Sign in with
Your question

Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti for gaming and 3d rendering.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gaming
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2012 7:42:48 AM

Hi guys, first time asking a question here. I am from India.

2 years ago, i referenced from toms hardware and bought a mid range gaming pc
Specs:
Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 Ghz
Intel Desktop Board DH55TC
Transcend 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
XFX NVidia GeForce GT 240 1GB GDDR5 card
Hitachi 500 GB HDD
Samsung 20" LCD monitor with max res of 1600x900
iball Entry level (small) i2511 case-> http://iball.co.in/Product.aspx?c=5
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDM2MA==/$(KGrHqFHJB8E-NvkRpJhBPp2oHDuYg~~60_35.JPG

As for the power supply, i have a 220V 50Mhz PSU. I will change the PSU as per the requirements of a new card.

Few weeks ago, my GT 240's fan just dropped off the card. I have heard that you can install another fan on the card or something like that, so i have given it to repair. But now its been long sincee i upgraded PC and am thinking of buying a new card.

I need the new card for Not Hardcore, but atleast a Enthusiastic gaming. I am also aiming to be a professional 3D artist. So I would like a card that plays games while also enabling me to help work in 3d softwares like Maya and 3ds Max and Zbrush. I also want it to be able to render in V-Ray. I wanted to buy a GTX560, but Its too high cost and then I dont have space for a larger component case for extra cooling.

I am considering buying Zotac's GeForce GTX 550 Ti after reading your benchmark tests. There is a online site thats selling it at cheaper than usual price http://www.flipkart.com/zotac-nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti....
7700 Rs. are approximately 160-170 USD( Yeah usually athe new same card will cost me 200 USD if i buy from out of country). Will it be fine for my purposes?

Softwares to use -> Pixologic Zbrush 4.0, Maya2011 with VRay, 3DS Max2011 with VRay, Photoshop CS5, Premiere Pro CS5, After Effects CS5.

Future Games i would like to play: Max Payne 3, Dota 2, COD BO2, MOH Warfighter, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, etc. I am not a hardcore gamer, but i do love spending a lot of time gaming. I am not expecting perfect 60 FPS at Ultra settings, just want to be able to appreaciate the ingame graphics. Med to High settings will suffice.

If you guys have any other recommendations, pls tell me.

Don't...
Bump posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

More about : zotac nvidia geforce gtx 550 gaming rendering

June 22, 2012 6:28:05 PM

Um,... Its been 3 days, someone pls answeer

On the other info, I have got some people telling me, that Radeon HD 6850 is a better choice than the 550 Ti, and it costs almost the same. But when i saw the price, the HD 6850 costs about 10k , same as 550 Ti, but this 7700 Rs deal on 550 ti is really pulling me in.

I also heard that 3d Applications are better on Nvidia cards, because of their CUDA support. Is that true? Are Nvidia cards better at 3d appliations than ATI's?
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:39:38 PM

KidBuu said:
Um,... Its been 3 days, someone pls answeer

On the other info, I have got some people telling me, that Radeon HD 6850 is a better choice than the 550 Ti, and it costs almost the same. But when i saw the price, the HD 6850 costs about 10k , same as 550 Ti, but this 7700 Rs deal on 550 ti is really pulling me in.

I also heard that 3d Applications are better on Nvidia cards, because of their CUDA support. Is that true? Are Nvidia cards better at 3d appliations than ATI's?

Applications that support cuda will work with cuda. Radeon cards have more compute power than nvidia cards
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2012 6:41:53 PM

if you want an enthusiast gaming card get a gtx 670.

You will gladly enjoy it.

m
l
June 22, 2012 6:45:37 PM

maxh22 said:
if you want an enthusiast gaming card get a gtx 670.

You will gladly enjoy it.

Out of question and budget :|
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:46:53 PM

maxh22 said:
Applications that support cuda will work with cuda. Radeon cards have more compute power than nvidia cards

So does that mean that the 3dsMAX, MAYA and Photoshop will work better with NVIDIA than Radeon?
m
l
!