potion recipe: Flask of Supreme Power

Won the roll on this alchemy recipe the other night in Scholo, and am
wondering what to do with it- let my lvl 300 herbalist/alchemist learn
it and try to sell the the potions? Or auction it at the AH?

The recipe requires 30(!) Dreamfoil, 10 Mountain Silversage, and a
Black Lotus, to create just one potion- but it provides the user with
up to 150(!!!) extra damage on each magical spell cast, for 2 hours. I
don't have a high level mage or other offensive caster, but I imagine
that kind of buff is something that would be extremely welcome to
a lvl 60 caster doing Onyxia, Molten Core, etc... perhaps welcome
enough to pay a handsome price for either the potions or the recipe.

My lvl 60 huntress is a 300 herb/alch, and it wouldn't be too difficult
for her to collect those ingredients in the process of grinding around
in the Plaguelands, Un'goro, Winterspring, etc... but it would still take
a significant amount of time and effort, to be able to make one potion.
The ingredients required for one potion currently go for about 25g on
my server- not counting the Black Lotus, which is soulbound when you
pick it, and thus cannot be traded. So I'd have to be able to sell the
potions for around 35g, to make up for materials and a fair reimburse-
ment for the lengthy and tedious collection process... or I could just
buy the mats at AH, and sell the potion for 30g, mayhap. What I am
really wondering, though, is if anybody would PAY that much for one
of these potions?

That's a lot of gold, just for a one-shot potion that lasts for two hours,
even if it is a rather uber brew... would any of you rich, high-end mage-
types pay that much for it? If not, I'd just sell the recipe for what I can
get, and forget about it- I just don't want to 'learn' the recipe with my
alch, just to find out too late that there's no reasonable market for the
potions.

Which brings me to my last question- if you got this recipe in a drop,
and wanted to auction it, what do you think a fair asking price would be?
I've never seen either the potions or the recipe in the AH before, so I
have no idea what either might be worth. Anybody here more familiar
with what either the potions or the recipe are going for, on any servers?
TIA...
-Marshall

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Won the roll on this alchemy recipe the other night in Scholo, and am
> wondering what to do with it- let my lvl 300 herbalist/alchemist learn
> it and try to sell the the potions? Or auction it at the AH?

IMO flasks are not for individual use, but for guilds. If a guild needs a
little more power to take down the big boss mob then they take their
resident alchemist, *give* them all the ingredients needed (except for the
black lotus) and escort the alchemist to the scholo alchemy lab. Then the
alchemist gives the flask to the main tank or whoever is going to use it on
the raid.

"Adam Russell" <adamrussell@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote in message

> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Won the roll on this alchemy recipe the other night in Scholo, and am
>> wondering what to do with it- let my lvl 300 herbalist/alchemist learn
>> it and try to sell the the potions? Or auction it at the AH?
>
> IMO flasks are not for individual use, but for guilds. If a guild needs a
> little more power to take down the big boss mob then they take their resident
> alchemist, *give* them all the ingredients needed (except for the black lotus)
> and escort the alchemist to the scholo alchemy lab. Then the alchemist gives
> the flask to the main tank or whoever is going to use it on the raid.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would my lvl 60 hunter alchemist need to be
escorted to the Scholomance alchemy lab (wherever the heck in there that
may be), to create this potion? She could make it anywhere on the planet,
store it in her pack as long as I want, and give it to whomever I want, any-
time I want. Fail to see where this Scholo alchemy lab comes into the picture...
-Marshall

Since no one seems to answer the question .... they always get off on some
tangent......

I am a 300 alch. / herb.

I would sell it in the AH. I think the ingredient list is excessive. I
would never buy such a potion for 30-35 gp. I would never try to make it.
It's stupid and unbalanced. Having the ability to make it is just a bragging
thing.

Sell it for some extreme funds....Let some other mook screw the pooch
getting the materials and try to get 35 gp for a 2 hour rush.

My opinion.

>> Since no one seems to answer the question .... they always get off on some
>> tangent......

>> I am a 300 alch. / herb.

>> I would sell it in the AH. I think the ingredient list is excessive. I
>> would never buy such a potion for 30-35 gp. I would never try to make it.
>> It's stupid and unbalanced. Having the ability to make it is just a bragging
>> thing.

>> Sell it for some extreme funds....Let some other mook screw the pooch
>> getting the materials and try to get 35 gp for a 2 hour rush.

>Sell on the AH at a buyout of ~100GP. The only place to even make the
>flasks is inside Stat anyway so unless you're in a guild who loves doing
>Start runs on a regular basis and has the resources to get all those
>ingredients to make the flask I would say it's not worth it.

I agree. It sounds lovely it is too much hassle. Plus if it was me,
after getting all the ingredients and making the thing I would die five
minutes after using it. >.<

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Won the roll on this alchemy recipe the other night in Scholo, and am
> wondering what to do with it- let my lvl 300 herbalist/alchemist learn
> it and try to sell the the potions? Or auction it at the AH?

You don't really want that do you... send it to Ossian. :)
I got a flask recipe recently. All but one guy passed on it assuming we'd
sort out who was Alchemy and could roll... but someone rolled for their
"alt", it was eventually calmly sorted out and I was lucky enough to win it.
I can't remember the name of the recipe but it increases mana by 2000 for 1
or 2 hours. I read it immediately.

<snip>
> What I am
> really wondering, though, is if anybody would PAY that much for one
> of these potions?

I've only ever seen two Black Lotus' and with everyone now doing Herbalism
the high herbs are getting harder and harder to find. As far as selling, I
don't see a problem, there are heaps of level 60 players that have their
elite mount and nothing else to spend gold on apart from wine and women.

> That's a lot of gold, just for a one-shot potion that lasts for two hours,
> even if it is a rather uber brew... would any of you rich, high-end mage-
> types pay that much for it? If not, I'd just sell the recipe for what I
> can
> get, and forget about it- I just don't want to 'learn' the recipe with my
> alch, just to find out too late that there's no reasonable market for the
> potions.

I never think about market value (to my detriment sometimes), I usually
think "cool, I may use that someday". :D

cheers,
Stuart.

"3phAse" <3phAse@elektrickery.com> wrote in message
> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Won the roll on this alchemy recipe the other night in Scholo, and am
>> wondering what to do with it- let my lvl 300 herbalist/alchemist learn
>> it and try to sell the the potions? Or auction it at the AH?
>
> You don't really want that do you... send it to Ossian. :)

Ossian who? There used to be somebody with a char by that name,
in our guild... been so long since we've seen 'im, though, that we're
not sure now... maybe it was just a hallucination ;-)

Thanks for the advice, still researching it though.
-Marshall

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:40:33 GMT, "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com>
wrote:

>"Adam Russell" <adamrussell@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Won the roll on this alchemy recipe the other night in Scholo, and am
>>> wondering what to do with it- let my lvl 300 herbalist/alchemist learn
>>> it and try to sell the the potions? Or auction it at the AH?
>>
>> IMO flasks are not for individual use, but for guilds. If a guild needs a
>> little more power to take down the big boss mob then they take their resident
>> alchemist, *give* them all the ingredients needed (except for the black lotus)
>> and escort the alchemist to the scholo alchemy lab. Then the alchemist gives
>> the flask to the main tank or whoever is going to use it on the raid.
>
>Pardon my ignorance, but why would my lvl 60 hunter alchemist need to be
>escorted to the Scholomance alchemy lab (wherever the heck in there that
>may be), to create this potion? She could make it anywhere on the planet,
>store it in her pack as long as I want, and give it to whomever I want, any-
>time I want. Fail to see where this Scholo alchemy lab comes into the picture...

Very simple, all "Flask of ..." recipies (there are five) has a small
"Requires: Alchemy Lab" tacked on.
This "Alchemy Lab" is the lab in Ras Frostwhispers room in Scholomance
- a place you will need at least a five man group to get to.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Lumpy left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Since no one seems to answer the question .... they always get off on some
> tangent......
>
> I am a 300 alch. / herb.
>
> I would sell it in the AH. I think the ingredient list is excessive. I
> would never buy such a potion for 30-35 gp. I would never try to make it.
> It's stupid and unbalanced. Having the ability to make it is just a bragging
> thing.
>
> Sell it for some extreme funds....Let some other mook screw the pooch
> getting the materials and try to get 35 gp for a 2 hour rush.

IMO;

Sell on the AH at a buyout of ~100GP. The only place to even make the
flasks is inside Stat anyway so unless you're in a guild who loves doing
Start runs on a regular basis and has the resources to get all those
ingredients to make the flask I would say it's not worth it.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

In article <MPG.1d486a3f1f9871a989bc4@nntp.dsl.pipex.com>, no@thanks.com
says...
> Lumpy left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > Since no one seems to answer the question .... they always get off on some
> > tangent......
> >
> > I am a 300 alch. / herb.
> >
> > I would sell it in the AH. I think the ingredient list is excessive. I
> > would never buy such a potion for 30-35 gp. I would never try to make it.
> > It's stupid and unbalanced. Having the ability to make it is just a bragging
> > thing.
> >
> > Sell it for some extreme funds....Let some other mook screw the pooch
> > getting the materials and try to get 35 gp for a 2 hour rush.
>
> IMO;
>
> Sell on the AH at a buyout of ~100GP. The only place to even make the
> flasks is inside Stat anyway so unless you're in a guild who loves doing
> Start runs on a regular basis and has the resources to get all those
> ingredients to make the flask I would say it's not worth it.

It's in Scholomance, not Stratholme and on our server those recipes are
always listed with a 300g buyout. I've only ever seen 2 of them drop and
I've done a TON of high end instance runs.

--
Rob Berryhill

Marshall wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but why would my lvl 60 hunter alchemist need to be
> escorted to the Scholomance alchemy lab (wherever the heck in there that
> may be), to create this potion? She could make it anywhere on the planet,
> store it in her pack as long as I want, and give it to whomever I want, any-
> time I want. Fail to see where this Scholo alchemy lab comes into the picture...

Because you CAN'T make flasks anywhere on the planet, only in the
Scholomance alchemy lab.

Cheers!
David...

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
> Marshall wrote:
>> Pardon my ignorance, but why would my lvl 60 hunter alchemist need to be
>> escorted to the Scholomance alchemy lab (wherever the heck in there that
>> may be), to create this potion? She could make it anywhere on the planet,
>> store it in her pack as long as I want, and give it to whomever I want, any-
>> time I want. Fail to see where this Scholo alchemy lab comes into the
>> picture...
>
> Because you CAN'T make flasks anywhere on the planet, only in the Scholomance
> alchemy lab.

LOL! Ahah! Sad that it doesn't say that ANYWHERE on the recipe itself,
at least not in its current unread state. Slimy bastards! ;-)
-Marshall

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:10:28 -0500, Rob Berryhill
<rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It's in Scholomance, not Stratholme and on our server those recipes are
>always listed with a 300g buyout. I've only ever seen 2 of them drop and
>I've done a TON of high end instance runs.

Yep, Scholomance.

I have looked on Thottbot, and it seems that "Recipe: Flask of Supreme
Power" can only drop from Ras Frostwhisper. There are 5 flask potions
total, and according to Thott, and free from memory, three of the
others drop from Darkmaster Gandling, Baron Rivendare, and Balzznare
(or whatever he is called, Strat scarlet side boss), with the last one
being more or less a world drop?

So they must be a bit of a rare drop.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:10:28 -0500, Rob Berryhill
> <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It's in Scholomance, not Stratholme and on our server those recipes are
>>always listed with a 300g buyout. I've only ever seen 2 of them drop and
>>I've done a TON of high end instance runs.
>
> Yep, Scholomance.
>
> I have looked on Thottbot, and it seems that "Recipe: Flask of Supreme
> Power" can only drop from Ras Frostwhisper. There are 5 flask potions
> total, and according to Thott, and free from memory, three of the
> others drop from Darkmaster Gandling, Baron Rivendare, and Balzznare
> (or whatever he is called, Strat scarlet side boss), with the last one
> being more or less a world drop?
>
> So they must be a bit of a rare drop.

Yeah, it came from Ras, IIRC. Funny thing was, it was my first ever
visit to Scholomance! Guess I used up a few months worth of luck
in that place, eh?
-Marshall

Rob Berryhill left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > Sell on the AH at a buyout of ~100GP. The only place to even make the
> > flasks is inside Stat anyway so unless you're in a guild who loves doing
> > Start runs on a regular basis and has the resources to get all those
> > ingredients to make the flask I would say it's not worth it.
> >

> It's in Scholomance, not Stratholme and on our server those recipes are
> always listed with a 300g buyout. I've only ever seen 2 of them drop and
> I've done a TON of high end instance runs.

Oops, you are correct - it's the lab in Scholomance. Regarding the
buyout price you could just auction it with no buyout - then you are
guaranteed to see the best price at the time of auctioning.

I suspect the 'need' to have a buyout when selling bundles of trade
goods doesn't carry over when we are talking about very rare items.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 58 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 21 Undead Warlock
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
Wartorn - lvl 16 Tauren Warrior
Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

Marshall <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote:
> That's a lot of gold, just for a one-shot potion that lasts for two hours,
> even if it is a rather uber brew... would any of you rich, high-end mage-
> types pay that much for it?

Is this only for drinking or are there other recipes that need that
potion as an ingredient? (Like the elixier of demonslaying for the
demonslayer enchantment)

Personally, I would drink it. Most likely I'll do more damage than I
expect, get the aggro and die 5 minutes after drinking...

--
Erick

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Rob Berryhill left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
>> > Sell on the AH at a buyout of ~100GP. The only place to even make the
>> > flasks is inside Stat anyway so unless you're in a guild who loves doing
>> > Start runs on a regular basis and has the resources to get all those
>> > ingredients to make the flask I would say it's not worth it.
>> >

>> It's in Scholomance, not Stratholme and on our server those recipes are
>> always listed with a 300g buyout. I've only ever seen 2 of them drop and
>> I've done a TON of high end instance runs.
>
> Oops, you are correct - it's the lab in Scholomance. Regarding the
> buyout price you could just auction it with no buyout - then you are
> guaranteed to see the best price at the time of auctioning.
>
> I suspect the 'need' to have a buyout when selling bundles of trade
> goods doesn't carry over when we are talking about very rare items.

Yes, but then you run the risk of missing the "I've got a shitload of
money, I want that item, I want it now, and I don't want to have to
be in the AH for several hours fighting a bidding war on it so I'm
willing to pay a rather high buyout price for it" market. There are
more than a few players who make up that market, so omitting a
hefty buyout price is foolish business, IMO.
-Marshall

In article <ozSDe.1611$Uk3.1388@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote:

> "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

> >> It's in Scholomance, not Stratholme and on our server those recipes are
> >> always listed with a 300g buyout. I've only ever seen 2 of them drop and
> >> I've done a TON of high end instance runs.
> >
> > Oops, you are correct - it's the lab in Scholomance. Regarding the
> > buyout price you could just auction it with no buyout - then you are
> > guaranteed to see the best price at the time of auctioning.
> >
> > I suspect the 'need' to have a buyout when selling bundles of trade
> > goods doesn't carry over when we are talking about very rare items.
>
> Yes, but then you run the risk of missing the "I've got a shitload of
> money, I want that item, I want it now, and I don't want to have to
> be in the AH for several hours fighting a bidding war on it so I'm
> willing to pay a rather high buyout price for it" market. There are
> more than a few players who make up that market, so omitting a
> hefty buyout price is foolish business, IMO.
> -Marshall

I'd really like to see the next WoW patch put in an ebay-style bidding
mechanism to replace the braindead one we have now. E.g. you see an
item for 3g current bid, 80g buyout, and you're willing to pay up to 25g
for it, you just submit "25g" and the AH should auto-increment your bids
in reaction to the competing bids. This would eliminate the need to
constantly re-visit the AH, camp out in there for hours at a time, or
sign in repeatedly all day, or pay the absurd buyout price.

And given that some people are going to be signed in much longer for
this reason, and that Blizzard would like to lighten the server load a
bit from obsessive players (hence the rested bonus), it would seem to be
in Blizzard's interest to implement such a system. Also, given the AH's
legendary lag (db overload I assume), the new bidding system would help
that as well by obviating the need to sit at a bidding window endlessly
or re-visiting multiple times, increasing that AH load.

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (51), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

I agree, setting a maximum price that you're willing to pay would be a
much better way of conducting auctions. It might help reduce some of the
lag generated by auction-zombies as a bonus.

"Erick Pelden" <epelden@excite.com> wrote in message
> Marshall <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote:
>> That's a lot of gold, just for a one-shot potion that lasts for two hours,
>> even if it is a rather uber brew... would any of you rich, high-end mage-
>> types pay that much for it?
>
> Is this only for drinking or are there other recipes that need that
> potion as an ingredient? (Like the elixier of demonslaying for the
> demonslayer enchantment)
>
> Personally, I would drink it. Most likely I'll do more damage than I
> expect, get the aggro and die 5 minutes after drinking...

LOL, yeah, that possibility crossed my mind, too... such a buff could
be too dangerous to the imbiber, if it drew all the aggro to you all
the time...
-Marshall

Marshall <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Personally, I would drink it. Most likely I'll do more damage than I

...would NOT... I wanted to write... oh well, too late...

--
Erick