Upgrading Graphics Card in DELL Inspiron 530

talostc

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hello, - I am running XP and plan to upgrade from NVidea 8300 with 256 to 8400 with 1 MB. Anything I need to be aware of before simply swapping the cards?

randomkid

Distinguished

If you are getting it for free, then no problem.

But if you are paying for that 8400, then don't. There is not much performance improvement to justify the purchase of the 8400. Just save a little more & you could make a more meaningful graphics card upgrade.

talostc

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Actually it is 1 GB and the additional device memory (from 256) is what I am seeking in order to drive a larger monitor. I'm currently limited to 1360x768 and assumed I would be offered different resolution options after upgrading to 1GB.

I should mention that the monitor is actually a 26 inch VIZIO HD television which is not 1080 - but the earlier version of HD (720p?) - therefore - would I be able to see resolutions above this anyway?

Also - I am concerned about losing the use of the machine due to a problem during the upgrade. I cannot afford the downtime and if there is a problem - for example - a hardware issue with the new card - is my recovery path as simple as reinserting my old card (the 8300 GS) - and restarting? I will have already removed the 83oo drivers so - how does the monitor display anything? - just trying to avoid that problem.

thanks
tc

randomkid

Distinguished
The 1GB VRAM will not make much difference. The 8400 will barely have any improvement on 1366x768 and much less in higher resolution irregardless of VRAM increase to 1GB.

The VRAM upgrade only become meaningful if the graphics card has the raw power to drive high fps in the first place. 2GB start making sense on powerful cards such as AMD 6950 & up.