Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help choosing a cheap PSU and a cheap case

Last response: in Components
Share
December 24, 2012 6:36:38 PM

I have about 200 dollars to spend on a PSU and a case for my new build. Here it is:

CPU: i5 2500k/3570k (haven't decided yet, you can post recommendations on these as well)

GPU: Nvidia 560 Ti (I already own that, not going to change it to a newer one)

Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4

From what I understand, other parts like hard and optical drive and ram are not important when choosing a PSU and a case, but for the record, I have some random 500 gb hard drive, a random optical drive and 4 gigs of ram.

What PSU and a case should I get that would fit well together? For example, If I were to choose a non-modular psu, then a big case with a lot room for cable management would be better for it, or for a modular psu - smaller case etc.

So, what do you guys recommend?

a b ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 6:58:21 PM
December 25, 2012 7:53:59 AM

It seems like people have different views on choosing a PSU. I read some opinions, that even something as low as 400-450W of a good brand would be enough, and some people saying that I need at least 750W "just to be safe". What's the general consensus here?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 8:04:01 AM

razornfs said:
It seems like people have different views on choosing a PSU. I read some opinions, that even something as low as 400-450W of a good brand would be enough, and some people saying that I need at least 750W "just to be safe". What's the general consensus here?




Well, you could get a 1000w offa ebay and it would not be enough, then proceed to blow up and take your pc with it... XD


Or you could buy a 500w from a reliable company, like corsair, seasonic, xfx, antec, etc.


750w are for people running more than 1 video card, or overclock heavily.
December 25, 2012 8:04:49 AM

razornfs said:
It seems like people have different views on choosing a PSU. I read some opinions, that even something as low as 400-450W of a good brand would be enough, and some people saying that I need at least 750W "just to be safe". What's the general consensus here?

500w from a decent brand vendor is plenty if your not planning on sli
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 8:11:46 AM

razornfs said:
I have about 200 dollars to spend on a PSU and a case for my new build. Here it is:

CPU: i5 2500k/3570k (haven't decided yet, you can post recommendations on these as well)

GPU: Nvidia 560 Ti (I already own that, not going to change it to a newer one)

Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4

From what I understand, other parts like hard and optical drive and ram are not important when choosing a PSU and a case, but for the record, I have some random 500 gb hard drive, a random optical drive and 4 gigs of ram.

What PSU and a case should I get that would fit well together? For example, If I were to choose a non-modular psu, then a big case with a lot room for cable management would be better for it, or for a modular psu - smaller case etc.

So, what do you guys recommend?


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$15 off with code EMCJHHN63

Antec 902 v3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 8:22:46 AM

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-G1 Gunmetal Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Black Trim Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have several PSU That I have acquired over the last few years, all top rated units (I do my research before purchase) and most are modular as I hate clutter lol.The rigs i own power supplies range from 550W – 850W. My main rig utilizes a Seasonic X-850 Gold that I got it early this year for 50 % off and I love it. Very quiet and handles anything I throw at it( i5-2500k @ 4.8GHZ 1.36v + 2x GTX 670 in SLI OC'D) It is one of the most (if not the most)important component of your system and should not be overlooked. Do your homework and you can insure a long and stable life.As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have an or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you are aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.These links should get you started on educating yourself about power supplies. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181
http://www.efficientpowersupplies.org/ http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_pick_righ...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322966-28-list-recomm...
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/738097-psu-revi...
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm
December 25, 2012 11:35:21 AM

Cheap out on the case all you want but the PSU on the other hand is something you are going to not want to skimp out on. I concur with all the recommendations given for a quality PSU such as ,Seasonic,XFX, PC Power & Cooling,Antec(Although the one listed not so much), Corsair except the OCZ one's listed there are better units for the money. Also make sure to pay attention to the warranty some offer 3 years verses 5 years which in my opinion is worth the extra money.


But as of now the SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold delluser1 linked to is the best value, Seasonic made gold PSU with a 7 year warranty - at that price the deal is so good I may just buy one myself so I can retire my old PCP&C so I can get my old computer up and running and install that the x650 in my current system.
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 1:48:34 PM

So OP, have we settled on the power supply? Everyone here has given you great recommendations.

- Merry Christmas to all of you :) 
December 25, 2012 3:04:32 PM

As for the case, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Coolermaster HAF 922, but for the PSU, i still have some more research to do.
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 4:14:38 PM

Anything we can do to help your research?
December 26, 2012 4:38:41 PM

I think I'm going to go with Seasonic m12ii 620w. Is that a bad choice?
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2012 5:03:12 PM

razornfs said:
I think I'm going to go with Seasonic m12ii 620w. Is that a bad choice?


No, in fact its a really nice choice. More than enough watts than you need and Seasonic is a VERY good brand. I think you will be pleased with your choice.
December 26, 2012 6:12:08 PM

Is Seaonic S12ii 520w a suitable choice?

It is not modular as m12ii, but what is the main difference there?
December 26, 2012 6:27:36 PM

They are practically the same it seems except the M series implies just that it's a modular model. Also the M12 has 2 - 12v rails instead of just one but they both offer the same 40a on the 12v rail so essentially there the same. Just have to make the choice between non-modular or modular, there both good units.
December 26, 2012 6:28:59 PM

Orlean said:
They are practically the same it seems except the M series implies just that it's a modular model. Also the M12 has 2 - 12v rails instead of just one but they both offer the same 40a on the 12v rail so essentially there the same.


Is 520w enough?
December 26, 2012 7:12:15 PM

eliu1234 said:
Is 520w enough?



Is 520w enough for what ? I don't see any specs listed.
December 26, 2012 7:15:32 PM

Orlean said:
Is 520w enough for what ? I don't see any specs listed.


Sorry about that

Right now my specs are as follow:
i5-3470
nvidia gtx 660(maybe 660ti)
gigabyte b75
intel 330 ssd
wd western blue 1tb
December 26, 2012 7:21:35 PM

That 520w unit is plenty for your needs.
December 26, 2012 7:46:24 PM

Orlean said:
That 520w unit is plenty for your needs.



When would you need a higher watts psu? Since there are a lot more really higher ones out there.
December 26, 2012 7:49:58 PM

When you are going to do multiGPU configurations.
!