Sign in with
Your question

NEWB here needs help selecting a graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 7:49:45 PM

Hello,
I am currently in the market for a new desktop PC. With that PC I would like to purchase a new video card with a hdmi output for my basic HD video requirements. Here is what I am buying and what I am looking for. I am getting an i5 with 6 gb of ddr3 ram at 1333 mhz.

My needs consist of this, I do not game on my computer and do not have the need for a really advanced graphics card for that purpose. I would however like to watch 1080p video either caught off my DSLR or a digital copy of a movie on my computer.

I just need a video card that can flawlessly display 1080p hd video via HDMI, I do not need an advanced card for gaming. For $70 (i know its overpriced) I can add a radeon hd 6450 through dell to my desktop. I know this is AMD's bottom of the line card, but for my non gaming needs will it suffice? Or should I look into something with a little more power. My budget on this is $75. THanks for any help you guys can give a newb like me.
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 8:11:22 PM

If you are only watching movies, I would look into integrated graphics. Which i5 are you getting?
m
l
June 18, 2012 8:16:24 PM

2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (6MB Cache, 3.0 GHz)

Part of the reason I dont want to go with integrated graphics, other than concern over performance, is that I really want an hdmi output to stream straight into my 63" plasma. There are other connections that I can use, but it gets a bit messy with seperate video and audio cables so I would prefer to just have an hdmi output to put straight into my flat screen.
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 8:16:29 PM

I agree with Ray, if you're not playing games or doing video editing or other professional graphics work, just go with intel integrated graphics. may I ask what you need the i5 for? if it's just because it's a highly rated CPU, I would recommend looking into AMD's Llano APUs, and possibly Trinity once the desktop versions are released (soon). their integrated graphics are better than Radeon HD 6450
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 8:17:22 PM

shankapotomus20 said:
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (6MB Cache, 3.0 GHz)

Part of the reason I dont want to go with integrated graphics, other than concern over performance, is that I really want an hdmi output to stream straight into my 63" plasma. There are other connections that I can use, but it gets a bit messy with seperate video and audio cables so I would prefer to just have an hdmi output to put straight into my flat screen.

HDMI output comes from your motherboard, which you can choose. the ones geared for HTPCs all have an HDMI output
m
l
!