Sign in with
Your question

Possible faulty PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 24, 2012 5:11:18 PM

Hello

For the past two months or so I have been having some strange goings on with my computer which have gotten worse within the last week or so. I suspect it may be the power supply.

Before, the computer would fail to start up about once a week, the screen would just be black but a simply restart and it would usually boot. However now the computer fails to start 9/10 times every day, sometimes with just a black screen, and sometimes all fans within the computer go full speed and the HDD indicator lights up constantly.

Within the BIOS settings the 3.3 voltage is displayed in red, showing +2.944v, sometimes when the computer fails to start it says that a power surge has been detected and it has stopped the computer from booting to protect it.

Taking out some USB devices and turning the computer onto its side (strange I know) seems to ensure that it starts up every time, although this is a recent finding so may not be entirely true.

Once the computer has started up it appears to work fine, playing games and putting the computer under load does not seems to cause strange problems. It cut out once whilst opening a program but that’s the first time it has happened and has not occurred again. Any ideas as to what could be causing these issues?

On another possibly related note, I upgraded my graphics card from an AMD 6950 to an Nvidia 670 GTX just today, and the new card is getting extremely poor performance in all games, no matter what settings, it’s as if it is not getting enough power or the card itself may be faulty.

Specs:
MOBO: Asus p8p67 le
CPU: i5-2500k (no overclock)
GPU: Formerly AMD 6950, now 670 Gtx (both no overclock)
PSU: Corsair CX600 600w
RAM: 4x2GB Corsair 1600mhz
HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm & one 128GB SSD
Creative PCI-E sound card and a DVD RW.
All latest drivers and BIOS updates.

Apologies for the essay, any help would be great, thank you in advance.

More about : faulty psu

a b ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 6:20:37 PM

Quote:
Taking out some USB devices and turning the computer onto its side (strange I know) seems to ensure that it starts up every time, although this is a recent finding so may not be entirely true.
I'd check for either something shorting out or a connector/component that isn't fully inserted.
!