I have just set up my new "gaming" pc:
- i5-3570k
- Gigabyte GTX 660
- Gigabyte Z77X-UD3h
- PSU: Corsair GS 700
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB
- WD Black Cav. 2TB
etc.

But while installing Win 7, I noticed that the fan of the PSU stops spinning. In fact, it is more stopped that running. It may have ran a couple of time in the past 4 hours. The PSU unit is farily warm. Meanwhile I have two 200mm and one 120mm fans running.

While booting, I didn't enter BIOS. I went straight to boot off the Win DVD.

Does this have something to do with the PSU or do I have to tweak something in the BIOS?

Thank you.

socialfox

Distinguished
Greetings Friend,

I don't know for sure but I believe that model may have the same type of fan that other Corsair power supply fans do. If so then when the computer is at load it should start spinning. That being said, it starts to spin when it reaches a certain load or temperature.

I would make sure the fan at least spins a bit when you start up the computer and then run something like prime95 or anything that stresses the computer like a good game. It should start spinning when playing a game for quite a while or using prime 95.

- Happy Holidays :)

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Happy holidays to you too! I have read what you said somewhere else too, but I can't seem to find any indication about that for GS700....which I could!

socialfox

Distinguished

By indication did you mean about the automatic fan control? It's in the link posted by cball1311, it states "A good gaming power supply must provide the cooling you need when you're pushing it hard, but it should be quiet when you're not. GS Series PSUs accomplish this through excellent efficiency — it generates less heat, so it requires less cooling — and a temperature-controlled 140mm fan that automatically adjusts its speed to meet demand. It doesn't even spin up until it's needed."

socialfox

Distinguished

Hey no problem friend, in fact, I should be thanking you for the link. I may not have even looked up the link to confirm. You should be the one the OP should be thankful for as well. :)

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Yes. Thanks to cball1311, I realized that. You know, it's just a matter of peace of mind. You pay $1500 for a system and put it together and suddenly realize something small isn't functioning. But I think I will give it a try and run a kick a** game on high settings and see what happens!