No video output after re-plugging cables

Irixa

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi,

I have a problem with my new rig: the computer starts but there is no video output and the rear fan is blowing faster than usual. This is an almost new build with these components:

- Intel i7-3770
- ASUS P8H77-V
- G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB CL11-11-11-30 (DDR3-2133)
- Fractal Design Define R3
- Seasonic X-Series Fanless 400W
- Scythe Mugen 3
- Scythe Slip Stream 120 (rear)
- Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PK-1 (top)
- Crucial m4 SSD 128GB (2 pieces)
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm
- LG DVD+RW drive
- Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

The choice of Mugen 3 and G.Skill with high heatspreaders was not perfect, so the fan of Mugen had to be put a bit higher. But I think this is unrelevant to my actual problem. Another problem that might be more relevant is that despite several tries I was (and am to date) unable to push the 24-pin power cable so deep into the motherboard that the security lock snaps into place. However, the first boot was successful anyhow.

At first the four hard drives were attached and the 24-pin power cable was pushed as far as possible. The system started just fine with POST and was very silent as expected. I then noticed that I had not attached the DVD drive. I had to disconnect the other SSD drive in order to be able to attach the DVD drive since I only had 4 SATA cables. When I now booted the system, I got no video output and the rear fan was blowing much faster. I then tried switching the positions of the SATA data cables by removing the DVD drive SATA cable from the 6 Gb/s slot previously used by the 2nd SSD and putting it into a previously unused 3 Gb/s slot. Now the system started working normally again, the rear fan was quiet and I could start installing Windows. I even installed some of my audio software on the computer and started using it. All devices, including the 16 GB RAM, were recognised just fine, the CPU temperature was also good.

After several days I noticed that I could not use the upper USB slots on the motherboard as they were partly under the I/O board. It seemed that the motherboard was bent, and the reason was that the yellowish standoff in that corner of the motherboard was somewhat loose.

To fix this, I unscrewed the motherboard and had to deattach all cables going into it and put it away for a while in order to screw the standoffs tighter. To my astonishment, some other standoffs were also somewhat loose, so I screwed them tighter too. I put back the motherboard and reattached the cables. The subsequent boot was totally unsuccessful as the motherboard cable was not attached tightly enough. After fixing that I tried again. Now I again had the problem that the computer starts but with no video output and an abnormally loud rear fan. I tried the old fix, switching SATA cable positions, switching them in various combinations to new SATA slots and then trying to restart, but to no avail. Something seems to go wrong with the start irrespective of the SATA cables (which seemed quite odd as a solution anyway).

Any idea what I should try next?

the dvd drive is supposed to be connected to the sata 2 ports (usually black) and the SSDs in the sata 3 slots (usually white)

yeah. you should have gotten cl9 1600mhz ram instead since cl11 2133 is about the same as cl9 1600mhz given cl11 is quite slow unless you throw 2400mhz into the mix.

might want to try using 1 SSD and the dvd drive on first boot then connect the other drives later on

Irixa

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Thanks for the good suggestion. I booted with 1 SSD and the DVD and it booted OK. Then I added one HDD, again fine boot. Then attached the second HDD, with the cables being attached exactly like in the beginning - again fine. I wonder what the problem was then in the first place.

I agree that I should have investigated RAM better. You mean CL11 2133 is not better than CL9 1600, just more expensive? Or is CL11 inferior to CL9 in this build?