Sign in with
Your question

W2K conflicts with which sound cards??

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
August 23, 2001 8:44:38 AM

OK there are conflicts with sound cards and W2K...
I am confused as to which cards are safe... i have a cambridge 5.1 dolby 5 speaker set up... and win2k

Can people please post the cards that i should avoid?

I would love to get the philips cards but i can't find anywhere in canada to by them :( 

screw driver + metal watch + capaciter from 27 inch monitor = !!BAD!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tulpa on 08/23/01 04:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 23, 2001 10:02:44 PM

Whatever you do, don't get no crap Sound Blaster (any of their models).

There are some US resellers that ship to Canada, you just need to look a little harder.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
August 24, 2001 4:10:12 AM

There are no Win2k drivers available for the Aureal Vortex2 soundchip (AU8830) on ANY card (including Aureal's card, I/O Magik's, MX300, TB Montego II, etc.). The ones on the web are old beta drivers and were never finished. That sux because it's a great sound chip.
Too many problems with Soundblaster cards, and they don't sound so good anyway. If you want good cheap sound, I recommend an ESS chip soundcard, like the MX400 or even a generic Canyon 3D chip card (~$20). If you want high quality sound I recommend the Phillips Acoustic Edge.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!
August 27, 2001 7:11:20 AM

Personally, I would avoid the Philips cards.

I got a Philips card because the box claimed Win2k compatability.

The drivers suck - a lot of the features are disabled under Win2k. Although many people in this forum dislike it, my SB Live! Value was a better card than my Philips card uner win2k.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>
!