Reliable Router for Under $150.00?

yzfchet

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello,
I need a reliable router to use in wired-only home LAN environment. It could be a wireless router (these are the cheapest, apparently) but a dedicated wired-only would seem to be best. I have tried LinkSys and Belkin routers and they both have constantly dropped the modem link, requiring power-down/power-up for reset.
Can anyone recommend a decent router for under $150.00? It needs at least four (4) ethernet ports in addition to the modem port.
Thanks very much,
C. Rogers
GIlbert, Az.

yzfchet

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for replying. Why would you think it was the modem? I use a Motorola SB5101N SURFboard cable modem. Is there some test I can perform to determine which hardware is the source of the drops other than swap-and-watch?

I no longer have a price limit; if I need to spend some serious - up to $400 per unit - dough on a wired router and/or a cable modem to get reliable internet connectivity, especially while I am connecting via Nortel VPN Client and Remote Desktop to my work PC, then I'm prepared to do this.

If this forum is not the correct venue at which to acquire this information, could someone recommend the one place they would go to get definitive information regarding wired routers and cable modems?

Thanks.