Xtremeskill

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Is it a good idea to upgrade my 580 to a 670, it will only cost a few bucks but is their a better performance in the 670?

I would stick with the 580 until the end of the year when we should see new high-end cards from Nvidia. The 670's/680's will also be more mature in terms of drivers and production processes, and will therefore be a little better/more stable than the current batch. They might also be cheaper.

I would do it. They've discontinued making the 580s. although you won't get a performance upgrade, stepping up to a 670 will allow you the option of going SLI 670 as a future upgrade. if you hang on to your 580 and let the step up window expire, it'll be more costly to get a future upgrade

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yes If you go step up program I'd go with the suggestion matto gave. The GTX 670 FTW has nice clock speed out of the box, pretty much on par with a Ref 680 I believe, and is a full pcb as opposed to those cheaper looking half pcb reference 670's.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Ive just done the same thing - went from a 580 to 670 FTW and I can honestly say I have noticed a difference.

For a start I can max BF3 now and stay above 60fps, something my 580 wasnt capable of. It also allows me to use mods on Skyrim I previously couldnt. The Witcher also plays a lot smoother now.

This is an article comparing a Gainward Phantom 670 (pretty much equal with the EVGA FTW) with other cards and you can see quite large difference in frame rate on multiple titles:

http://www.techspot.com/review/529-geforce-gtx-670/