Sign in with
Your question

Success Story for Wireless Networking

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 26, 2011 5:18:35 AM

We've been operating exactly what you are referring to for about 2 years now. We have a T1 coming into one house that connects to a Cisco server which feeds a switch that connects to a signal extender and several Meraki OD2 extended range antennas. We get a full 1.5Mbs download speed and ~1.4Mbs up. In our situation, there is no cable available so we are limited to phone cabling for the T1 source at a cost of ~ $430/month. In order to break even, we needed at least 8 household contracts to pay $70/month. A word of caution is that each household may have several devices (ie: Wii, Playstations, smart phones, routers, etc.). Therefore the load is much greater than just a single PC at each house. As a result, we have put limits on the gamers and movie watchers. Meraki provides a great cloud management system when you buy their equipment that allows us to monitor usage down to the device level. It also provides a map of the nodes and their status. It all works pretty well and given there is no other alternative as cell coverage in this area also is poor, 3/4G hotspot are of little value. The neighborhood is very happy to be connected now. I will mention that several of us tried sattelite (ie: HughesNet) and found it to be very poor in all aspects, service, speed and price. I say go for it! We did and it is working great!
September 27, 2011 10:40:25 PM

A neighborhood wireless network? Very neat concept... I like it.
m
l
September 28, 2011 12:19:54 AM

Great Idea .....Very cool story and thanks for sharing!
m
l
!