Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

how to open same type of file with different programs?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 20, 2005 9:23:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:32:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Yes. Create a shortcut and use the command line IEXPLORE.EXE http://www.yourlinkgoeshere.net

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07AE958C-6FB0-4058-A98D-44CBEE0A447C@microsoft.com...
> I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
> it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
> open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?
May 20, 2005 12:32:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Great - thanks :-)

I had to put the full path for iexplore.exe but that's done it. Thanks again!

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Yes. Create a shortcut and use the command line IEXPLORE.EXE http://www.yourlinkgoeshere.net
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> --------------------------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07AE958C-6FB0-4058-A98D-44CBEE0A447C@microsoft.com...
> > I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
> > it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
> > open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:01:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You're welcome. I just put it in the Run dialog, without the path and it worked. Shortcuts are a little picky, I guess :) 

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBC22597-8117-4401-A8E8-1D803B161078@microsoft.com...
> Great - thanks :-)
>
> I had to put the full path for iexplore.exe but that's done it. Thanks again!
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Yes. Create a shortcut and use the command line IEXPLORE.EXE http://www.yourlinkgoeshere.net
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07AE958C-6FB0-4058-A98D-44CBEE0A447C@microsoft.com...
>> > I've just switched over to Firefox as my main browser. Some sites don't like
>> > it, though, and insist on IE. Can I set up a link on my desktop that will
>> > open a particular site in IE, even though my default browser is Firefox?
>>
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Doug Knox MS-MVP rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> You're welcome. I just put it in the Run dialog, without the path and it
worked. Shortcuts are a little picky, I guess :) 
>

He could put C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer in his path enviroment.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

True, but there are enough programs that like to screw with the PATH statement. :-)

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Black Baptist" <pray@the.church.com> wrote in message news:Xns965C7858ED66Bpraythechurchcom@Letuspray...
> Doug Knox MS-MVP rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>
>> You're welcome. I just put it in the Run dialog, without the path and it
> worked. Shortcuts are a little picky, I guess :) 
>>
>
> He could put C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer in his path enviroment.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:47:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Doug Knox MS-MVP rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> True, but there are enough programs that like to screw with the PATH
statement. :-)
>

Nod
!