G

are SCSI CDRW still better than their IDE counterpart?
If the SCSI CDRW like Yamaha 2100 syas Ultra SCSI(SCSI-3) interface, would my old ISA Fast SCSI still work with this new CDRW? My SCSI card is an Adaptec 1520B ISA.
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fast SCSI supports up to 66x CD rate transfers, so any current CDRW should be fine with it. SCSI still has more cosistant data rate, while the newest IDE drives include Buffer Underrun Protection, which is not usually needed with a SCSI drive do to the consistant transfer.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I have a Yamaha 2100 Ultra SCSI(SCSI-3) 16x10x40 and it is connected to my adaptec 2940u2w controller. It seems to be extremely slow. When transfering data between a cd and the hard drive my 16x toshiba ide dvd drive is faster. Also when burning cd's at 16x it's barely faster than my friends hp 4x4x24. It burns fast it just takes forever to prepare data. Could this possibly be a problem with my hard drive? I didn't think so because my transfer rate with my dvd drive isn't bad. Is there any free software that I could use to test my transfer rates? My hdd is an ibm 36.7 ultra scsi hooked up to my tyan k7 thunder onboard scsi. If you need more info please let me know. I was using adaptec 4 and my os is 2000 prof. Thanks

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Have you tried with different software? (BTW which is your burning SW?)
To test transfer rates you could use a litlle app known as CD Speed.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by arbee on 08/27/01 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I can copy cd to cd only at 4x speed. I'm wondering if it isn't my 2940 card. My onboard is ultra scsi(3) and my burner is alson ultra scsi but the burner has an 80pin connector and my board has a 68pin. Should I get another twisted cable and an adapter? Right now it is just a straight cable with no twist that came with the adapter card.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
The thing is though that just copying data from a cd to my hard drive also takes a while. I'm going to install the latest win2k updates from adaptec and flash my cards bios and see if that doesn't fix it I'll keep you posted.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've used an Adaptec 2940 and an Adaptec 2940UW without problems. Make sure you have the last device terminated or an active terminator on the cable. And make sure you have DMA enabled for your IDE devices.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Well I applied the windows 2000 Patch and now it will copy a cd at 14x so I guess it's working faster. I'm using nero now instead of adaptec. I like it better I just couldn't find my disk last time.