SSD Trim not working on deleted Hibernate file??

dayoldy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Just recently built a workstation with a new 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD as a boot drive. Not long after installing Windows 7 Pro and Adobe CS5 suite, I noticed that my available disk space had shrivelled up. Something was hogging 48GB! I went down the list of system items that could be hogging the space invisibly and determined it to be the Hibernate file (I have 64GB of RAM so .75% of that is about right).

In "Power Options", I changed the setting for "Allow Hybrid Sleep" to "Off" and "Hibernate after" to "Never", and then verified that "Hibernate" appeared as new selectable option within the Shutdown menu (it wasn't there before). Even after a restart the available space remained the same!

I downloaded SpaceSniffer, which immediately showed a relatively huge 47.9GB white rectangle labelled... "Hyberfil.sys". GACK! And the mousover tool tip correctly displayed the time that the Hibernate was created and even the time I had just disabled it, as the "modified" date/time.

So I'm assuming that either the Hibernate file remains, some remnant of it remains somewhere in the system (Registry?) that is fooling Trim, there's a system permissions issue, or the Trim hasn't done it's job correctly to re-allocate it as empty space. Any ideas?

Solution
I think the issue is that the hibernate file is still there....you need to disable hibernate in command prompt to get rid of it...

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

here is a ssd tweak guide about half way down the page is the instructions on how to disable hibernate from command prompt...also take a look at what else the how to says there is some good tweaks for windows you should have done right away

drums101

Distinguished
I think the issue is that the hibernate file is still there....you need to disable hibernate in command prompt to get rid of it...

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

here is a ssd tweak guide about half way down the page is the instructions on how to disable hibernate from command prompt...also take a look at what else the how to says there is some good tweaks for windows you should have done right away

Solution

dayoldy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

drums101
Thanks so much for the quick and accurate reply! I hopped on that trusty old ol' command promt while SpaceSniffer was open... and I watched the big nastee "Hiber-box" disappear before my very eyes. What a liberating sight! I'm back to cruisin'. :sol:

And the SSD tips look downright esoteric almost... not the usual fluff we see floatin around the typical tech blog site. There are several I've not heard of. So double thanks!