G

I´ve had my mitsumi cr2801TE about 2 and a half years now, burning an average of 1-2 cd´s a week I think.

I´ve had my small share of buffert under-runs, but always far between, and besides the burner to be so slow (2x) I´ve always felt it´s done what it´s was supposed to do.

But now suddenly that has changed. A couple of weeks ago the drive started to refuse to rip some Audio-cd´s, also refused to read some old mp3 disc that he had burned himself (and no they were not crappy no names but MAXELL brand). And now just today he just hangs in either the TEST-BURN or in BURN process depending if I chose to test the process or not.

So I guess what I wanna ask is, is my burner getting to old, how long should they last, and is there any chance that this is not the cd-recorders fault at all?

I´ve tested to burn with both Adaptec 4 and NERO 5.5.
Adaptec 4 has never ever done this before to me, but NERO 5.5 is pretty new for me but I have succesfully made at least one cd-r with it last weak (uhh, my memory)

thanks for any help and info
/Tompa

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's probably dirty but could also be worn out. Rather than simply using a cleaner CD I recommend taking the cover off, blowing the dust out, and cleaning the lenses VERY GENTLY with an alcohol soaked cotton swab.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

Thanks for the reply, however, opening the cd-r and cleaning it manually is some steps ABOVE my capacity ;-)

Of all people my younger brother had a possible solution, and indeed it worked:

According to him he had not burned succesfully with Nero 5.5 either, only 5.0 that we had before, that´s what I mixed up, I kinda though they were the same or something.

So he guessed 5.5 messed up some *.dll´s or something, so I uninstalled 5.5 and put 5.0 in again. Viola - it now seems to work again.

Maybe some guys can make a note of this, old (mitsumi!?) cd-r drives might not work with Nero 5.5.

TRENDING THREADS