I think was called speed fan or something like that. CPU cores do not exceed 55c at full load while gpu reaches 60c at full load.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 26, 2012 9:53:36 AM

Try disabling all of your power-saving functions in the BIOS and see how it behaves.

What kind of ram are you running and @ what speed/voltage?

m
0
l
!