Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I have room to upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2012 2:15:13 AM

I'm running an EVGA E758 (x58), Intel 620 and 6G of RAM. Currently I have a Sapphire 4890 1G and I'm wondering how do I tell how much headroom I have for a new GPU. I'm not looking at the top of the line. The Sapphire 2G 6950 or a 560Ti have my interest.

According to the manual I'm at PCI 2.0.

I have a Corsair 850W PSU so I'm good on power.

This is obviously for gaming. Mostly FPS types and the upcoming MWOnline.

Thanks for your time.

More about : room upgrade

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 2:26:38 AM

I'm assuming you are talking about the socket 1155 intel g620 cpu.
your cpu will bottleneck the gpu quite a bit so I wouldn't get anything above a gtx560 ti..
if you want to go amd, then get the hd6850/6870. Anything higher than those gpu will be a waste.

There will be bottlenecks either way but your overall gaming experience will improve a lot.
Related resources
a c 209 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 3:53:39 AM

Tom's built a budget gamer with less CPU than you have... G530. It performed nicely with a GTX 550ti.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you...

So I would go for the GTX 560ti. What difference does a little bottle-neck matter if the performance improves.
June 19, 2012 11:30:51 AM

shamsmu said:
I'm assuming you are talking about the socket 1155 intel g620 cpu.
your cpu will bottleneck the gpu quite a bit so I wouldn't get anything above a gtx560 ti..
if you want to go amd, then get the hd6850/6870. Anything higher than those gpu will be a waste.

There will be bottlenecks either way but your overall gaming experience will improve a lot.

Oh dear. Sorry I hadn't realized the 620 was used in another line. I built this in late 09, it might be a little older than you think.

It's the LGA1366 @ 2.66Ghz
a c 209 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 3:13:55 PM

tombodet87 said:
Oh dear. Sorry I hadn't realized the 620 was used in another line. I built this in late 09, it might be a little older than you think.

It's the LGA1366 @ 2.66Ghz

Core i5-750 perhaps: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-7...
If so, it will handle most any card you want to pair up with it.
June 19, 2012 3:39:25 PM

clutchc said:
Core i5-750 perhaps: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-7...
If so, it will handle most any card you want to pair up with it.

Sorry clutch I think you're misunderstanding.

shamsmu asked if I was using the 1155 socket intel. I was trying to correct him in that the board I have is 1366.

I'm not looking for a new CPU or mobo. I'm trying to figure out with the i7 1366 2.66Ghz board I have now, what video card (or how do I tell what video card) will be bottlenecking.

I'm just trying to see at what point am I wasting money. If there's no decent gain over the 4890 I have now then it's not worth it to upgrade just the video and I'll wait a little longer to rebuild the whole system. If I can spend $150 - $200 now and maybe get another year or two out of what I have now then I'll consider it.
a c 209 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:39:19 PM

tombodet87 said:
Sorry clutch I think you're misunderstanding.

shamsmu asked if I was using the 1155 socket intel. I was trying to correct him in that the board I have is 1366.

I'm not looking for a new CPU or mobo. I'm trying to figure out with the i7 1366 2.66Ghz board I have now, what video card (or how do I tell what video card) will be bottlenecking.

I'm just trying to see at what point am I wasting money. If there's no decent gain over the 4890 I have now then it's not worth it to upgrade just the video and I'll wait a little longer to rebuild the whole system. If I can spend $150 - $200 now and maybe get another year or two out of what I have now then I'll consider it.

You're right. I am confused. I knew you were asking about the card, not the processor.
But, You said you have a LGA 1366 socketed board. But then said you had a Intel 620 processor (G620), which is a 1155 socket processor. That's why I was asking if you maybe had the i5-750 processor because it is a 1366 socket processor @ 2.67GHZ.
Do we know which processor you actually have?
June 19, 2012 7:19:14 PM

clutchc said:
You're right. I am confused. I knew you were asking about the card, not the processor.
But, You said you have a LGA 1366 socketed board. But then said you had a Intel 620 processor (G620), which is a 1155 socket processor. That's why I was asking if you maybe had the i5-750 processor because it is a 1366 socket processor @ 2.67GHZ.
Do we know which processor you actually have?

Damn I probably transposed that number. I'm pretty sure it's a *20, just can't recall the first digit. Doing some searches, it's probably a 920. I'll dig the box up tonight but I'm 100% positive it's a 1366 socket.
a c 209 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:28:42 PM

tombodet87 said:
Damn I probably transposed that number. I'm pretty sure it's a *20, just can't recall the first digit. Doing some searches, it's probably a 920. I'll dig the box up tonight but I'm 100% positive it's a 1366 socket.

OK. I get it now. We now know you aren't using a G620 processor. That was why I and shamsmu were commenting on the bottle-necking. But if you have a more powerful CPU, then the bottle-necking is not an issue.
June 19, 2012 8:50:03 PM

clutchc said:
OK. I get it now. We now know you aren't using a G620 processor. That was why I and shamsmu were commenting on the bottle-necking. But if you have a more powerful CPU, then the bottle-necking is not an issue.

OK confirmed it's an i7 920.

I gather from what you're saying, I can put just about anything I want in and get a boost out of it yes? Obviously I'm limited to PCI 2.0 throughput but am not sure that means I can't get something using 3.0 or again is that money wasted?

I picked that one Sapphire card as in my experience they've been a little quieter than others. I actually returned an ASUS for the one I have now and it was night and day at load. Jet engine vs. almost nothing. That's also why I've been leaning AMD; the 560 and even 570 seem to be hotter and therefore louder but that's just based on review reading.

Best solution

a c 209 U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 9:29:53 PM

tombodet87 said:
OK confirmed it's an i7 920.

I gather from what you're saying, I can put just about anything I want in and get a boost out of it yes? Obviously I'm limited to PCI 2.0 throughput but am not sure that means I can't get something using 3.0 or again is that money wasted?

I picked that one Sapphire card as in my experience they've been a little quieter than others. I actually returned an ASUS for the one I have now and it was night and day at load. Jet engine vs. almost nothing. That's also why I've been leaning AMD; the 560 and even 570 seem to be hotter and therefore louder but that's just based on review reading.

With the i7-920, that motherboard, and your 850W PSU, you can choose any graphic card you want. Bottle-necking won't be an issue and there is plenty of power available from the PSU.
PCIe is backward compatible, so don't worry about that. The throughput of current cards don't saturate even the PCIe 2.0 interface. I like Sapphire too, when it comes to AMD cards. Good company.
June 20, 2012 1:42:35 AM

Best answer selected by tombodet87.
!