how to open same type of file with different programs?

I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?
6 answers Last reply
More about open type file programs

    Yes. Create a shortcut and use the command line IEXPLORE.EXE http://www.yourlinkgoeshere.net

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07AE958C-6FB0-4058-A98D-44CBEE0A447C@microsoft.com...
    > I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
    > it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
    > open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?

    Great - thanks :-)

    I had to put the full path for iexplore.exe but that's done it. Thanks again!

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Yes. Create a shortcut and use the command line IEXPLORE.EXE http://www.yourlinkgoeshere.net

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07AE958C-6FB0-4058-A98D-44CBEE0A447C@microsoft.com...
    > > I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
    > > it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
    > > open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?

    You're welcome. I just put it in the Run dialog, without the path and it worked. Shortcuts are a little picky, I guess :)

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBC22597-8117-4401-A8E8-1D803B161078@microsoft.com...
    > Great - thanks :-)
    >
    > I had to put the full path for iexplore.exe but that's done it. Thanks again!
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. Create a shortcut and use the command line IEXPLORE.EXE http://www.yourlinkgoeshere.net
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07AE958C-6FB0-4058-A98D-44CBEE0A447C@microsoft.com...
    >> > I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
    >> > it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
    >> > open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?

    Doug Knox MS-MVP rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

    > You're welcome. I just put it in the Run dialog, without the path and it
    worked. Shortcuts are a little picky, I guess :)

    He could put C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer in his path enviroment.

    True, but there are enough programs that like to screw with the PATH statement. :-)

    "Black Baptist" <pray@the.church.com> wrote in message news:Xns965C7858ED66Bpraythechurchcom@Letuspray...
    > Doug Knox MS-MVP rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >
    >> You're welcome. I just put it in the Run dialog, without the path and it
    > worked. Shortcuts are a little picky, I guess :)
    >>

    > He could put C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer in his path enviroment.

    Doug Knox MS-MVP rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

    > True, but there are enough programs that like to screw with the PATH
    statement. :-)

    Nod

Configuration Internet Explorer Browsers Firefox Windows XP