Sign in with
Your question

System BSODs after Windows logo, graphics driver failure.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 9:50:21 PM

Since yesterday, I've been getting bsods on startup for my system that I built less than three weeks ago. In case it might anyone help solve my problem, here are my specs,

ASUS Sabretooth x79
Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6 ghz
EVGA GTX 670
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB @ 4x4gb
Power supply rated @ 750 watts
Windows 7 Professional x64
WD Caviar Green 2 TB

First time I saw the issue was a couple days ago, when my computer bsoded on startup when I installed the 301.42 driver from nvidia. I got this a couple of times, and tried installing the older driver, 301.25, which worked. I was using the 301.25 driver when Windows was saying that the driver crashed and could be restarted, so I didn't pay that much attention. Before my first BSOD, my screen flickered, from black then back to my desktop, and then the screen had a total removal of all red color; there was just a green/bluish tint to the entire screen, then I got my first blue screen.

The error code was 0x116 and it said that the operation that caused it was nvlddmkm.sys. When I went back to view the dump in safe mode using bluescreenview, it said that dxgkrnl.sys caused the crash, not nvlddmkm.sys.

I've tried multiple reinstalls and cleans using Driver Sweeper, both in safe mode and, with a basic VGA driver, in a full boot, but I get the exact same error each time.

Could someone point me to an answer? This crash has frustrated me incredibly and I'm going to start resorting to extreme measures I.E. kicking walls and breaking my toe. Please help!
June 18, 2012 10:03:27 PM

Suspect bad graphics card and or a bad motherboard/psu.
Can you get me a copy of your crash dumps using "Who crashed"?
Do not use driver sweeper.
Use Windows/Nvidia programs to uninstall/install.
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:22:57 PM

memadmax said:
Suspect bad graphics card and or a bad motherboard/psu.
Can you get me a copy of your crash dumps using "Who crashed"?
Do not use driver sweeper.
Use Windows/Nvidia programs to uninstall/install.

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: TRUEPOSE-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17155084288 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1965260800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 6/18/2012 10:04:11 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-25303-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x5D000)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80171764E0, 0xFFFFF8801260E0A0, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: dxgkrnl.sys Microsoft Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Mon 6/18/2012 10:04:11 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80171764E0, 0xFFFFF8801260E0A0, 0x0, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 6/18/2012 9:20:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-33306-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8017222010, 0xFFFFF880123A40A0, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 6/18/2012 5:06:52 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-25927-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8016CF8010, 0xFFFFF880125AC298, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 6/18/2012 4:08:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-26317-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80170C7010, 0xFFFFF880123AA4D4, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 6/18/2012 12:55:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-25896-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8017069010, 0xFFFFF880125DE298, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 6/18/2012 5:09:57 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-25740-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801704E010, 0xFFFFF880125A04D4, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 6/18/2012 4:54:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061712-27112-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80170A4010, 0xFFFFF880125C3298, 0x0, 0x2)

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
C:\Windows\Minidump\061812-33883-01.dmp

Conclusion

On your computer a total of 9 crash dumps have been found. Only 8 could be analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

That is what the report gives me, the weird thing is, almost all of the "after the crash" reports I've seen say that the driver causing the crash are dxgkrnl.sys, but on the blue screen itself, it says that its nvlddmkm.sys.
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:54:55 AM

Reinstall your graphics card drivers and do a repair to directX.

Get the drivers from Nvidia.com.

To repair DirectX goto Start > Click on the text box that says "search for programs and files"
Type in DxDiag.
Right click on DxDiag icon that comes up.
Click on "Run as Administrator"(this is optional I think)
When DxDiag starts, it will automatically check DirectX for any problems.
If it does find problems it will notify you, and hopefully tell you what to do next.
m
l
!