40> fps to <125 fps on Black Ops 2?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 24, 2012 3:00:54 PM

Hello,

I am using a mid-end laptop to play Black Ops 2, these are my specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II N970 Quad Core Processor
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 6470M HD

I overclocked the GPU and Video Card by a little, and i get anywhere from 40>fps to 125 (cap). When i am in a room, it hits over 100. In maps like Slums and Overflow, the frames lag go down to 40 ~ 50 when looking far..

Is there any way to improve the frame rate?? :??:  :( 

I am also using the following specs to make a custom pc build:

CPU and Motherboard: i5-3470 & Asrock B75 Pro 3M
Ram: Kingston 1600mhz 2x4GB
ODD: LG DVD RW
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
GPU: Powercolor 7950HD PCS
Case & PSU: Sharkoon T28 & FSP Aurum 500W Gold
SSD: Intel 520 Series SSD 120GB

It have done some research and it is able to run battlefield 3 at around 60fps above, and Call of Duty at probably high settings above 60 fps? :) 

More about : fps 125 fps black ops

December 24, 2012 5:14:54 PM

The reason you get higher frame rate when in a room is because the more textures, landscapes and details there are to see on the screen, the harder the GPU has to work to show all of them and thats why the FPS dips. To improve FPS you can try lowering the texture quality and turning anti aliasing off. However I wouldn't worry about it, because the human eye cannot see over 30FPS anyway, you want to aim for 40 so that if it dips it wont dip below 30. The main reason for a card like that is to get good FPS at higher resolutions or Multi Monitor displays.
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:37:08 PM

here is the thing i read this that human eye cant see more than 30 fps but i played bf3 on ps3 with 30fps and then i played it on pc on about 80 fps average and i can feel the difference and its huge its alot smoother
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 5:38:20 PM

ur pc build is perfect i would go with the 600w psu so i can upgrade things later
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
December 24, 2012 5:44:54 PM

richi3d10 said:
However I wouldn't worry about it, because the human eye cannot see over 30FPS anyway, you want to aim for 40 so that if it dips it wont dip below 30. The main reason for a card like that is to get good FPS at higher resolutions or Multi Monitor displays.

That's a complete myth, my friend. It stemmed from old 34fps movie reels - the rough minimum number of frames a second required for the human brain to see a set of images as fluid motion.

The human eye can see WAY more than 30, 60, or 75 frames a second. Saying otherwise is simply wrong.

As a personal anecdote, I have a 120Hz monitor. When I bring my computer to a friends' house to play, we use his second 60Hz monitor for mine... and I immediately notice a HUGE difference - the game feels laggy and less responsive when compared to a 120Hz monitor.

EDIT: Here's a rough approximation. He's got a lot of facts wrong, but the images show fairly well:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2012 5:49:30 PM

DarkSable said:
The human eye can see WAY more than 30, 60, or 75 frames a second. Saying otherwise is simply wrong.

Not exactly. Both you and the 30 fps crowd are oversimplifying the topic - it depends greatly on exactly what you are measuring. Click the link I posted.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
December 24, 2012 5:53:10 PM

quilciri said:
Not exactly. Both you and the 30 fps crowd are oversimplifying the topic - it depends greatly on exactly what you are measuring. Click the link I posted.

I did, and yes, I was trying to simplify things - perhaps I could have worded it better. The human, taken as a system, can differentiate between, and notice, framerates much higher than 30 fps. Happier?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2012 5:59:01 PM

I wasn't taking issue with your claim that the human eye can notice higher framerates, just the "anything else is simply wrong" part.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
December 24, 2012 6:11:40 PM

Fair enough - but a person, on the whole, will notice a difference between 30fps and a higher number when gaming - that bit can't be denied. (And it's pretty easy to prove, too, if anyone else is curious - just play a game with a framerate cap of 60 for a good while, then turn it down to a cap of 30.)
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:06:21 PM

The is certainly a decrease in performance when the frame rate goes under 60 :( 
How about my idea gaming rig? Can i play BF3, Dota 2 or BO2 at least above 60fps?? :( 
m
l
June 25, 2013 3:36:22 PM

To the people who are saying the human eye only sees in 30fps, get your shit straight cause the human eye doesn't see stuff in "Frames Per Second". It processes light images to the mind at an equivalent rate of what gamers and other people call, fps.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
June 25, 2013 5:05:05 PM

Aanonymous Umar said:
To the people who are saying the human eye only sees in 30fps, get your shit straight cause the human eye doesn't see stuff in "Frames Per Second". It processes light images to the mind at an equivalent rate of what gamers and other people call, fps.

Way to necro by half a year...

But you are correct, we can process an image displaying at much more than 30 fps.
m
l
!