Video Issues

RobbyBob

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Well, here we go:

I recently helped my cousin purchase a new PC from a friend of mine. This PC has a discrete graphics card, but we had to use the integrated until we picked up a VGA to DVI adapter. Now here's the annoying part. As soon as we picked up the adapter and plugged everything in to the video card, nothing happened; standard video issue beep code on POST. So, we tried plugging it in the way we had it before (with just the VGA cable straight to the motherboard); nothing again. The next thing we tried was plugging it in to one of his HDTVs using an HDMI cable straight into the video card; works flawlessly, but this setup is not ideal.

Any ideas what this could be?

Hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI ms-7596 (v.1.3)
Video Card: Radeon HD 5670
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250

Not sure if any of the other hardware is of any consequence, but just ask if you need it.

Thanks,
Robert

randomkid

Distinguished
Might be a defective DVI->VGA adapter (although unlikely but the fact that the HDMI port works means your GPU is okay).

Your VGA connection to the motherboard probably did not work because you already plugged in the card & the mobo disabled the IGP.

Do you have another DVI->VGA adapter that you can try?

RobbyBob

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Not at the moment, but I was going to pick one up tomorrow, because I figured that could possibly be the problem (I've never had a defective adapter before, and I figure they're not very complex, so they should be easy enough to manufacture).

randomkid

Distinguished

Same here. In fact I have a surplus of DVI to VGA adapter. That is why I find it unlikely but given your specific case, its worth a try.

Anyway, what is the brand & model of your graphics card?