Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[HELP]PC won't turn on with GPU plugged

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 9:05:44 PM

Greetings everyone! I am an old silent reader of this website who didn't have an account until now because I never had the need to because every problem of mine was solved just by reading the existing topics. I know that's kinda selfish but it's better if I don't help anyone. :D 

So last month I faced an issue with my PC and I tried my best not to create a thread about it since there are so many "[HELP]" threads made everyday and decided to go through it by myself and I almost did... until today.

Here's a little summary of what happened:-

I was as usual derping around the interwebz as all of a sudden my pc shutdown and didn't turn back on. However, when I removed my external gpu and tried turning it on using on-board graphics, it did turn on but with no visual on my monitor. I was convinced that either my powersupply, GPU or motherboard had gotten bad.

2 days later, turns out, my motherboard had gotten faulty within 6 months of purchase and had to be sent for warranty claim. It was a long wait I had to go through but at least my wallet was safe.

Today, I got my motherboard back. It got replaced and I got a new one. As soon as I finished assembling everything, I tried turning it on but it was like, lifeless; just like before. But as soon as I removed my GPU it kickstarted fine and dandy, mind you, with display.

Now it's down to my GPU and the powersupply. Here's where I need your help. Is it my GPU (Gtx 460 Calibre) which was bought just a year ago or my powersupply which was bought almost 3 - 4 years ago. But do remember it's still powering my PC just fine but without an external GPU plugged in.

More about : turn gpu plugged

a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 9:13:16 PM

It wouldn't be weird if the Video Card was fried when (I'll just assume) the PSU did something wrong and the over current kicked in. Now it's working with the 12V rail unstable (if you have a power meter, use it) or, in a best case scenario, just not giving enough juice anymore.

In the zone where you live, is the power stable? I mean, do you have outs or something of the like? Any appliances went bad around the same day your PC did?

Cheers!
a c 174 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 9:14:40 PM

We cannot answer until you tell us the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU.

At first glance, it sounds like the PSU isn't quite enough for your setup, and may have damaged the first motherboard as the load caused it to wander out of spec.
Related resources
June 18, 2012 9:24:56 PM

Yuka said:
It wouldn't be weird if the Video Card was fried when (I'll just assume) the PSU did something wrong and the over current kicked in. Now it's working with the 12V rail unstable (if you have a power meter, use it) or, in a best case scenario, just not giving enough juice anymore.

In the zone where you live, is the power stable? I mean, do you have outs or something of the like? Any appliances went bad around the same day your PC did?

Cheers!

Yeah power's pretty stable. And no, no appliances went bad that day. Is there something else that I can do if I don't have access to a power meter?

Onus said:
We cannot answer until you tell us the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU.

At first glance, it sounds like the PSU isn't quite enough for your setup, and may have damaged the first motherboard as the load caused it to wander out of spec.

Oh excuse me! Idk how I didn't mention that.

Specs:-
Intel Core i5 2400
Intel DH67CL
Kingston 4gb DDR3
Sparkle Calibre GTX460
COOLER MASTER EXTREME POWER 500W
a c 174 U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 9:41:02 PM

Oooh, a CM... http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
It's actually good for 500W, but when loaded, its +12V wanders out of spec. This could explain damaged components.
Please replace it before it kills again. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. The Antec VP-450 does not have active PFC, but is also a good PSU (it is efficient enough for 80+, but is disqualified because of the lack of Active PFC).
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 12:23:55 AM

The GTX460 has 2x6pin, so it should be maxing out around 210W (or 18A) from the 12V... So, to be sure you need a PSU with a minimum of 19A in the 12V rail just for the Video Card.

If what Onus linked is indeed true for the CM 500W, then you need to replace your PSU ASAP if you want to keep the GTX460 or replace it for something that uses less power (though I'll stick with changing the PSU, TBH).

Cheers!
June 19, 2012 1:28:35 PM

Onus said:
Oooh, a CM... http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
It's actually good for 500W, but when loaded, its +12V wanders out of spec. This could explain damaged components.
Please replace it before it kills again. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. The Antec VP-450 does not have active PFC, but is also a good PSU (it is efficient enough for 80+, but is disqualified because of the lack of Active PFC).

So can you, at any extent, confirm that if I get a better powersupply, my 460 will start working again? And that it's the powersupply gone bad and not the GPU?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 2:38:19 PM

He doesn't have a way to certify that your card isn't busted, but in either case, if you get a new Video Card that uses a lot of power, your PSU will most likely kill it in the long run again.

So, worst case scenario for you is: busted GPU and busted PSU. Best case scenario is: good GPU and good PSU. Now, in either scenario, we both suggest you change your PSU since it doesn't feed you Video Card correctly.

Cheers!
a c 174 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 11:31:12 PM

Right, I can't tell that your graphics card wasn't killed, possibly by the same out-of-spec +12V that may have killed your mobo. There's a lot of supposition in all this, but the one thing that is certain is that your PSU is near-junk and should be replaced. Whatever else died, from whatever cause, that PSU is just more death knocking at the door.
a c 174 U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 9:53:55 AM

Thermaltake has some good and bad units. That one's not 80+, so I'm not sure I'd trust it. It's not the efficiency, it's that 80Plus tests at 100% load. Even though the ambient temperature is an unrealistic 23C, junk PSUs can't produce what is on their labels and will choke, smoke, and croak under those conditions.
You're safest sticking to Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX (made by Seasonic), or Enermax/LEPA.
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 4:30:32 PM

Well, about the Thermaltakes... I'm running an old TT 430W form my Athlon X2 days with no issues on the second computer powering a 4850 plus the A8. Works like a charm and was cheap at the time.

And I got one TT ToughPower 850 busted thanks to a sudden power outage we had, but it protected my computer from harm. Got another TT ToughPower 850 as a replacement and no issues with it.

So, while my own experience could tell you it's safe to trust TT, I'd look for reviews and alternatives still. No PSU is safe from being faulty, but at least, TT has showed me they're not crap PSUs in all the price segments.

How is the Antec Earthwatts 500W cost wise to the TT you linked, wAnxTa?

Cheers!
June 27, 2012 11:29:53 AM

Best answer selected by wAnxTa.
!