Sign in with
Your question

New 7850 - no signal to monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 8:27:58 PM

Hi all,

I installed a new HD7850 to my PC today, in place of an old 8800GTX. I started up the computer with the new card in the same PCI-E slot, and it went to the windows splash screen. I logged into my user account, where it went to a blank blue screen. It stayed like that for >5 minutes, and stopped responding to input. I powered it off with the main power button, and restarted it. This time, the monitor stayed at standby. The motherboard diagnostic lights indicated that there was a possible graphics card failure. Removing the new card and putting the 8800GTX back worked fine, so the issue isn't the monitor.

The PSU is rated at 750W, and there were 2 6-pin inputs for the 8800GTX. The 7850 has one 6 pin input, so I used one of these. I don't know if the system is posting as there is no display on the monitor. It works fine with input from a laptop also. I've reseated it, reset with the CMOS battery, reset BIOS to factory.

Any ideas? Does it need to be RMA'd or could it be something else.

More about : 7850 signal monitor

a b C Monitor
June 18, 2012 9:49:28 PM

You're swapping an nvidia card for a raedon card, did you uninstall the old drivers and install the raedon drivers?
June 18, 2012 10:02:38 PM

No, but shouldn't the monitor still display POST? I was going to remove the old drivers and install the new ones from the setup cd once I logged into windows.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 18, 2012 10:20:02 PM

This is the way I've always done it, as specified on amd's support pages. So far, it's worked fine. http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870How...

1.Upgrade an old graphics card to a new model
a.
a.Note! Before getting started, ensure that you know the model of your graphics card. It will come in handy for several steps in the process. Refer to Article GPU-55 for information on how to identify your graphics card
b.Verify that the new graphics card is compatible with the motherboard. Refer to the motherboard manual to determine compatibility
c.Verify that the graphics card’s requirements are met by the system. Refer to AMD’s Products and Technologies page to determine the system requirements for your graphics card
d.Verify that the operating system has the latest service packs / updates
e.Download the latest drivers for the graphics card from AMD’s Graphics Drivers & Software page. Refer to Article GPU-56 for information on how to use the graphics driver utility
f.Download the latest drivers for the new graphics card
g.Remove any pre-existing drivers / software for the graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-57 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall old drivers
h.Uninstall the old graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-58 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall the old graphics card
i.Install the new graphics cards. Refer to Article GPU-59 for detailed instructions on how to install the new graphics card
j.Install the latest drivers for the graphics card. For detailed instructions on how to install the latest graphics drivers, refer to:
i.Article GPU-33 for a Windows 7 based system
ii.Article GPU-1 for a Windows Vista based system
iii.Article GPU-2 for a Windows XP / Windows 2000 based system

It may be that because the nvidia drivers are still in there, that your system is looking for the nvidia card. I've always followed the steps listed above and removed drivers before installing new cards.
June 18, 2012 10:58:38 PM

Well, gave that method a shot. No change, and no lights on keyboard/mouse plus mobo diagnostic lights giving the same error, so it's definitely not POSTing.
a b C Monitor
June 18, 2012 11:12:52 PM

Sorry bud, but I can't help any further. As I said, that's the way I've swapped out cards and so far I haven't had too many problems (touch wood) Hang in there though, I'm sure one of the gpu guru's will come to the rescue as soon as they've got the time.
Good luck.
June 18, 2012 11:33:44 PM

What motherboard do you have? You might as well list your full system specs including psu.

Sometimes there is an issue with compatibility with PCI-e 1.0 slots and PCI-e 2.0 and above GPUs although it should be all backwards compatible. Sometimes updating the motherboard's BIOS will fix the problem tho.
June 18, 2012 11:59:37 PM

a little black duck: Thanks for your help
recon - uk: Yes, the connections seem good. I've tried both 6 pin pci-e power connections that previously powered the 8800GTX
1tym: The full system specs are:

CPU: Core 2 Extreme QX6700 @ 2.66GHz
MOBO: nForce4 SLI Intel Edition / nForce 570 SLI southbridge
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 PC2-6400, 2x1GB DDR2-5300
HD: 2x160GB 7200 discs in RAID-0
PSU: Dell NPS-750BB-00 750W

!