Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes Unexpectedly

Last response: in Components
December 24, 2012 6:28:45 PM

Hi everyone. So my computer has a problem of freezing randomly. This usually happens after I turn it on when it has been powered off for the night, and will typically turn on and be functional for 5-10 minutes before freezing. The screen simply freezes and if there is sound playing it will enter a loop, and the only thing I can do is turn the computer off. After I boot it back up, it will typically freeze again during the boot-up, and it takes 6-7 boot-ups for it to finally turn on. This problem has been around for some time, but it just gotten this bad recently. Since maybe about a year to 6 months ago it used to sometimes freeze after a start up, but only once in a while and it would work after I booted it back up. Any help you could give would be appreciated. And btw in the past I thought it was overheating, and took apart my computer and cleaned it thoroughly. I'm not so sure that it is anymore, I think it might be hardware related.

Here's some system specs.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name THISMACHINE
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Aurora
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware A04, 10/28/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name ThisMachine\Young Spock
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.57 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.13 GB
Page File Space 5.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
December 24, 2012 7:28:07 PM

How would I check my PSU model?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 7:50:23 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 24, 2012 9:11:56 PM

cmichael138, are you still there? I found the PSU model.

Brett928S2, I'm checking the hard drive now.
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:05:48 PM

If the HD checks out ok, try Memtest.
m
l
December 25, 2012 1:16:28 AM

Yeah I've been trying to get that working for the last hour or so. I've tried burning the program to a blank disk, but I can't seem to get it to work. It won't launch the application after I insert the disk, but I'm working on it.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just had to go into the BIOS and make the CD-ROM load before the HDD. Its loading up now.
m
l
!