Crossfire Sapphire HD7770 Vapor-X

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceor

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Is crossfiring Sapphire HD7770 Vapor-X a good choice?
Is there any other card about the same price as Sapphire HD7770 Vapor-X and is better?
How much watts does crossfiring these two cards require?
I have a Intel DX58SO Motherboard, I'm wondering if my video cards would fit when I crossfire them.

My current setup is

CPU : Corei-7 920
VGA : Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X (Upgrading this to two HD7770 Vapor-X)
MB : Intel DX58SO
PSU :Thermaltake Lite 600w (I'm going to buy a CoolerMaster GX750W)
RAM : 8GB DDR3

What do you guys think?

Solution

Too bad. :(

Good enough for 2 cards with 1x6PIN PCIe connector only. Agree with others that Cooler Master is not a better replacement for your current thermaltake. I have more faith in Corsair TX650 than the 750W cooler master.

randomkid

Distinguished
If you already have one 7770 & want to upgrade, a 2nd one is good option for CF.

But if you are planning to buy new, better get a single graphics card that is more powerful like the 7850. While the 7770 have good crossfire scaling & may beat the 7850 in terms of performance, it might be susceptible to micro stuttering so please look into that as well.

The 7770 probably doesn't have micro-stuttering problems with the Catalyst 12.6 driver, even in CF, but I can't confirm that. Most info that you find from looking it up (if not all) will use older drivers and oftentimes improperly installed drivers and such, so a lot of it probably won't be relevant. Make sure that what you read about this specifically states that they used Catalyst 12.6 and not some other driver version.

However, 1GB of VRAM per GPU isn't very much and would probably be a more likely problem for you, so the 7850 recommendation is still a good one.

lanceor

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

My budget can't go up to the price of 7850, actually I'm gonna buy 1 card first then after 2 weeks the my uncle is buying me one for free, thats why.

A single screen can use far more than 1GB if it's 1080p or above. That it is one screen does not matter. Heck, a single 2560x1600 screen can easily break 1GB and in many cases, even 1.5GB is not enough. Beyond that, don't forget future-proofing. Even for 1080p, 1GB is not enough in many situations anymore. With two 7770s at 1080p, you'd have to raise the AA and such to make use of their very high performance and at that point, 1GB would not be enough. Even 1.25GB like the GTX 570 would probably not be enough. With future-proofing in mind, 2GB should suffice for many years to come for their performance level.

randomkid

Distinguished

If you are close enough to him, perhaps you can sway him to give the cash instead? ;) or ask him to get a 7850 & swear to pay the difference. I'm sure two weeks wait is worth it.

Otherwise, it is a good deal as any.

lanceor

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Guess I failed to convince him to get the more expensive one to buy haha!

Anyway, i wanna know if 600w is good enough for crossfiring 2 cards?

That would depend on the cards and the exact PSU. Not all PSUs hit their rated wattage when new and as they age, PSUs degrade, so older PSUs usually can't hit their rated wattage reliably and get farther and farther with continued wear. The closer it gets to its rated maximums consistently, the more it is wearing out and the faster it will degrade. A new, quality 500w shouldn't have any trouble with two 7770s in CF, so pretty much any 600w PSU should be fine, although if it's too old, then it might have insufficient power delivery if it can't at least hit around 200-300w on the 12v rail(s) and good enough on the other rails.

Whether or not it is reliable enough to not fail for other reasons is a whole other topic to consider too. Thermaltake is not the most reliable brand, but it should be fine. However, I make no guarantees in that.

randomkid

Distinguished

Too bad. :(

Good enough for 2 cards with 1x6PIN PCIe connector only. Agree with others that Cooler Master is not a better replacement for your current thermaltake. I have more faith in Corsair TX650 than the 750W cooler master.

Solution

ozgurkaya

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Dear Sirs,

I have a question for all,

I have a Sapphire H7770 Ghz Ed. OC and working on 1200 Mhz Core Clock with 1500 Mhz Memory Clock (6.0 Ghz Effective), All stable with no artifical visual effects

I got a 49 fps on the Shogun 2 Benchmark, High Quality 1080p

I looked all the forums and reviews and convinced to buy the second card to reach a performance of HD7950
I've done that simply because my board has 2 pcie X16 and this card gets a good crossfire performance, nearly doubles all the values, and this solution is 150 usd cheaper.

I put the second card and made a crossfire, I simply tried to work all 2 cards on 1200 Mhz Core Clock with 1500 Mhz Memory Clock (6.0 Ghz Effective),

I ran a Shogun 2 Benchmark, High Quality 1080p, computer frozen, had to reset

Then looked to the temperatures, I thought that it might got the northbrigde temperature too high simply because I am using 2 GPUs, which made the computer got frozen, but eventually the system temp. was 37 celcius, cpu 50 celcius and the gpu was 48 celcius,

So that's not because the temps, I simply changed the memory clock of the cards to 1350 Mhz (5400 Mhz Effective), while keeping the core clocks at same 1200 Mhz.

After that I ran Shogun 2 Benchmark, High Quality 1080p, I simply got 85 fps

Now, my question is why I can run a simple card on 1500 Mhz memory clock but can't run both cards on 1500 Mhz memory clock stable, Does memory clock overclock makes a problem when crossfire?

Why is that? any suggestions,

I haven't tried the memory clocks between 1350 Mhz and 1500 Mhz, Should I?

System;

Board: Gigabyte X48-QD6
Cpu: Q9650, Working 3,6 Mhz, (400X9)
Ram: OCZ 2X4 DDR2, 1200 Mhz, Working 1200 Mhz (400X3.0A)
GPU: Sapphire HD7770 Ghz Edition OC on 2 Way Crossfire (Original Clocks; Core: 1150 Mhz, Memory: 1250 Mhz = 5000 Mhz Effective)
Psu: 1000 Watt, Xlince
Catalyst: 12,7 Beta

Best Regards,

ozgurkaya

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks for the reply,

Also I want to ask, is this setup a good setup? regarding for the core clock and memory clock,
Should I push them further or is this enough?

Best Regards,

Seems good to me. I wouldn't shoot for a higher overclock unless you're wiling to increase the voltage and do increase the voltage because you probably need to increase it if you want to overclock further. I would prefer using 7770 2GB cards (such as the Asus Radeon 7770 2GB) for CF because 1GB is just not enough for several games at that level of GPU performance in order to run such games in full quality that your GPU performance should allow. Low VRAM and high performance is generally more suited for 120Hz gaming and/or 3D gaming.

ozgurkaya

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Also forgot to ask you,

Could the computer got frozen before the catalyst 12,7 beta version?
When running 1200 Mhz core to 1500 Mhz memory

Status
Not open for further replies.